Pancreatitis

Guest Greytluv

Guest Greytluv

My girlfriend's lab has been dx with pancreatitis. She's on special food til next week. My question is: What's a good dry food to feed? Something that won't cause it again.

For Sutra, it was much easier to get him to eat if I made food for him. He WOULD NOT eat any of the prescription diet food, and he was wasting away in front of my eyes. Boiled macaroni, cottage cheese, and turkey baby food mixed together worked well. Also mashed potatoes with Ensure...add turkey baby food or VERY lean boiled hamburger or turkey burger. The other base carb I used for him was plain oatmeal, add cottage cheese and some sort of meat or meat baby food. Keep the fat low!

That was when he was sick. Eventually I got him back to kibble with Solid Gold's Wolf King. It's low in fat, but provides a good amount of protein. Worked like a charm for him. Eventually he was able to transition to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, which does have a good amount of fat in it, but, it is good fat.

Does the pup get table scraps, do any garbage can raiding? If so, that is likely what caused the problem. If not, what kind of kibble was she eating before?

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest NJgrey

Depends on how severe it is. After Ellie had her hospital stay with it, she was on the Hill's prescription food for a couple weeks. I hated the ingredients (only part of an animal they use in that food is pork fat, which is interesting considering it's used for dogs suffering from a condition often brought on by ingestion of something incredibly rich like pork fat... but I digress) but stuck with it until we were sure she could move on to something else. We weaned her (SLOWLY!!!!) onto another food, Wellness Core Reduced Fat. She tolerated it very well from the get-go and was on that for about 8 months. We then transitioned her to Wellness Core Ocean, which is higher in fat but still tolerated very well. Highly recommend either one. FWIW, we tried the regular Core recipe and that was a little too rich.

Guest Greytluv

No, she never gets people food. She was eating Costco kibble. Okay, I'll tell her to find one lower in fat and slowly switch her over.

She had it pretty severe. She was in the hospital for a couple of days.

Thanks for all the info :)

Guest sirsmom

My friend's lab-mix was also just diagnosed with pancreatitis and the E-vets told her to feed Nutro Natural Choice Lite. She could not afford the script food.

Guest dobiegrey

My Dobe has pancreatitis and eats Royal Canin Gastro Low Fat Veterinary Diet and has done well for 18months so far with no flareups.

Poodle had it very bad and became diabetic as a result. It was a couple of years ago but I seem to remember the vet having me fast him a day or two after he came home then feed him boiled skinless chicken breast and rice (mostly rice) for a while - maybe 5 or 7 days.

Tthen came the hunt for food. We tried the Wellness Core Reduced Fat but he really didn't care much for it. Then on the pet stores recommendation we tried Natural Balance Ultra Reduced Calorie. He really really likes it and has for a couple of years.

Works great for us -- he likes the taste and I like that it doesn't use celluose as a non nutritional filler to lower the fat and calories like the Hills dry low fat/low calorie foods.

Fat is listed on labels as minimum so it's not exact but it'll give you an idea to compare foods. The Natural Balance he eats is 8%.

NB_DogRuducedGroup_200w.jpg

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest sirsmom

My friend's lab-mix was also just diagnosed with pancreatitis and the E-vets told her to feed Nutro Natural Choice Lite. She could not afford the script food.

I just wanted to add: I looked it up on the website and it is 9% fat.

Guest WhiteWave

I would recommend California Natural grain free line. Most are 10-11% fat and not a lot of ingredients.

Pongo my mix breed had a bout with pancreatitis and almost died. He spent a week at the vet on IV's and threw up and had diarrhea for months afterwards. We ended up putting him on on a homemade diet w/ prescription digestive enzymes and after a bout a year, he finally started doing better.

Now over 10 yrs later, he can eat almost anything w/o issues although I still avoid really fatty foods.