Sitting Oddly

Guest Matty

Guest Matty

When we received Nemo two weeks ago, even the foster parent and adoption coordinater were flabbergasted to see that he will sit on command - and lie down as well. However, when he sits, he doesn't sit normally. Instead of going down on his haunches with one leg propped out to either side of his body, he will hesitate for a moment, then curl his legs under him. I've included a snapshot. I've never seen a dog sit like this before.

IMAG0131.jpg

The coordinator said they'd seen it before, and it was rare. He made it through all of his veterinary checkups without any issue. He is 5, going on 6, and he weighs around 90lbs.

Pretty typical and not breed specific either.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Lots of dogs sit like that, greyhounds as well as other breeds. My pit/pointer cross used to do it all the time.

I find [usually] that greys sit like the picture below, waiting for a treat. But when Summer is going to sit for a while, often leaning against a wall, she will put her legs to one side.

Sitting.jpg

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

According to my trainer, it's officially known as a "sloppy sit". :colgate Katie will do that, and she will also do a very strange one where she has her butt tucked under her, so her back feet are pointing forward like in the pic from OwnedbySummer, but with the paws up in the air!

Edited by philospher77

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest mariah

So cute! The sitting position doesn't come naturally to most sighthounds because of the way they're built. You'll also usually see that when they try to "sit pretty" it's actually more of a squat, with butt lifted slightly off the ground rather than actually sitting on it. When Gussie has to sit for a while, she'll also move both legs off to one side.

Guest thecoyotesgrin

My Iggys used to sit like that. My doc said its just a personal preference. Some people are comfortable with indian style sitting and others prefer to sit 'side-saddle'. Some people prefer to cross their leg over, other prefer the ankle...

Auggie has yet to sit in front of me so I dont know via Greyhounds...

Yup, very common. I can't help but think it is more comfortable for greys than sitting on their tails which just don't seem to be placed right for sitting.

june