New Food-How Long To Make The Transition ?

After trying all the suggestions you listed a couple of weeks ago, we have decided to try a different food for Ruby. Went to Costco today and bought the Turkey/Sweet potato non grain version. She has been on the Salmon version for about a year, but lately her farting has been horrendous. I tried yogurt, pumpkin, taking away the extra treats, making sure she didn't have worms, etc. with no relief. She has been gassing us for hours each night.

So wondering how slowly I need to do this ? Tonight I gave her about 1/4 of the new food in with the old and even though I know this is a coincidence, not one single fart tonight (YAY). I don't have a lot of the salmon food left so is it OK to jump into 1/2 & 1/2 quickly and then on to the new food within a week or so ?

Karen

I either switch cold turkey or over 3-4 days. The only reason I sometimes do 3-4 days is so I can see if the new food is going to cause blowout diarrhea, vomiting, etc. If it starts causing problems at only 30-50%, I can stop there and move on to something else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sweet potatoes belong to the family of plants called Convolvulaceae not Nightshade.

Sure, but they are closely related.

What I can't forget is these dead cows

Actually as the article states sweet potatoes are like a distant cousin to white potatoes and it wasn't the sweet potatoes per se, but a toxin from being improperly stored and getting moldy that caused the death of those cows. Unfortunately that can happen with many foods if not stored properly.

I spoke too soon. Ruby ate her dinner last night with gusto but has barely touched it since. She turned her nose up at it this morning after only a few nibbles( I thought she was eating it from where I sat), and when I tried to feed her tonight, she sniffed it and walked away. Guess she doesn't like it. I do remember getting her sweet potato dried slices and would find them under her bed. She also didn't like some sweet potato bacon treats I tried once. This big bag might be headed back to Costco in the morning. Back to the salmon fart variety.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

I spoke too soon. Ruby ate her dinner last night with gusto but has barely touched it since. She turned her nose up at it this morning after only a few nibbles( I thought she was eating it from where I sat), and when I tried to feed her tonight, she sniffed it and walked away. Guess she doesn't like it. I do remember getting her sweet potato dried slices and would find them under her bed. She also didn't like some sweet potato bacon treats I tried once. This big bag might be headed back to Costco in the morning. Back to the salmon fart variety.

You may be dealing with SIBO in which case a lot of gas will be produced and because of feedback loops food can be held back allowing it to ferment further. info here

I wonder if your vet could find the correct cocktail of antibiotics like for treating H. pylori?

I can't tolerate sweet potatoes well either as they quickly bring on a major gas problem which can shut the system down only making things worse. It's a shame because I love the taste when nicely prepared.

Sweet potatoes belong to the family of plants called Convolvulaceae not Nightshade.

Actually as the article states sweet potatoes are like a distant cousin to white potatoes and it wasn't the sweet potatoes per se, but a toxin from being improperly stored and getting moldy that caused the death of those cows. Unfortunately that can happen with many foods if not stored properly.

Yes, indeed. However this is a specific (to sweet potatoes) toxicity and if any food is going to be kept beyond shelf life then it ought not to be sweet potatoes. Not least because fermentation exacerbates the hepatotoxicity of mold-damaged sweetpotatoes. (According to the source: This is also the first demonstration that sweetpotato regions lacking visible mold damage can induce lung and kidney injury.)

(According to the source: This is also the first demonstration that sweetpotato regions lacking visible mold damage can induce lung and kidney injury.)

I didn't see that in the article, that would certainly be concerning. Thanks for that information.