Diatomaceous Earth . . .

Hi all. I was wondering if any of you have used DE to control worms like hooks? I know it needs to be food grade but I don't know how to administer and how much to give. I know it's not good for me or the dog to breathe.

Also, anyone use it multiple times a year as a preventative?

Anyone's vet approve this?

Any warnings/bad stories?

Thanks to all who reply.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

This site has the best info:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

I've used it. I bought a huge 50lb bag a few years ago and we are still using it. I have given daily in their food for a while. Then I stop, then I'll give it for a while again. Never noticed a huge difference. It works ok for fleas, but since I have dogs with flea allergies, it is not effective enough so we use Comfortis. For worms, I still use Ivomec, Pyrantel and Panacur. So not sure how effective it really is. I do use it on mattresses, couch and baseboards to help keep the fleas and bedbugs away. I figure it can't hurt and I have a lot of it that needs to be used.

Never had any ill effects on any of the dogs of various ages, sizes and breeds.

Guest madredhare

I have used the food grade as a supplement in the dog's food as well. One tablespoon on their food is what I used. I find it pretty interesting stuff. We have also used it around the house to kill brown recluse spiders. Since the dogs can eat it, we didn't have to worry about them ingesting any of it and getting sick.

After Summer ate a wild rabbit, I put her on it for several weeks. She never developed the worms that I understand are common from eating wild bunnies. But maybe that particular bunny was lucky and didn't have any in the first place? :dunno

I also had her on it when I first got her and she had hookworm... but she was also treated with Drontal Plus. Which one did the job and obliterated the hooks? :dunno

Would I use it alone on a dog with a confirmed case of hookworm? No. I'm not much of a homeopath, I guess.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

After Summer ate a wild rabbit, I put her on it for several weeks. She never developed the worms that I understand are common from eating wild bunnies. But maybe that particular bunny was lucky and didn't have any in the first place? :dunno

I also had her on it when I first got her and she had hookworm... but she was also treated with Drontal Plus. Which one did the job and obliterated the hooks? :dunno

Would I use it alone on a dog with a confirmed case of hookworm? No. I'm not much of a homeopath, I guess.

What I am thinking about is using it as a daily supplement. Kevin has hooks again. We got rid of them a year ago (maybe- the test said we did) after he came to us with a bad case. He just did 3 days of panacur. He's supposed to repeat 3 weeks after the first treatment. I am considering asking for Drontal instead. I am also thinking about future prevention. It's either a DE program or routine wormings. I don't want to have him on wormer all the time once he's clean if I can avoid it. Thought DE might be an option.

finalsiggy.jpg

I know some people who put their dogs on DE every day in the warm weather, to prevent worms. And they've done it for years with no bad side effects. And with no worms. I can get the dosage they use, if you'd like. It's either 1 Tbsp. or 2 Tbsp, I don't remember which.

And yes, I endorse the Drontal choice. I don't hear a lot of good things about Panacur, it seems to be less effective.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest RaznNik

We use it and have used it for the past 2 years. No worms, no problems. I was giving it every day, but am reducing to one month on, one month off. Dose is 1 Tbsp per day, mixed in their food, with a little water. It is also supposed to be very good to get rid of slugs etc in your garden - I don't do this, but have heard many do.

I've been using it for about six years now. I haven't used flea treatment on my pets since beginning it. It's fabulous stuff.

I actually dust the perimeter of the house with it yearly to keep ants, earwigs, and other creepycrawlies out of the house. Works like a charm!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I tried it last summer for a short while but the dogs got worms from the dog park anyway

How long was a short while? Diatomaceous earth will not prevent your dog from getting worms, what it does is kill the worms. You do have to give it long enough though to kill worms at all stages of development.

Oh, and as to the question of the safety of it that some may have. I've put it in oatmeal I've eaten.

If your dog has worms, please use a wormer.

What do you imagine diatomaceous earth would do to internal worms that it would not also do to the lining of your dog's intestines?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If your dog has worms, please use a wormer.

What do you imagine diatomaceous earth would do to internal worms that it would not also do to the lining of your dog's intestines?

This is why I use it topically instead of internally. ;) Though our supplier swears by it. He eats a tablespoon everyday.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.