Vasculitis Post-Amputation

Guest kellygreyhound

Guest kellygreyhound

Hi, I'm posting this here instead of just the osteo thread in hopes it'll find more responses from folks who've been through this. Kelly had a rear leg amputation last Monday, came home Thursday & wasdoing well. At her Sunday checkup, the vet suspected she had an incisional infection & was given a new antibiotic. Things went downhill from there & Wednesday we were back at the hospital with a listless, feverish grey :( After three surgeries to remove dead tissue, the vets now feel the necrosis is secondary. They've seenthis before in another dog post-amp--the tissue surrounding the hip just died off after & fortunately in that case stopped at the leg. Has anyone seen this before? Any advice or experiences would be helpful. Three surgeries and an unknown number in sight have me beginning to question my choices here & whether I'm causing Kelly undue extreme pain. *sigh*

What makes them think this is vasculitis rather than a resistant infection? Have cultures been done? This definitely doesn't sound like a typical complication, and I'd suggest submitting an OSU consult. Is Kelly being treated at your regular vet's office, or at a specialty center? If it's been your regular vet so far, I'd consider asking for a referral to a board certified surgeon. Sending good thoughts to both you and Kelly. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest greysadv

Vanessa had not one, not two, but 3 different antibiotic-resistant infections post amp. We'd get rid of one just to have another develop. In the end we did a debridement surgery and with a good selection of antibiotic by our vets (we ended up using amikacin, our last resort) and we were able to get the infections cleared. I heard from Dr. Couto at OSU that he's had greyhounds where he has needed to perform several debridement surgeries to control infection. Your vet is doing cultures/sensitivities on the infection to ensure proper antibiotic use, right? The bacteria causing the problem could be changing as in Vanessa's case. Perhaps your vet could contact Dr. Couto for a recommendation.

Thinking of you both. I remember feeling the same way you do.

Cindy

P.S. Vanessa beat OS for 27 1/2 months before succumbing to kidney failure.

Twiggy's post-amp infection was pseudomonas and was quite advanced because the bandage was supposed to remain on for 5 days post-release.

It was treated without antibiotics using a VacTherapy bandage. It required her to be hospitalized for 5 days. They did a small surgery to remove as much dead tissue as possible, then inserted the bandage. There was at least one, maybe two (not remembering anymore) bandage changes and then they stitched her up after removing the VacTherapy.

With post-release antibiotics to prevent additional infections, Twiggy healed up beautifully.

I think the VacTherapy is a somewhat novel way to treat post-amp infection, but I am very pleased with how everything turned out. This was done at a specialty/emergency clinic with a board-certified surgeon.

I hope Kelly gets back on track quickly and this infection is cleared. I'm sending my best wishes for you - I know just how awful you feel right now.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest kellygreyhound

Thanks everyone for the responses--very helpful! Yes, Kelly had a culture done--and was switched to the very expensive Zeniquin as a result. But at this point the infection is controlled according to her vets, the necrosis is a secondary issue to the infection (not caused by the infection).

When I went to visit her today it was tough. The tech brought her out for a potty break & allowed me to take her outside on the break--she was walking but wobbly (which the anesthesia may account for). Outside and in the waiting room, Kelly looked awfully frightened, not at all like her normal self (Kelly is scared of nothing and no one!) and she's so skinny from all this. Then once we got her back into her crate and settled, she calmed down a bit and was happy to have lovins and snugglies, and even ate. But I can see in her eyes that this is hard and is taking a toll on her. Day by day...

This is the toughest part right now. She's back in the hospital, where no matter how good the care is, she doesn't want to be there.

Once she is back home for good, you will see great things start to happen.

As you know, the most important thing right now is to just get that infection wiped out. Then she will be back on the right path.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Thinking of you and your girl, hoping you get the help you need and she gets to come home soon. :hope:grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just wanted to mention that sometimes the pain-killers that are used could possibly bring on hallucinations and if so, it would frighten dogs which is why you may have been seeing a "different" look in her eye.

The reason that I mention this is even though my dog adjusted well after the amputation, once he got off the painkillers he did much better and behaved more like himself.

Hoping your pupper has improved and sending hugs for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

we used betadine and water compresses on a non grey who developed a large necrosis after crucuiate ligament surgery. It worked well, but I would consult with vet first