Training A Second Greyhound

So, I've had my first greyhound for six months. He is just about completely adapted to retirement, and is a wonderful dog. No aggression or fear; he is friendly, outgoing, and well-trained (doesn't surf counters, have accidents, chew, etc.). But I am still working on his separation anxiety, which has been a long road to travel. He's gotten much better and, now on a very low dose of fluoxetine (10 mg daily), he tolerates alone time without barking, but mostly just lays and stares at the door. In any event, I am very close to getting a second dog, but am determined to avoid any mistakes I made the first time around. To this end, I'm wondering how people go about training with a dog already in their home.

For instance, I want to make sure this second dog is as self-sufficient as possible. I can't imagine they'd ever really be separate, but I want to make sure that they could be, and will do everything I can to ensure that my second remains self-sufficient, and that I can continue to make progress with the grey I already have. Do people find that they had different training regimens with a second? Maybe walking separately, or immediately taking one dog and leaving the other right from the get-go? How about crating? Should I go back to crating both my dogs until the new one is comfortable? (I hear the new one tends to whine when he's crated and the other dogs aren't -- he's in foster care right now). My apartment is one large studio space, so I can't really have them in different rooms while at home.

Any advice would be much appreciated. As I have been borrowing a second to keep mine company frequently, I know that a second really isn't much more work than one. Definitely more expensive, but more fun, too. Still, I'm a little anxious about it and wrestling with the decision. It's a big commitment, and I want to make sure I'm not acting foolishly.

Here's the new guy I'm thinking of adopting:

7035029373_95e3347c5c.jpg

I didn't have to deal with separation anxiety with my first. That being said, my second dog learned from the first one. I didn't crate either one when I left the house. I do muzzle, though, to avoid any potential problems. They are also muzzled while in the car. Good luck and congrats!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I have never had fewer than three or four in my adult life. So I have never had to leave just one alone! Adopt two more :lol

In all seriousness, I am sure you'll get good advice!

I have never had fewer than three or four in my adult life. So I have never had to leave just one alone! Adopt two more :lol

:lol:nod That's what I like about three. You can take one and let the other two keep each other company.

What a beautiful boy!!!

I'm not sure why you think that you made mistakes with your SA boy. I seriously doubt it was something that you caused, rather something that he came with. My terrier was abandoned in a vacant house and tossed food for 4 months. The terrorist had BIG issues that were not of my making. A year later he'd turned into a pretty decent non destructive little dog.

As far as training the new one to be self sufficent I'd suggest that you make sure your second hound is a self sufficent dog to start with...and one that whines when he's crated and others aren't may not be the most self sufficent dog on the planet. :dunno

It's just me, but I think I'd muzzle vs. crate (totally up to you if you want to crate both) and NOT take the dogs on separate walks. It is a flaw of mine to try and think like a dog :blush but then everyone here will tell you that I'm not quite right in the head. :lol I think it would REALLY make your existing dog mad if you brought home a new guy and then you and the new one left without him -- "...He was just leaving me. Now he's leaving me for someone else!!!!"

Talk to your adoption group and ask about the most bulletproof male they have then see if you can test drive him. I'll be my broken record self and say the bigger they are the sweeter and bulletproof they usually are and for some reason two guys usually get along well. Then just bring the new guy in and make him at home. Guess I'm trying to say if you want to get a second to keep your dog company, than let it keep him company.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

reports so far seem to suggest that the issue is more with the crate. from what ive been able to gather, he does not seem to pay any heed when the foster and their two greys leave the house if hes not crated, and theyve returned to an undestroyed house. that being said, i do need to make sure they do a little more testing. they have a three week test period with all adoptions, but i would optimally not want to have to actually use that.

i really cant imagine when or why they'd be separate. somehow just the idea of them being inseparable at all times seems odd.

I'm not sure you can make a dog self sufficient by training him or walking him separately from other dogs. It seems to me that they already come with a certain personality (ranging in spectrum from total velcro dog to being perfectly fine on their own, f.e. sleeping in the living room even though invited to share the bed with their owners). It might be really best to have the adoption agency pick one they'd describe as already self sufficient and then just have him join all activities.

We got number 2 to help with SA in number 1. Good news: the SA vanished overnight, because she wasn't being left alone.

Then, bad news, number 2 had to go to the vet. Number 1 was being left alone. We were lucky in that DH could be at home, BUT he vanished into the garage (aka The Shed) so number 1 was alone for the first time since getting number 2. Several hours after number 2 and I left, DH came out of his power tool induced trance and remembered number 1. He headed inside to discover ..... nothing. Number 1 had followed her routine establiushed with number 2 and had claimed the prime position on our bed. He walked in to a blissfully roaching hound who was a little annoyed at having her power nap disturbed. Since then, I figure that bnumber 2 has helped with number 1's anxiety and increased her confidence in all ways. Also she's had more time with us and realises that we always come home.

In terms of training, one learns from the other - good and bad. Number 1 taught number 2 the stairs, where the beds are and what is more or less acceptable inside the house. Number 2 taught number 1 how to bark, some leash reactivity (though that is changing slowly), that car rides are fun and how to get onto the furniture. Training goes on all the time. Good behaviours are easier to establish with two, but so are bad ones, and it's hard to focus on only one (one needs to be shut away or distracted). Also, corrections can be tricky, but it's definitely do-able.

Then, bad news, number 2 had to go to the vet. Number 1 was being left alone.

I guess that I am very lucky that my vet allows me to bring along the spare dog "for moral support".

Mine would too, but number 2 was (and is) quite small dog aggressive and an enclosed vet office isn't where I'd want to be dealing with 2 active hounds. A

here they are together. looks like i'll probably be picking him up this weekend. his coat is really disgusting right now, but a few months on a good, consistent diet should turn him into a healthy, shiny hound in short order.

any other tips about how to approach a second dog would be much appreciated!

6897347648_7b499c957a_z.jpg

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

He just looks to have kennel or farm coat! It'll shed out most likely :) He's GORGEOUS!!!!! As is your current pup!

Then, bad news, number 2 had to go to the vet. Number 1 was being left alone.

I guess that I am very lucky that my vet allows me to bring along the spare dog "for moral support".

Ha, I didn't even ask, I just take them.

I wouldn't worry too much about adding the second dog. Just follow the rules you would with any dog - keep entrances and exits low key, don't fawn too much when you first get home, start wtih shorter absences and work up to longer ones (but start right away, don't stay at home 24-7 with the new dog). If he doesn't like being crated, don't crate him. You could try gating them in separate areas or muzzle them until you're comfortable with their interactions. If he doesn't mind crating, don't worry about yoru first dog being loose. Violet actually came after Zuri but she is free (because her SA requires it) and Zuri is crated. When I had Neyla and Zuri, Zuri was crated and Neyla was free. He prefers his crate so it's fine.

I would do walks together so they can bond, but it's also okay to walk them separately, especially at first if you need to work on trainign the new one. Just make sure the one staying home has something to keep him occupied while you go - a stuffed frozen kong is a great way to do this, and come back before it's gone. Awesome SA training to boot.

I also suggest obedience class so you can get in some quality bonding time with just the new pup. Again, leave your pup occupied at home, or maybe have him visit wtih a friend while you go.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 1 month later...
Guest mainegrey

Resuming this topic)) We are thinking about getting a friend for our grey. He is totally perfect in every single respect. We are going through a LOT of doubts on whether we should get another one. If it is just our silly desire, and what if our current guy doesn't want to share with anybody else (that's probably selfish human reasoning, but still..)

1.How can we understand that he would not mind a permanent company of another greyhound? When we have guests with dogs he just lies on the couch and doesn't participate in any "dog stuff".

2. Will he show any signs of jealousy if we bring home someone else? We've had him for almost a year, and the bond is definitively present.

3. How will we be able to tell if it doesn't work between them? Has anyone ever had to take a new dog back because they couldn't agree on something?

4. Will the first dog get "unattached" to us if he gets a buddy?

5. Is there any way to tell from the very first meeting who will be the alpha in the relationship?

I know I have tons of questions, some are probably way too silly. I just need to make sure we are making the right decision, and everybody is happy in the end. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Guest aowam

I'm actually interested in this too, because I think at some point I want to get my pup a companion. He doesn't have horrible SA problems, but I can sense some loneliness from him. I read up top somewhere that two males tend to get along pretty well? How long should you wait before getting a second one?

Guest HoundWorks

Thanks for starting this topic. I'll definitely be following closely. We are waiting to adopt our first greyhound wanting a companion for our whippet. Our whippet Dexter has extreme SA which is slowly getting better and we definitely want to find a greyhound that is self-sufficient as I think a second dog with SA would drive me crazy. Hopefully Dexter and the new greyhound will only learn the best from each other! Dexter has some bad habits that I hope he doesn't pass along.

Guest KatJon

I was glad to find this thread! I'm back in action after a few months away from greytalk.... We have had Rhythm for about 8 months and have been talking about getting a second hound :-)

Rhythm has had issues with SA, and while things are slightly improving, we are hoping a second will help him out. That's not the only reason we want another dog, but it is definitely a big factor. Right now, we have to send him to doggie daycare whenever dbf is traveling and I have to work. He seems to love daycare, but our wallets don't, haha.

I've heard a lot of people say they saw SA disappear overnight when they got a second hound. Is that really the case? What other experiences have people had? We will probably be fostering a new dog first for a trial period, to see how things work out, then adopting once we know it's right. What do you think is a good time period to be able to tell if things are going to work out with the new dog, especially in terms of SA? We are going to talk with our adoption group to find a very confident grey to decrease our chances of another SA dog. I'd prefer a female, but that's not a huge factor.

Any tips would be great!!

I've heard a lot of people say they saw SA disappear overnight when they got a second hound. Is that really the case? What other experiences have people had? We will probably be fostering a new dog first for a trial period, to see how things work out, then adopting once we know it's right. What do you think is a good time period to be able to tell if things are going to work out with the new dog, especially in terms of SA?

Ours literally disappeared overnight. It was there, Paige arrived, DH and I went out for a couple of hours the enxt day and came back to two happily sleeping hounds.

However, our two had gone through fostering together and so knew each other. It was really just a matter of becoming re-acquainted, and now they're very closely bonded. So the settling in period will be longer.

Best thing we ever did.

Guest poofmagk

Resuming this topic)) We are thinking about getting a friend for our grey. He is totally perfect in every single respect. We are going through a LOT of doubts on whether we should get another one. If it is just our silly desire, and what if our current guy doesn't want to share with anybody else (that's probably selfish human reasoning, but still..)

1.How can we understand that he would not mind a permanent company of another greyhound? When we have guests with dogs he just lies on the couch and doesn't participate in any "dog stuff".

2. Will he show any signs of jealousy if we bring home someone else? We've had him for almost a year, and the bond is definitively present.

3. How will we be able to tell if it doesn't work between them? Has anyone ever had to take a new dog back because they couldn't agree on something?

5. Is there any way to tell from the very first meeting who will be the alpha in the relationship?

I know I have tons of questions, some are probably way too silly. I just need to make sure we are making the right decision, and everybody is happy in the end. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

We are still newcomers to the greyhound world, but our experience was that adding a 2nd was a lot easier of a transition than adjusting to our first. Our adoption group did a great job in finding the right companion to fit Zaf's personality. She too seemed to be indifferent around other dogs, but they noted that since Zaf was raised around other greyhounds it was actually quite normal for her to be around another grey.

They had an adjustment period where they worked things out and got snippy with each other from time to time, but I think Zaf has actually gotten more playful with Oliver around. They both are attached to us in their own ways, and have even learned to position themselves so they can get simultaneous belly rubs :). In our case neither is always the alpha, Zaf is alpha of the beds and Oliver is the alpha of the toys, whatever they are more passionate about, but they seem to have worked it out amongst themselves.

We had been working on Zaf's mild SA for a few months prior to getting Oliver so it was already much better, but as soon as he got here she really couldn't care less if we leave. She used to be clingy and whiny as a lone dog, that is all gone. Ironically it was replaced by Oliver being a bit of a velcro dog :).

Guest SusanP

We've had a total of 5 hounds and a Labrador, with 4 at a time living with us. The best thing to do is to take your dog to meet "prospectives" and see how they behave together. We knew we'd found the right friend for Dr. Doug when he and Wizard sniffed, wagged tails at each other, then lay down side by side with happy looks on their faces, very relaxed. But we've added a few slightly more "difficult" characters with an overall happy result, too. In our experience, the dogs would rather have the company of other dogs than not, though this is undoubtedly not true for a few.

Our first dog has never gotten less attached to us, and subsequent dogs are all attached to us, too. Our last dog, a little Lab, asks for a lot of attention from me compared to the hounds, but she also love her hound buddies. She dislikes going out in the yard without them and wants to join them when they go out, and she refuses to take a leash walk without at least one of them along.

I'm not a believer in this "alpha" stuff. My dogs are, for the most part, equals, though here and there, one will assert him or herself over another in a given situation. That said, we are not very assertive people and we tended to look for less assertive dogs to begin with. Pushy people and pushy dogs make us all a little crazy.

Certainly some dogs have issues with each other, and on occasion two dogs can't live together, safely, but my guess would be that that is fairly rare. We love having multiples--I would not have it any other way now.

Edited by SusanP