Totw/fromm Dry Food

I debated whether or not to put this post where all the "rants and raves" go. But since it pertains more to diet...here goes. My girls have been eating Taste of the Wild kibble for a few years now and do fine with that. With the recall recently, I stopped by my place that sells healthy foods, and was directed towards Fromm Salmon Tunalini. They both absolutely love it, and it seems to agree with them quite well (i.e. their poops are good). However, it is outrageously expensive. I spend a lot on my hounds, but this food is ridiculous. !!#$%&*! Anyone???

2rqyqhd.jpg

My two had been on TOTW venison for a long time. After the recall I switched to California Natural. I tried kangaroo and venison. Put both of them in the BIG D. Finally took them to vet and she didn't know if it was the TOTW or the California Natural. Put one dog on Panacur and both dogs on Science Diet ID. Stomach problems are going away. I do not think much of Science Diet and I think it WAY to costly, but may just let Trupanion Insurance pay 1/2 and just go with it. When I got my hounds I visioned sitting by the fire with lovely dogs laying on the floor peacefully. This has been the most expensive ride of my life, but I do love them!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I was directed toward Regal Pet Foods Salmon as an alternative. Looking at the ingredients list I found---- gasp --- NOTHING objectionable. Looking on line, I found they have never had a recall of any kind. I'm actually extremely impressed by what is in it.. I transitioned with the last of my bag of TOW Salmon, it costs a little LESS than the TOW Salmon did -- my only complaint is it's little tiny kibble and they had to get used to eating it a little differently -- poops are good... not seeing any changes and as I said.. I am really anal, I guess you'd say, about what I'm willing to feed my dogs and this stuff is actually high quality and a pretty good deal. I'm paying 35.98 for a 30# bag before taxes.

I just switched mine to Fromm Large Breed Adult because of the recall, too, and they've done really well on it. Mine was $47 for a 35 lb bag. I agree that the limited ingredient varieties (like Salmon Tunalini and Surf and Turf) are WAY too expensive - for me, at least - but the Large Breed Adult variety is definitely worth it in my opinion.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I just switched mine to Fromm Large Breed Adult because of the recall, too, and they've done really well on it. Mine was $47 for a 35 lb bag. I agree that the limited ingredient varieties (like Salmon Tunalini and Surf and Turf) are WAY too expensive - for me, at least - but the Large Breed Adult variety is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Same here only my guys are eating the Beef Frittia version. Cracker does best with beef. $56.00 for 26

pounds here in NY. About what TOTW was. My dogs do very well on Acana Ranchlands but that is just

stupid expensive. Kibble is a very small part of what I feed but I draw the line at an $80.00 bag of dry

dog food.

In addition to the Fromm's, I've fed some Nature's Variety before -- grain free and not -- but don't know where it's made etc. One of my pups is on an IAMS-based diet. If that is recalled, that will be the end of commercial dog food here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest K9_Lady

I feed Amy Fromm's but not the grain free. I mix a bag of the whitefish with a bag of salmon. A fish protein works best for Amy and she has done very well on this. I tried everything from high end foods to Purina before I found one that works for her. So it boils down to what ever works for YOUR dog…thats what is important :)

Good luck!

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Pssst... do check the Regal ingredients - -you can do that on line. Whether or not it's conveniently available to you is another matter, but the ingredients are truly impressive. And no... I'm definitely not affiliated with anyone, I'm just a bit astonished that I'm this satisfied with the ingredients in this brand. I always had it in my mind that they were Ok, now I'm thinking they're rather superior.

Guest Katwoman

Baron eats Fromm kibble. I switch flavors each time I buy a new bag. I just bought the duck and sweet potato yesterday..........$57.99 plus tax. I too am amazed at the price of pet food. We have 3 kitties as well and between the grocery bill and the vet bill we spend a small fortune. All well worth it, but keeps us from adding anymore to the pack right now.

Guest WhiteWave

I like Fromm. Just got samples of the Tunalini and dogs loved it. But you are right, it is expensive. I've fed the From Surf and Turf, Salmon A la veg, and the Pork and Applesauce. Dogs did fine on all we tried.

It is a good company. I was thinking of trying their Gold Line, but have just never done so yet. It looks decent for a grain inclusive food.

Guest BrianRke

Pssst... do check the Regal ingredients - -you can do that on line. Whether or not it's conveniently available to you is another matter, but the ingredients are truly impressive. And no... I'm definitely not affiliated with anyone, I'm just a bit astonished that I'm this satisfied with the ingredients in this brand. I always had it in my mind that they were Ok, now I'm thinking they're rather superior.

I will have to check that out. Thanks for the info.

Guest Houndie

I was directed toward Regal Pet Foods Salmon as an alternative. Looking at the ingredients list I found---- gasp --- NOTHING objectionable. Looking on line, I found they have never had a recall of any kind. I'm actually extremely impressed by what is in it.. I transitioned with the last of my bag of TOW Salmon, it costs a little LESS than the TOW Salmon did -- my only complaint is it's little tiny kibble and they had to get used to eating it a little differently -- poops are good... not seeing any changes and as I said.. I am really anal, I guess you'd say, about what I'm willing to feed my dogs and this stuff is actually high quality and a pretty good deal. I'm paying 35.98 for a 30# bag before taxes.

The Regal Salmon looks pretty good. Can you tell me if you ordered this food online, or got it locally? I haven't been able to find it locally, and the only online place I've seen ran $48 before tax, plus shipping. Thanks!

Guest BrianRke

Well I emailed the Regal company and asked where I could buy their food locally and I never got a reply. Thats not a good way to do business. I found Fromm's so I bought that and the dogs are doing really well on it.

My two are on TOTW Pacific Stream. I have not taken them off since the recall because they have been fine, but had started mixing in another food "just in case". I am mixing in Pro Plan Salmon for sensitive skin & stomachs. They are transitioning very well, and it is a little bit less expensive than TOTW. I still haven't decided if we are doing a full switch over, but I am happy with it if we do.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com