Afraid Of Dogs

Bella has been scared of big and medium size dogs since we lived in Florida. When we lived there, I would take them on walks every day. A couple of times when I took her and her sister for walks, a woman who lived in a house at the end of the street would let her dogs sit on the front lawn with no collars or leashes. I could not see them until we walked right in front of the house. They would chase and growl and bark at Bella and Angel. Bella got so scared; she would not go out for walks for a few days. Angel never seemed to be that concerned. I called the animal authorities after a couple of times. They came by, and a few months, no dogs outside. Then out of the blue, there they were again. One day the woman moved out, and no dogs at all. Bella could go on walks, but was still afraid of big dogs.

When I take her to the vacation pet spa, she is afraid when hearing the dogs inside barking, whooping, and hollering when a new dog would arrive. But Angel would be her strength and help her cope for the first hour or so being there. Now that Angel is gone, Bella is alone. A few days ago, for the first time since Angel crossed over, we took Bella there as we went out of town, and she was shaking, whining, and not wanting to go in. Sandy said that once the dogs settled down, she did well. We are planning on going on vacation next week and have her reserved there. My vet suggested a dose of 10mg of valium the morning I take her in.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing Pet Vacation Spa is a boarding kennel/open play daycare? If so, I worked at one for a couple of years and never had a single greyound that enjoyed it, including my Buck. I could take my dog to work if I wished but seldom did as he hated it. He was self assured, not scared but wanted nothing to do with the play area in the back.

My shy girls were both fine at gatherings if they had a big brother to hide under but would have self destructed alone.

Is there any way you could pay someone to keep her in their house (I did that for $25 a day for dogs that didn't do well at the daycare) or swap time with another GH owner and later watch theirs?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I'm guessing Pet Vacation Spa is a boarding kennel/open play daycare? If so, I worked at one for a couple of years and never had a single greyound that enjoyed it, including my Buck. I could take my dog to work if I wished but seldom did as he hated it. He was self assured, not scared but wanted nothing to do with the play area in the back.

My shy girls were both fine at gatherings if they had a big brother to hide under but would have self destructed alone.

Is there any way you could pay someone to keep her in their house (I did that for $25 a day for dogs that didn't do well at the daycare) or swap time with another GH owner and later watch theirs?

That would actually be the greatest idea and I would love it, but I do not know anyone here in my area that could do it. No one at church is experienced with dog sitting and it is short notice if I found anyone now. When Sandy has the dogs go out for their "outing" time in the yard, she only lets them out one dog at a time. Or in the case with my girls, they went out together - just the two of them. But she does have girls there that play with them and cuddle with them on their outings. I call to check on her.

Too bad you are in Texas, I would ask you to take her.

Edited by LadyGrey

• 2 weeks later...

Pam's suggestion is what I was thinking for your future trips too. Many dogs are sensitive and don't fare too well in kennels or daycare. Could you contact the closest Greyhound adoption group/s to ask for suggestions of other "Greyhound experienced" adopters to contact for shared petsitting? It would be helpful to develop a Greyhound savvy contact now, before your next trip.

If that adoption group has a local Greyhound member forum, they might allow newer area residents to join their forum. This could be an excellent local resource for you.

Another idea: You might consider reposting to Greytalk in "Everything else Greyhound" asking for Greyhound sitting exchange in your region.

Good luck. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

I sympathise with Bella about the whooping and hollering. There is an all-breeds doggy daycare place next to our local park, it's well run by a couple of nice girls but whenever we walk past and hear all the dogs clamouring with excitement I always think 'gosh, Doc would hate to spend the day there' - and he's a big confident boy!

Contacting a local greyhound group for ideas for the future sounds a good way to go. I am lucky - Doc came from one which has its own kennels, and keeps a few available for holiday boarders. If you can find a similar greyhounds-only setup that might actually be a good alternative to home boarding. These dogs do appreciate the company of their own kind and although it may look a bit spartan compared to home he slots back quite happily into kennel life and routines - and I have the reassurance of knowing he's in expert hands, and that the (modest) fee I pay goes to benefit the rescue.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.