Kibble And Wet

Guest aowam

Kibble, wet, or both  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feed your grey

By the way, when Americans say 'a cup of kibble', what exactly does that mean? And doesn't it vary with the type of food you are using?

Our 'cups' that come with the dog food I use (James Wellbeloved at the moment) measure out 150g of kibble. Three to four of those sounds like a huge amount. Jeffie gets two a day, Sid gets about one and a quarter - and I've had to cut him down recently to avoid him getting too fat! They do get a spoonful of add-in with each meal, but even so .. four cups that size? Really?

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It takes us several days to go through a can--I just use about a tablespoon of wet with some warm water, and I mix it around to soften it a bit. I've done this in the past few years because we don't have the same number of toofers left as we were born with... old man = softer food :wub:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We too are new adopters.

Our two were getting dry, with a spoonful of canned to add flavor. They cleaned their bowls.

THEN they stopped eating, looked at their food and turned away. We stopped the canned, and added a little yogurt. They are back to eating everything.

We checked and the case of canned had two formulas, they ate well with the one on the top layer, but stopped when it was changed to the other. Same brand, just different flavor.

This might help you. I have one grey who just turned a year old- very skinny. His hip plates and all the vertebrae in his spine show. So I've been gradually trying to get him to gain a little bit of weight. I give him two cups of dry food in the morning, two at night, and for each meal I mix in a half can of wet food. My other boy is 4 years-old, his weight is fine. He gets one and a half cups twice a day with a spoonful of greek yogurt mixed in. The reason I started mixing in yogurt was because he would see the puppy getting "special food," and would persistently try to swoop in and steal it. But the yogurt is a good solution because it's only a little bit, it is great for digestion, and he absolutely loves it. He used to sort of graze, but now he gobbles everything up in a hurry.

So if you decide to, you can start mixing in wet food, then when his weight is where you want it, transition to something like yogurt or cottage cheese.