Nail Broke Off -Options, Possible Toe Amputation?

Opie(he just turned 9) has had an issue with one of this back toes for a while. The toe would appears to be infected, as it swells up, both times after running. First time, vet took some fluid out, did not see anything abnormal, gave antibiotics, toe got better. About a year later, same issue, we took same course, toe got better. Today DH was walking him, a crow jumped on the ground, Opie lunged to get it, DH somehow managed to step on the toe (of course the same toe), but just the nail, and the nail was hanging off, short, and bleeding. We rinsed and wrapped, and by the time we got to the vet an hour later, the nail fell off in the wrapping. However, the toe still has a nail on it. Vet was baffled, as we were trying to decide where the nail came from. As there was lots of blood from the side of the toe, it almost looked like it was an additional nail trying to grow out.

So the issue now is what to do. Opie is home on antibiotics and pain meds, We go back Friday for a recheck. We were given lots of options to consider. Do we see if this heals basically and do nothing else? Do we go ahead and do some Xrays and/or biopsy? If there is an issue, amputation would possibly warranted then. Do we assume that this is a chronic problem and just amputate, and then the toe would be sent for a biopsy anyways?

Very confused, and don't really want to amputate toe if it is not necessary. I know some people have done this with toes that won't heal, or chronic problems, but my gut reaction says not to just jump in and do this.

What else do I need to consider here?

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest sja5032

I don't understand why you would amputate because of a nail? Its nothing major, Firewall's nails do this from time to time also (break off and there is a nail underneath). So what if there is an inconvenience once and a while? It just seems very extreme to chop off a toe because of a nail. I would let it heal and see what happens.

We have no knowledge or experience, S usan, but hope others do and give you some good advice. Hugs to you and Albert, and special scritches to Opie.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

There is a condition where a sort of extra horny growth comes out of the toe pad, either underneath or between the toes. It sort of looks like a nail, but it's more like, well, a horny growth! :blink: Maybe more like a corn or something like that. Not usually cancerous, just annoying in the extreme.

They are mostly benign unless they cause problems with walking, or get infected. Then, I believe the only permanent "cure" is to amputate the toe.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Its definately not a horny growth. I think the nail might have come off of the the nail underneath is what we are all seeing. I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed an extra nail growing on his foot. The only concern was that this toe was the one that periodically becomes inflated, so wondering if something else was going on there. My instinct tells me to wait and see if it heals. Tonight after work he was bouncing all over the place - we did our best to calm him down. He had a short walk and pooped, and then is back in the house. Foot is all bandaged, and does not seem to be bothering him much. We have a baby sock on top of his bright orange vet wrap.

Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Going back to the vet tomorrow to take off the bandage, and DH and I have decided to just let this heal. Opie is walking almost normally (as normal as can be with the foot bandaged). We discussed the whole event and details for the past few days and this was just a nail that cracked because DH stepped on his foot when Opie was lunging for a crow. The nail was definately hanging off an existing nail. We were so upset, with all the blood, the vet got us a bit nuts about perhaps this being an additional nail, amputating toe, etc. Unfortunately it was on a toe that got infected before, but that was coincidental - he could have stepped on any toe. The bleeding was actually on the side of the toe, not the toenail itself (or most of the blood), as they were on pavement, and it rubbed raw across the pavement. Depending on how it looks tomorrow at the recheck, we will just let it heal and go on. If in the future he has any more issues with this toe, we may decide to xray. But not biopsy, no amputation now. To me, now that we are all calm, this is crazy.

Back from the vet, no talk of toe amputation this time. But to make the story even stranger, when she took the bandages off, lo and behold, there was another toenail piece - this time with a pointy edge. Huh? Where did that come from? First nail broke off, she cut all his nails shorter, and of course blunt, now where in the heck did this pointy nail come from? Is he just sloughing off toenails? But from where? Anyways, it looks better, its bandaged again until we go away next weekend, back for a check and rebandage before we leave. This is baffling. His other toenails all look fine, so it doesn't appear to be that toenail autoimmune disease.

Any input on this would be appreciated.