Hiking With A Grey

Guest Arielle

Guest Arielle

Hey hey, just wanted to know if anyone has greyhounds that they hike with. I've always loved hiking and would like to take my grey with me. She loves going for walks, but I'm wondering how she would handle the rocky, inclining trails that we have around here. I've read that their paws can be much more sensitive than other dogs', and (I've definitely noticed this) their stamina isn't too great. Any input? Thanks!

My girls (8 1/2 and almost 5) can go for several hours as long as it isn't too hot out. We don't hike on super rough trails, so it's never been a problem for their paws. Warm weather wears them out fast, though.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest june

When Jazzy was younger we did some really tough trails including national park trails with huge flights of open-backed steps and she did fine. We still do some trails, but not the really tough ones or for very far. She turns 10 in September.

Guest SusanP

My hounds always had a problem on rocky trails--They'd end up limping. Muttlucks helped, but amost of our hounds still pooped out befor I did. A lot depends on where you are hiking and how much ground you want to cover, as well as the individual dog.

never had a problem w/ rocky trails or stamina, you are hiking not running. i generally make sure i go out in the early morning, the heat does them in. have a long line leash, it's easier and you can just bundle it up when the lenght isn't needed. the cotton webbed leashes are excellent and reasonable.

Guest ryeamans

Charlie will hike with us if it's not too hot out, and if the trails aren't too rough. He definitely has a hard time on rocky/rough surfaces due to his sensitive feet. My boyfriend told me he's buying some hiking booties for Charlie (for MY birthday, of course, and not the dogs'), so we'll see how that goes :)

Our first three greyhounds always hiked with us, but it was in VT, so it wasn't too rocky and the temps. were usually cool. One would just lie down when he wanted a rest, so we'd sit and take a break for a few minutes till she was ready to go again. There were always streams nearby so the dogs could drink and cool off in they wanted. There were a few times we had to scramble over boulders, that wasn't so easy for them. Our hikes generally lasted a few hours, I don't think that's too long for a dog. Once we ended up hiking up a ridge down the road, were gone about 6 hours, and when we made it back to the house one of the dogs raced around the pond a few times before diving in. It depends on the dog, some you'd swear had a lot of lab in them, others are going to slow down in 15 minutes. Our last dog we hiked with had tons of energy, but wouldn't step over any fallen branches. We quickly learned to stay on trails and not take shortcuts through the woods, those ended up taking longer clearing a trail for him. We've got two more greys now, but live in FL, where the climate is rarely conducive to long hikes. We do miss our walks.

Guest DragonflyDM

Hey hey, just wanted to know if anyone has greyhounds that they hike with. I've always loved hiking and would like to take my grey with me. She loves going for walks, but I'm wondering how she would handle the rocky, inclining trails that we have around here. I've read that their paws can be much more sensitive than other dogs', and (I've definitely noticed this) their stamina isn't too great. Any input? Thanks!

Boomer hikes for simple day hikes. I don't know about anything that would be harsh terrain-- still need to keep the leash on.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I would build up your hiking distance if you don't know your dogs tolerance especially when it is warm out. I just go a mile out and back and the dog is wanting to stop all the time in the shade towards the end to pant, rest and cool down. When they decide they have had enough - they just stop and you don't want that point to be 5 miles from your car.

Edited by Snazzy_Chloe

I hike all the time and Teague is really good, except when it is hot out. When it is warm, he overheats very quickly and has low stamina so we have to keep our hikes to a couple of miles. It took him a little while to learn to crawl under tree branches/fences, jump logs, walk over wooden walkways, etc. but he just followed my other dog and now he is a pro! When hiking I prefer to use a harness, and a long leash.

Guest badderh

I recently heard of lacquers that you can put on your dog's paws to help protect their paws in rough terrain, I have no personal experience with it, but it might be worth a try!

Guest Angelique

Work up his stamina and endurance before the hikes or start slow and then take more challenging/longer routs. My boy does great. We can do 8 mi a day and he is fine. We are also lucky enough to often hike along river beds so there is always plenty of water/cooling area. Watch temps carefully and always carry plenty of water you may need to drench your hound if he is panting excessively. Don't forget to turn back before he is dragging or else you may have to carry him out - I've had to do this and its no fun.

Enjoy hiking with your hound! Just keep an eye on his panting and paws.

While living in Utah, we would hike a 6 mile RT trail.. a day trip - that had a lake at the top of the mountain where all the dogs could

lay in to cool off. All the greyhounds made it just fine, some with more enthusiasm than others.

elevation aprox 6500 ft,, many times there is still snow up at the top.

all greyhounds were kept on leash while hiking. so there wasn't a lot of exploration or "hunting" going on.. figure a 6 mile hike is good enough!

have fun!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest WhiteWave

We go hiking weekly. There are several places. One is pretty rough, but most are just flat since we live in FL. The one is narrow and steep. The dogs do better than I do. I took Ronon and Casper the other day and we went off trail around the water climbed down to sit in the shade for a bit and the dogs had to pull me up cause silly me was going to just take pics and wore my flip flops instead of my hiking boots!

My boys hopped right up there, I was stuck down below!

Gatorbait.jpg

But mine have never had issues with hiking. They all really love it. We take all of them from a French Bulldog to a Dogo Argentino. We also want to try out camping, never been with all the dogs, but going to try it as soon as the weather cools off. Gotta send in for a permit to camp at our favorite trail.

Some older pics

WhydoIhavetostareathisbutt.jpg

RipRonCasper.jpg

Mybabies.jpg

RipRononandCasper.jpg

RnR-2.jpg

Ronon2-3.jpg

CasperandRonon2.jpg

RononandRipley-3.jpg

We don't do rough terrain (not because of Summer but because of me) and, like others have said, unless it's really hot out... they do pretty good. I only hike in provincial parks and the trails are prepped. I, too, switch to a harness for hiking and a 6' leash instead of my regular 4'. And I only hike if DH is with me... because he slogs the water, LOL!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance