My Dog Just Ate Some Russell Stover Chocolates

Guest dray1965

Guest dray1965

From everything I've read so far, I think Bailey is safe, but I want to throw this out there. He just ate 4 or 5 pcs of Russell Stover milk chocolates! He weighs 84lbs. I didn't even see theobromine listed on the box. Should I be worried? I don't think he ate any wrappers - I found all of them. Please advise.

I found this on Dog Owners Digest (online):

Knowing which chocolate is the most toxic is important, but leaves one wondering how much must be eaten to poison a dog. The list in this box should be helpful. Maybe you can clip it and post it on your refrigerator.

• White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
  • Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
  • Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
  • Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

CJMF 6/0

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

If it were my dog, I wouldn't be very upset. I'm guessing here that they were filled with some kind of cream? I don't think milk chocolate is nearly as bad as dark chocolate or cocoa. You can always look it up on google or call the pet poison control or the ER vet.

Guest dray1965

Thanks everyone! Makes me feel better consulting with greyhound owners. This is my first encounter with a dog eating chocolate. I only put it up - but not far enough away from old needlenose obviously! It's closed up now where he can't get it. However, I am officially swearing off having chocolate in this house! Can't take the stress of worrying!

Guest dray1965

No reason to swear off chocolate. You must have cabinets, a microwave, a top of the fridge and/or sealed container to place on high to stash chocolate. I've only had one GH mix that could clear the top of the fridge.:blush:)

Guest dray1965

The remainder is in the microwave now. I just figure if I don't have it in the house, I won't have to worry that I forget it on the counter. I'll eat chocolate outside of the home, but I don't want it to enter my domain. Might change my mind tomorrow - I've had this grey two and a half years, so far, there's been no emergencies (knock on wood). And he has gotten the occasional small bone on our walks that I couldn't rescue in time as well as the time he ate a one pound pot roast that he stole off the counter - raw! He's got a heck of a tummy! I guess all dogs get into things and survive without having to do any extraordinary measures.

My beloved lab counter surfed a 2lb chunk of Ghirardelli chocolate. She lived to tell the tale, didn't even need a trip to the vet. To this day, I don't know how she reached it, she was 65 lbs, but not tall like a greyhound. The chocolate was way back against the wall of the counter. She also ate a 2lb loaf of homemade bread that my dad made and sent home with me. I was sooooooooo mad at her!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My vet told me that the lower grade chocolates weren't the concern; it was the "good chocolate"; anything with 85% or higher cocoa that was a concern. Since he's so big and ate so little I wouldn't worry (although he may have some loose poop for a few days ;) ).

FWIW: I agree, he has VERY good taste! :colgate