Help With Food Choice Please

With the recent recalls I feel a need to change from Taste of the Wild.I am debatingng between:

Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free Venison

and

Grain Free AvoDerm Red Meat Meal & Potato Formula

Does anyone feed either of these or have a recommendation for a grain free food that has red meat (beef, buffalo or venison) and hopefully more reasonably priced. I found back when we had to change my bridge girl Gypsy to grain free that all of my pups did better on grain free.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Our hounds have done really well on Merrick's Before Grain. We use the chicken, but it's also available in buffalo and possibly (?) beef.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest WhiteWave

I feed Earthborn. My other dogs are on Meadows Feast which is lamb based, but getting ready to switch to Great Plains which is bison and we've fed before, but I switch thru flavors. My Greyhounds all active and have trouble keeping on weight, so they are switching from Native to Earthborn Primitive which is chicken/turkey based, but higher protien/fat and calories.

Here are the ingredients for the Great Plains

Bison Meal, Peas, Pea Protein, Tapioca, Dried Egg Product, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flaxseed, Lamb Meal, Pea Fiber, Natural Flavors, Blueberry Fiber, Cranberry Fiber, Apples, Blueberries, Carrots, Spinach, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Salt, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Yucca Schidgera Extract, Rosemary Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Casei Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product.

If you decide to go with the Avoderm, go to their website and ask for coupons. Tell them it is for a greyhound and they will send you a bunch. I think they sent me five $3 coupons. I know people who have gotten $5 coupons.

As for what we feed; if we still lived in NJ, I would have been feeding Costco grain free. So, that would have been a problem now with the recalls. Since we moved and there is no Costco nearby, I switched back to Avoderm. Found out that there is no Petco or Petsmart, so, I switched again to Iams in the green bag. My dogs have the best poops, nice coat and look great. I buy it in BJ's and pay about $42 for 50 lbs.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

At this point, anything I feed I am going to feel comfortable with whoever is manufacturing the product.

Look at Organix, Prairie & Honest Kitchen.

I used to feed Nutro and their products went to he** in a hand basket over time. When big companies buy out the good small companies, the quality never stays the same.

I've emailed Breeder's Choice & Caster Pollex which was just bought out by Merrick

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest sirsmom

Ours did well last year for awhile on Nutro Grain Free turkey but I switched off due to sudden weight gain. Our girls are both "easy keepers" but yours might do great.

Thank you for everyone's input. I decided to try NutriSource Nutrisource They have grain free and a buffalo version. The feed store I prefer to use carries NutriSource and will order the buffalo for me. NutriSource is only manufactured in one plant, I thought about going to Fromm, they are also only manufactured in one plant right here in Wisconsin. NutriSource comes in a bigger bag for the same price. With three to feed that was something to consider.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Guest Profgumby

Forgot about Fromm. Good food.

From Nature's Variety which is Prairie kibble:

Our products are all manufactured here in the U.S. – kibble in Texas through Pied Piper or CJ Foods in Kansas

I've been looking at Fromm. I can find no negative press about them at all. I will probably start mixing it in with the next batch of food. I have to get more kibble this week so no time like now...I am going ahead with blending 2 or 3 types of kibble (from 3 different manufacturing companies) so I can easily pull one form the mix and not upset the apple cart, as it were...This way if food producer #2 has a recall, it is dropped from the food mix and foods 1 and 3 wont be in the recall etc.