Growling,snarling And Intermittant Snapping

Guest Johnnyjet

Guest Johnnyjet

Maggie who has been with us a month has not stopped growling and occasionally snapping at 2 of the 3 other dogs. We have a 12 year old Chocolate Lab, a 6 year old beagle and a 2 year old sheppard chow mix. Maggie the 4 year old Grey lays down in the entranceway to our den and if a human walks by or a chow sheppard mix there is no issue. But if the lab or beagle walk by she growls and/or snaps at them. Doesnt matter if she is wide awake or sound asleep its always the same. Ive tried correcting her to no avail. BTW the lab and chow are boys and the beagle is a girl. Maggie is a very good dog other than that.

If she's only doing it in that location, I wouldn't let her lie there any more. If she does growl at the dogs, don't correct her. I would leave a leash on her and when she growls, go over and take the leash and gently make her move from that bed.

I was first going to write ditto when OP posted his second post saying she does it everywhere. Not sure how to answer that. I'd think teaching her to move would still be valuable, but probably won't solve the actual problem between the dogs.

Edited by christinepi

Sounds like a touch of space aggression. I would make sure she has a special spot to lay down where she can retreat from the other dogs. Somewhere that's not a high traffic area. If she is intentionally laying in the doorway, I would probably discourage her from being there. I've taught both of my boys the command "on your bed" which comes in handy when they're doing something they're not supposed to. Also, keep in mind that it takes time for greys to become accustomed to being in the company of non-greys. They have lived the majority of their lives exclusively with other greyhounds. Although most live comfortably with dogs of other breeds, it does take some time to adjust. I'm wondering, when you "correct her," what do you do? If you yell at her, you might be reinforcing the behavior. From my experience, the root of most greys' aggression is usually fear. There may be something about the beagle and lab that makes Maggie uncomfortable. You can work on positive reinforcement training by giving her a treat whenever those two dogs come near her. And definitely make sure you supervise these interactions for the safety of all your dogs. Best of luck :)

One of mine does this and I make her get up and move. She has a bed out of the way, in a corner and at the first snarl and snap I make her move, every time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I agree with making her move from the high traffic areas, but if she wants to be part of the action, or see the action from a good viewpoint, give her a bed that she can see from but is still out of the main traffic line and also train the other dogs to respect her space. As best you can, that is. I think it would likely be best to support her having space from the two she doesn't appreciate "tresspassing" in her area, but also making her area easier for you to help keep the other dogs less likely to "tresspass." That might make her feel better and be less likely to protest the others in more general or high traffic areas.

Sounds like a touch of space aggression. I would make sure she has a special spot to lay down where she can retreat from the other dogs. Somewhere that's not a high traffic area. If she is intentionally laying in the doorway, I would probably discourage her from being there. I've taught both of my boys the command "on your bed" which comes in handy when they're doing something they're not supposed to. Also, keep in mind that it takes time for greys to become accustomed to being in the company of non-greys. They have lived the majority of their lives exclusively with other greyhounds. Although most live comfortably with dogs of other breeds, it does take some time to adjust. I'm wondering, when you "correct her," what do you do? If you yell at her, you might be reinforcing the behavior. From my experience, the root of most greys' aggression is usually fear. There may be something about the beagle and lab that makes Maggie uncomfortable. You can work on positive reinforcement training by giving her a treat whenever those two dogs come near her. And definitely make sure you supervise these interactions for the safety of all your dogs. Best of luck :)

:nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Johnnyjet

Thanks, Im statri t think she just wants to be the lead dog. As far as corrction, i move her to another spot, no yelling no hitting. This grey is far from fearful of me...she sticks to me like glue. I guess itll just take time.

Guest Giselle

Time doesn't do anything except help reinforce behaviors that are already working. In this case, Maggie sees growling and snapping as "working", even if you don't think it is. If you allow "time" to take its course and do nothing to alter Maggie's behavior, her growling/snapping will only grow stronger.

As another poster noted, it is most likely an issue of fear. You need to counter-condition her to people/dogs walking by her as she lies down. This requires pairing the scary things (people/dogs) with a positive outcome (like yummy treats). While you are counter-conditioning her, you should also try to minimize the risk of the behavior occurring by making her sleep in a low-traffic area. Is this your first time encountering a problem like this? If so, seek help from a professional trainer who understands learning theory and animal behavior. This is a good place to start:

http://www.sfspca.org/resources/library/for-dog-owners/dog-trainers-walkers

Also, I would avoid trying to call it a "lead dog" kind of behavior. Dominance is a social hierarchy intended to reduce aggression. It is, in fact, characterized by one dog actively displaying passive behaviors to another. Thus, it is the presence of passive behaviors, NOT aggressive behaviors, that indicates one animal's social status to another. Maggie's behaviors have nothing to do with "leader" problems.

Guest Johnnyjet

She has no issue when humans walk by only when my other 3 dogs do. I can walk up to her and touch her while she is sleeping. She is only aggresive towards the other dogs while sleeping, not her human house mates. This is not my 1st time with a dog like her, what makes her situation unique to me is that she isnt aggresive all the time. Tring to figure out the best correction. I cant keep tying bones to the other dogs so she assocites them with yummy treats. (kidding)

No bones but you can do serial treating. Line up all the dogs and saying each one by name hand out treats to each one. You do this as they are calm and accepting of each other. This helps teach them that good things happen when the other ones are around.

Excellent advice as usual Giselle!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest SusanP

Our Zippy, now 14, has always done this, particularly around new dogs. When she first came to our house, she flew off her bed, barked and snapped at any dog who walked by (but only at night). After a year or so, she settled down and seldom did it, until we got a new dog. Then it would start over again for several months until she got to know the new dog. Luckily, she's never actually bitten, only snapped.

And like your dog, Zippy has a preference for sleeping on the floor in front of our bedroom door rather than on one of the dog beds, so many nights, the other dogs will wake us with a single bark if they want to get past her for some reason. They expect us to sit by Zippy and put a hand over her face so they can walk by, and it works.

Ideally, you should situate your new dog's bed in an out of the way place where she won't be disturbed, but I know how it is when a dog gets it into her head that she wants to sleep in a certain spot on the floor.

My guess is that this will get better over time, and your other dogs will learn to avoid walking by her when she's sleeping.

Guest Johnnyjet

Maggie hasnt snapped, snarnled or growled in about a week. I guess shes used to the other dogs now. I dont think it was fear, cuz she aint afriad of much. I think it was just establishing who she was in our pack. The situation is working out Greyt!...