Tick Preventative

We are going to GIG and need tick preventative. We don't need it here but I want to protect the pups in PA. My vet suggested and ordered Advantix for us (I haven't picked it up yet) but some people indicated their pups reacted to it. What exactly does that mean? Is that "rushed to the evet "reactive or "lethargic" reactive, etc?

Some folks indicated that Frontline was ineffective. Our vet said Revolution, which we use for HW from June - Nov, it won't work for ticks, yet robin_w's vet prescribed it for Iker and Treasure.

I need to make a decision this week and I'd like to err on the side of caution. I do want to use something though because I don't want to take any risks and miss finding a tick, or worse.

TIA

Jan

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Frontline has always worked for us. Arrow got a tick the last time we were at MH and I had Frontline spray. I sprayed the tick and it was dead a few hours later.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Revolution only has activity against one type of tick (found in the southern States) and is an "aid in the prevention of" another (found here in Southwestern Ontario). In the US however, Revolution has absolutely no label claim for the latter and I don't think vets in the States think it does much against the one tick it is supposedly labelled for.

K9 Advtantix is labelled for all 3 commonly found ticks in the US/Canada. Summit had it when we first got him because I found a couple ticks on him and upon identification found it was a tick from down south, the carrier of Babesia and Ehrlichia. The only "reaction" he had to it was the first dose made him kind of itchy. However other than that I didn't notice any problems with it. I was told that you can put Vitamin E oil on at the same time in order to prevent this type of reaction.

Frontline... we don't have here so I don't know quite as much about it. It's licensed and has worked very well in the past, but apparently recently there have been some reports of possible decreased efficacy. Maybe resistance is coming up. Not sure.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

We use Frontline. So far the only individuals to get ticks in our household are grammy and I :lol .

Whatever product you use (collar or topical), you want to apply it 4-5 days BEFORE Gig so it has time to distribute properly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Get a tick collar. Preventic collars work great.

The ONLY topical that repels ticks is Advantix.

Any dog (any breed) MIGHT react to one topical or another. I don't believe there is any known problem with Greyhounds and Advantix. In fact I used it on George for a couple of months but my vet doesn't want me to use it because of my cat (who is all over the dog all the time!).

Frontline will EVENTUALLY kill a tick that is already feeding, but if you want to keep them OFF, you need a tick collar.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck