Dog Park Madness

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

We have 2 greys. Have had one almost 1 year now (female, very independant) and just got the other one in January (male, likes to be near me :colgate ). When we first introduced her to the dog park she always wanted to be *the princess in charge*. This is with other breeds of dogs. Never bit any dogs but would mouth them. Some of the dogs just rolled over and let her, others tried to run, ha ha. This would only happen with certain dogs, not all. Then we got the 2nd dog. Now that he is comfortable at the park the two of them seem to hurd certain dogs and have a bark/bitty attitude. Yes, they have muzzles on, but they just seem so aggressive. Other places, around greys, they are just sweethearts. Why is this just with certain dogs? They don't go after the smaller dogs, it's the labs or other hunter type dogs. They just ignore the other greys when they are at the park too. I don't want to stop going to the park cuz we all get exercise there. Is this normal? Are my babies ( 4 & 5 years old) just naughty park players?

Thanks for any suggestions. :ghplaybow:gh_run2

when i bring my dog and his grey companion to our dog park they turn into complete jerks. whatever dog one chases, the other chases. they corner dogs and bark right in their faces until they run away (and then they chase them). they snowl and growl. its mortifying, but thats how they play. on their own, theyre not bad, but still mouthy. but together theyre terrorizers.

Ours will corner, chase, and be generally dominant buggers to a specific standard poodle when she comes to play in our fenced yard at home. Normal behavior for some greys but not always welcomed by others.

Just make sure your dogs aren't the only ones muzzled as if one of the 'victims' retaliates, your pup will be terribly exposed. That said, you need to figure out a way to teach your dogs better group socializing so THEY aren't the unwanted ones at the dog park. You may consider tiring them out somewhat before you allow them to be off leash. A tired hound as you know is usually a well behaved one!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Some dogs just have a rougher style of play than other dogs. IMO, if your dog consistently acts like a bully and terrorizes other dogs at the dog park, they don't belong there. Your dog could be seriously injured if they pick on a dog who takes offense and fights back. And they're ruining the fun for the other dogs. Imagine how you would feel if your dog is on the receiving end.

My grey Willow plays rough and harasses my other dogs, and my mixed breed Corey is the only one who plays with her. But she will stalk, charge, mouth, bark, and jump all over the other ones trying to get them to run and play with her. They just ignore her, and my whippet is the only one who sometimes gets a little intimidated, but isn't traumatized by it. I know my dogs well enough to know when/if I need to step in. But I would never allow Willow to behave like that toward strange dogs at a public dog park.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Many Greyhound adoption groups offer "Greyhound only" play dates where all Greyhounds are muzzled. Please check with your group about Greyhound only play dates. If they don't already offer them, your local group members might be willing to start one. That would be a much safer solution for your hounds. :)

As others mentioned, general rule is all dogs muzzled or no dogs muzzled. If a Greyhound is the only one muzzled, muzzled hound can't defend him/herself from another dog's attack. Clearly, that presents a big problem in public dog parks, and puts you at risk if your hounds harm another dog.

Many Greyhounds are instinctively prey driven (especially in an outside setting) and can become competitive, even when trying to coax other dogs to run (like the Greyhounds with whom they were reared).

If another dog gets hurt or squeals, canine pack behavior is to attack the hurt dog. This happens faster than a human can run to pull their dog off the target dog.

Greyhounds have such thin skin that another dog playing can easily rip a Gh's skin requiring expensive surgery.

Some people "risk" taking Greyhounds to dog parks, many steer clear of dog parks completely. If people don't have a fenced yard themselves, they might find a fully fenced ball field to let their dogs inside for a quick run, or another Greyhound owner (or friend) might let certain hounds borrow their fenced yard. Other hounds do well with daily leashed walks or jogs.

Good luck with whatever you decide with your hounds.

Guest KennelMom
IMO, if your dog consistently acts like a bully and terrorizes other dogs at the dog park, they don't belong there. Your dog could be seriously injured if they pick on a dog who takes offense and fights back. And they're ruining the fun for the other dogs. Imagine how you would feel if your dog is on the receiving end.

This!!!!! ESP if your dogs are muzzled bullies and the other dogs arent muzzled... It dleant take much to rip a greyhound from stem to stern.... And it's a matter of when, not if since your dogs are aggressors.

Our greyhound Celeste is as sweet as can be on lead. She seems to love every dog we meet. She is also our meet-and-greet dog. However, off-lead, she is a brute. She was retired from racing because of it. We used to take her to a greyhound playgroup. Even though everyone was muzzled, she'd body slam and try to nip at the other greys through the muzzle. She almost took out our grey Darcy's eye when running in the yard unmuzzled. Our other greys will no longer run or play with her. We don't take her to dog parks.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Wouldn't take them to the dog park unless they're the only dogs there. If I were the *other* dogs' owner, I'd be ... annoyed, to say the least.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mariah

And they're ruining the fun for the other dogs. Imagine how you would feel if your dog is on the receiving end.

I agree...the dog park is supposed to be fun for everyone. If your dogs are impinging on the other dogs' fun, and you are unable to prevent them from doing so, then I wouldn't take them.

PS: If you aren't sure what constitutes appropriate play,

might be helpful.

I would be very unhappy if your dogs were behaving like that at a dog park.

Yes, it's "natural" for them; Greyhounds are, I believe, pack hunters. Which is what's happening. As a single dog, your first one played more or less like a "regular" dog. Now that she has a pal, they've formed a very small pack and are ganging up on other dogs.

They pick the wrong dog, and there is going to be a HUGE problem.

Not good candidates for the dog park unless they're alone.

I walk my dog for exercise. It's good for both of us.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

IMO, if your dog consistently acts like a bully and terrorizes other dogs at the dog park, they don't belong there. Your dog could be seriously injured if they pick on a dog who takes offense and fights back. And they're ruining the fun for the other dogs. Imagine how you would feel if your dog is on the receiving end.

This!!!!! ESP if your dogs are muzzled bullies and the other dogs arent muzzled... It dleant take much to rip a greyhound from stem to stern.... And it's a matter of when, not if since your dogs are aggressors.

:nod I have a boy who did the dog park quite well until I adopted my younger girl. Now when he is out running with her at the park his behavior has changed. He's more keyed up. It's unfortunate but I've had to stop taking him to the park unless its an all Greys, all muzzled get together. My girls are fine though.

Fastdogsownme had an excellent suggestion though. If yours are ok solo then perhaps you could take one at a time. It is actually rather healthy for them to learn to be left alone & in truth it is better to only have one at the dog park at a time. I've done as many as three & really shouldn't have. Being perfectly honest I sometimes loose track of two.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I agree. They should be able to be alone. If they aren't, start slow. Do you have a spouse or room mate who can stay home with the other dog? Or even leash one at a time while the other runs (but I don't really suggest this, though, because leashed dogs are uncomfortable in off leash parks). When the weather is cold, one hound could be crated inside your vehicle in the shade. I sometimes do this, since I have crates. I can leave all the doors to my van open and park right in front of the gate so it's always in plain sight.

Guest starr511

Greypup...this sounds just like my two. I guess I will start taking them on my walks. I know if someones dog treated my dogs the way they sometimes act, I'd hate it. We actually have 2 parks side by side. One has a huge swamp in it and I am getting tired of baths everytime we come home. :o The little one has no pond, we went there today. There were 2 Italian Greyhounds there. My dogs didn't mind them at all. One was crawling all over my female while she was laying down and she didn't even care. Is a 3 mile walk too much for them?

Thanks for all the comments and I watched the video. Very interesting.

Walking distance and duration depends on walking surface, hound's endurance, health and overall physical capabilities.

If walking on sidewalks... If your first hound (adopted a year ago) is used to walking on sidewalks, 3 miles should be fine. (You could try a shorter distance as a test/circle closer to home at first.)

If your new hound (adopted in January) hasn't been walking on hard surfaces much, he would benefit from building up to 3 miles more slowly. That would help him gradually toughen up his paw pads, and help him adjust to longer walking endurance. (He may have already built up some endurance during previous dog park visits, if running a lot.) The endurance comment may seem strange, but Greyhounds are sprinters, racing on soft surfaces, only lasting seconds, racing 2-3 times a week. Building endurance can take a while.

I'd suggest taking a look at paw pads after walks for a few weeks to make sure they aren't wearing down raw, and watch hounds for signs of tiring (or overheating). As we approach warmer months, cement and pavement heat up quickly and can retain heat after the sun is setting. If a warm day, I often place my hand on cement to check for heat before walking (or standing with hounds too long). If too hot, paw pads can burn, and can be rubbed raw, requiring a long recovery period. During warm weather, we walk early morning or evening, before air temps reach about 70 degrees.

BTW, I'm glad the visit with the Italian Greyhounds went without incident today. Personally, I wouldn't even consider allowing our "cat-friendly and small dog-friendly" hounds in an outside enclosure with another person's Italian Greyhounds (or any other small dogs) with whom they don't live. A common saying: "Outside = Game on". Many hounds are fine with small dogs they know, but it's a big risk to try it with other people's pets.

Walking (or short hikes on easy to moderate trails) is super enjoyable with leashed Greyhounds. They have a wonderful time enjoying the exercise, fresh air, sniffing all the scents/doggie-mail, and visually scanning their surroundings with their human companion/s. Have lots of fun with your wonderful pair of hounds! :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Yes, my 2nd to last foster, Haley, lives with a toy dog, but I would never trust her with strange small dogs outside. I ran into her by pure chance last weekend at the park. I knew it was she and the owner was so excited to hear her history, what she was like in the track kennel, and that she loves to swim! But I also was able to warn him to be cautious with her around other small dogs.