Coffee Grounds

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

Tony ate some coffee grounds. DD has a 4 cup coffee maker. She left the grounds in the sink and he got to them. Maybe 4 tablespoons before the coffee was brewed. He seems fine but should I be worried?

How long ago? Don't know if it would increase caffeine absorption, but I'd consider peroxide to force the pup to puke up the coffee.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest ctgreylover

within the past hour

he is acting very normal

At this point zoomies and outside diarrhea is fine with me if that the worst of it

Did he eat all of the grounds or just part of the 4 tablespoons?

My biggest concern would be the caffeine and it's effect on the heart, but in a large dog it's going to depend on the amount actually consumed. Since the coffee had been brewed, a good portion of the caffeine was brewed out of it., but there would still be some residual. In a small or tiny dog, this could be a real emergency.

If you are unsure, it may be worth a phone call to your vet's office or the ASPCA Poison Control Line (Note - there is a $ 65.00 charge for the ASPCA line, but worth it if you have any doubts or see symptoms inidicating that it had a negative effect.)

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Found Canine LD50* for caffeine here: http://answers.yahoo...08160442AACwbGx

140mg/kg.

So, 60 lbs dog = 27.3 kg X 140 mg= >3,800 mg caffeine

According to another site, a T of coffee contains about 100 mgs of caffeine. Four cup pot about 4-5 T? (Coffee scoop is 1/8c=2T.)

So, if all the resources and my math are correct, things should be alright.

*LD50 means the Lethal Dose for 50 % of those who ingested given amount. In other words, half of animals/people will die if given a dose this high.

edited for clarity

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest ctgreylover

i tried to soak some bread with hydrogen peroxide and he snubbed it. I added some to water and he snubbed it.

how do i get the h.p. into him? I have no problems using a turkey baster and squirting it down his throat but not sure of thats the best delivery method

Guest MnMDogs

I don't think the amount he ate (see daisydoodles post) would warrant inducing vomitIng.

However- We just went through this with Greg last night (he ate a very large quantity of macadamia nuts) and our peroxide was expired and he would not throw up! We ended up syringing salt water into him, and that worked.

But 4T of used grounds shouldnt hav a huge effect on Tony.

Guest mariah

I think it'll be fine. Gussie was no worse for wear after taking a big ol slurp of my coffee last weekend. You obviously don't want to give it to them intentionally, but a small amount of spent grounds isn't going to hurt.

Guest kaiandsam

My Gracie drinks Coffee all the time, (not with my permission, she steals it when my back is turned) and it has never affected her negatively. My parents had a Springer that drank coffee everyday (again he stole it), he didn't have any problems either (maybe that's irrelevant).

I don't know how much the grounds have, as opposed to what comes out when you brew it, but my guess is he will be wired but fine.

Good luck!

He'll be fine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I am getting more than a little concerned at people recomending that we pour peroxide down our dogs throats just because they ate something that they shouldn't have such as a stick of butter or a few tbls of coffee.

I would save that peroxide for something serious that you think should not or can not go thru the digestion system. These weren't them, if your dogs were wild they would be eating far worse. I am not a vet, nor do I profess to be one, but I would leave that decision to a vet unless one could simply not get ahold of emergency people in a crisis situation. I have concerns when people on the net give out "medical advice" to panicing people who simply need a little reassurance - sometimes they could do more harm than good - and to someone elses dog.

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack drank some tea the other day (stolen out of someone's cup) and was none the worse for it, except for demanding playtime at midnight :P

Guest happygrey

I am getting more than a little concerned at people recomending that we pour peroxide down our dogs throats just because they ate something that they shouldn't have such as a stick of butter or a few tbls of coffee.

I would save that peroxide for something serious that you think should not or can not go thru the digestion system. These weren't them, if your dogs were wild they would be eating far worse. I am not a vet, nor do I profess to be one, but I would leave that decision to a vet unless one could simply not get ahold of emergency people in a crisis situation. I have concerns when people on the net give out "medical advice" to panicing people who simply need a little reassurance - sometimes they could do more harm than good - and to someone elses dog.

Excellent point. I agree. Try and imagine what dogs eat when we aren't aware of it. ;)

Guest kaiandsam

My Jett is a crazy fast coffee thief, but even when he gets the whole cup it doesn't seem to bother him.

Glad to hear someone elses' grey steals coffee. I thought mine was weird.