Foot Pad Injury

Guest WhiteWave

Guest WhiteWave

Two nights ago, Ronon kept licking at his foot. So I looked at, it was slightly red inbetween his toes, but I didn't see anything. So I put a little Gold Bond powder on them. Well that night, I rolled over and my foot hit something wet. Ronon had licked and chewed at his foot until the bed was soaking wet and he has a pencil eraser size hole in toe pad. He is limping. Will not put any weight at all on the foot. He had no balance and can barely move w/o the use of that leg. He is hobbling around with the foot stuck out and keeps falling on his face.

I'm thinking their may have been a tiny cut on the foot that I didn't notice, but he made it worse by the licking/chewing. I had some vet wrap that came w/ a foam padding w/ silver in it to prevent infection. Clean the foot, let it dry and wrapped it up.

I'm not sure whether to take him to the vet or not. I don't really see anything they can do for it. It doesn't look infected. Just a piece of the black pad is missing from him chewing it. It will have to grow back. I felt up and down his leg, all inbetween his toes, he shows no response until the you touch the place the pad is missing and he screams like you are murdering him. I do not think anything is broken. He was walking fine on it when we went to bed, but started limping that morning after licking/chewing it all night.

He is being very dramatic with this. He wasn't this bad when he actually had something go thru his foot and left a hole that got severely infected the time we got lost in the swamp and had to walk thru water to get back to the car.

He is eating/drinking and otherwise fine unless he has to move and then it is just totally pathetic watching him.

Any suggestions?

Well Beth got a foot pad injury last Friday -- evidently more minor than that (she only limped intermittently when the area hit something right). But if he's three-legging, screaming, and licking it it hurts him. So at the very least I'd put him on pain meds for a few days -- I gave Beth Deramaxx for a couple of days and it did seem to help. And I used antibiotic gel on the wound twice a day and a Pawz bootie to keep in clean when we were outside. It's Tuesday now and Beth seems pain-free in that foot although of course the pad has more healing to do.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I would just keep an eye on it, to make sure it didn't get infected. Fletcher does this all the time. Gets a small scrape (because he's a klutz) then licksandlicksandlicks until it is bigger and sore :rolleyes: Then I have to chase him around to put something on it :rolleyes:

Guest lfreem2

Ellie was walking on mulch a few weeks ago and put a good deep slice into her paw pad and she was bleeding. I put some blood stop powder on her foot and wrapped her up. Of course, she tore the wrapping off it in about 5 minutes. I called the vet (long term greyhound owner), and he laughed. Just said this was going to be typical greyhound antics that I should become well familiar with. He said paw pad issues such as these are very common in greyhounds. It was definitely a sensitive spot for her in terms of walking for 3 or 4 days, so I just walked her on grass or soft ground instead of concrete. I just checked it several times a day and used a topical antibiotic ointment to prevent infection. She did attempt to nibble on her pad, but I put some of that spray on her foot you use to keep them off couches and such, and she left it alone. It healed fine.

Edited by lfreem2

Maybe he's got a piece of something (glass, wood) stuck in there. Have you tried an epsom soak?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest WhiteWave

Thanks. There is nothing in there. He is doing some better this afternoon. Not making such a scene walking on 3 legs. He is still trying to eat the bandage off so I added insult to injury and put a muzzle on him. Ronon HATES muzzles. I did give him some Metacam and I added a Tramadol last night to help him sleep. It is not red or infected and the foot is nice and dry thanks to the bandage. It just the black part of the pad is chewed off of a tiny little spot, maybe 1/2 the size of a dime if that on his middle toe.

Ronon freaks going to the vets office and has to be sedated so I try to avoid if I can. I think he will be ok. He is just such a drama queen or maybe I should say drama king! :)

Yeah, I'm sure the middle toe would be ouchier than Beth's injury which was on her big pad, not toes. Glad he's getting better! That vet business would not be fun ... Beth loves it there so much we almost look for excuses to go (and we're such good clients they didn't even charge us for looking at her foot).

Guest kellygreyhound

Just adding a note about the wonders of Manuka honey! Kelly had some pretty nasty abrasions on her remaining back leg after her amputation, since it was her only rear leg left, I had to bandage and pad it up well so she could get around without pain. I also kept treating it with a little Manuka honey--and I think that really sped up the healing process.

Sweetdogs mentioned epsom soak and it reminded me of the time my father's German Shorthaired Pointer ran his pads raw playing in the sand on a sunny day (he didn't even notice until he finally stopped running!). Our vet suggested an epsom soak, so we decided to try it. Oh my the howling we heard when we tried that!

Guest PiagetsMom

Both my pups have tolerated epsom salt soaks well when it was recommended by their vet, and they did seem to help. Mirage had an injured pad, and Maya had a sensitive corn. We just filled a large bucket with warm water and the salts, and stuck their foot in for 5 minutes or so, and then with Mirage, followed up with anti-biotic ointment. Might want to give it a try if he'll let you :)

Guest WhiteWave

Tried the Epson salt soak. It made it red, not sure if that is good or bad. It was warm water.

What is looked like after soaking for a few minutes.

Rononstoeinjury.jpg

Ronon hiding behind Rebel so the evil Doctor women will leave him alone.

Rononhiding.jpg

gotta love those drama queens :lol it doesn't look too bad :)

I was expecting worse too - Ronan! rolleyes.gif

The purpose of the soaks is to draw out whatever is embedded. So longer is better. And a couple of times a day.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

When you guys say antibacterial ointment, you mean like Polyspoirn for humans?

Yep. I have a kind called Mupirocin from my vet -- he says it's really good (even uses it on his kids!).

I was reading online about footpad injuries with Beth in the last week, and a couple of online vets recommended silver sulfadiazine ointment for them. I had some from a previous injury to Beth, so I switched over to using that.

Humm, you can probably zoom into the original photo better on your computer, but I think I *might* be seeing 1 or 2 teeny tiny discolorations (foreign objects or holes?) in the middle of the open wound. (I assume no chance part of a foxtail could have dug it's way inside the paw either?) Maybe you can see a side view of that side of the toe.