Bloody Urine

Guest aowam

Guest aowam

Walked Gable tonight and noticed his initial pee was long coming and a little weak. Very quickly he ran out of pee (never happens!!!) And theeeen i noticed the little drops were pink. Then red. We walked further and exact same result. I quickly went home and called the vet and made an appt first thing tomorrow. So worried....any ideas???? This is my first dog and first vet appt. Aaaaaaaaahhhhh

Possibly a urinary tract infection. Let him drink plenty of water. Vet probably will prescribe an antibiotic. Vet likely will want to check for kidney or bladder stones, so may want x-rays. Gable may want lots of trips outside tonight--probably feeling as if he needs to pee often, but may have trouble getting anything out if he needs more water.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest greybookends

Could be any number of things. UTI, Bladder stones, kidney stones or a prostate problem. Best to have the vet check it out.

Hopefully it's just an urinary tract infection (UTI). Try and collect some urine in a clean container (new Tupperware works well here) tomorrow prior to your vet appointment.

Do offer a lot of water tonight- you may even want mix water into his food to increase the water consumption.

Most likely he'll feel an urgency to urinate-- let him out frequently-- don't plan on much sleep tonight :-)

Your vet will most likey run an urine analysis and possibly a urine culture. Also, your vet should send your hound home with antibotics and possibly a NSAID. Please try not to worry as these are kind of common. Keep us posted!

The only other point to mention is to make sure he is urinating tonight, especially if he didn't fully empty his bladder earlier AND with the extra water he might be drinking. Good luck....hopefully it's just an infection which is easily treated with antibiotics.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

The only other point to mention is to make sure he is urinating tonight, especially if he didn't fully empty his bladder earlier AND with the extra water he might be drinking. Good luck....hopefully it's just an infection which is easily treated with antibiotics.

Greyt point- a blocked hound is not a happy hound.

Any update?

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest aowam

Got back from the vet and the first thing she said coming in the door was it was a "raging infection." Apparently the urine sample (thanks, btw to people who suggested that I do that!!!!! It's nice to be prepared!!) was saturated with bacteria. He is on an antibiotic for 2 weeks and then another urinanalysis. If it's not gone then will have to look and see if he has bladder stones. On top of the UTI, he also had a double ear infection. We wondered why he always shook so much. I am so glad that it is just a UTI and not something more horrific. Just have to wait and see how he does. :) Thanks for the tips and support!

I'm so glad that its a treatable infection, and that you also caught the ear infection too!

Since I learned the hard way that my boy Riley doesn't respond to some antibiotics, I'll just mention that if you don't notice improvement within a week, you should be calling your vet to consider a change in antibiotics (fingers crossed that you don't need that, though).

Got back from the vet and the first thing she said coming in the door was it was a "raging infection." Apparently the urine sample (thanks, btw to people who suggested that I do that!!!!! It's nice to be prepared!!) was saturated with bacteria. He is on an antibiotic for 2 weeks and then another urinanalysis. If it's not gone then will have to look and see if he has bladder stones. On top of the UTI, he also had a double ear infection. We wondered why he always shook so much. I am so glad that it is just a UTI and not something more horrific. Just have to wait and see how he does. :) Thanks for the tips and support!

How long have you had him that you've never taken him to the vet? Normally it's advised that ANY new pet be taken to the vet within the first 10 days to 2 weeks, if for no other reason than for the vet to meet the dog when it's not sick. I also wasn't willing to accept the very sparse paperwork that was provided with him from the race track vet that he was in good health.

I hope both issues clear up quickly.. Good luck!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck