Depends Or Pampers For Anal Incontenince

Guest arlosmom

Guest verthib
1330447736[/url]' post='5178427']
1330445054[/url]' post='5178386']

Another option: reduce the stool quantity. It's the only thing that gets our guy Bumper through the night as he has the same 'challenge' and for Bumper, it's because of nerve damage in his lower spine. By the time he feels the poop coming, it's often too late. By reducing the volume, he can easily hold it all night.

We have 0 issues with Bumper on raw food and we once made the attempt to go back to kibble with unfruitful results. He pooped every night (in the house) for 2.5 weeks before we gave up and went back to raw. Magically no more night pooping...at all.

Something to consider and if you are not a fan of raw, maybe it could be the lesser of the two evils....

I really don't have an issue with raw except for the expense and my husband is very adverse to feeding any of 4 dogs a different diet. The food we are using now has been great for firmness in stool but does make them poop more volume. Currently we are feeding at 5 pm for the evening meal. What type of raw did you use?

If you feed them at 6 or 7, instead of 5, that may give him more time to make it to morning. Do you go out with him at night to be sure he's pooping? If I don't make sure Angus poops at 10 before bed, he sometimes won't make it till morning. Do you think it could be a house breaking issue? Do you make sure he poops before letting him back in for breakfast? With solid poops, and the patterns you describe, it doesn't sound like anal incontinence to me. But I'm no expert.

I would never diaper a dog having oops turds nor would I acknowledge he was doing them. Shadow would do them in his sleep and if I didn't pick them up before he woke up he would jump up in horror wondering who pooped in his bed! I never told him....

Heart would try so hard to make it out the door, somtimes she would fall. I got to the point I would assure her it was ok and to "take it easy". They were simple to clean up.

I am so with you on this one. We never said anything to Brandi as they were slipping out. What I wouldn't do to have her here again and let the poops slide/fall out but she is a bridge baby now.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest arlosmom
1330447736[/url]' post='5178427']
1330445054[/url]' post='5178386']

Another option: reduce the stool quantity. It's the only thing that gets our guy Bumper through the night as he has the same 'challenge' and for Bumper, it's because of nerve damage in his lower spine. By the time he feels the poop coming, it's often too late. By reducing the volume, he can easily hold it all night.

We have 0 issues with Bumper on raw food and we once made the attempt to go back to kibble with unfruitful results. He pooped every night (in the house) for 2.5 weeks before we gave up and went back to raw. Magically no more night pooping...at all.

Something to consider and if you are not a fan of raw, maybe it could be the lesser of the two evils....

I really don't have an issue with raw except for the expense and my husband is very adverse to feeding any of 4 dogs a different diet. The food we are using now has been great for firmness in stool but does make them poop more volume. Currently we are feeding at 5 pm for the evening meal. What type of raw did you use?

If you feed them at 6 or 7, instead of 5, that may give him more time to make it to morning. Do you go out with him at night to be sure he's pooping? If I don't make sure Angus poops at 10 before bed, he sometimes won't make it till morning. Do you think it could be a house breaking issue? Do you make sure he poops before letting him back in for breakfast? With solid poops, and the patterns you describe, it doesn't sound like anal incontinence to me. But I'm no expert.

Most of the time we do go out with him at 10 pm for last potty and a cookie. Most of the time he goes back to the back and does something. Recently he seems to be reluctant to stay out for some reason. It has not been very cold this winter so I don't think it is the cold. It may be just the pain in his left hip which xray has confirmed is bone on bone. Someone earlier mentioned giving additional gabapentin in the evening and that helped their problem. I am considering uping his pain meds.

During the week I get up at 5:45 and he will usually go out first. He then comes back in and waits for my husband to feed him within the next 30 minutes. Occasionally he has had an accident while waiting for his meds before my husband fixes his food. A few times I have been able to spot this and usher him out the door. Since I work I am pretty preoccupied with getting ready myself and my husband is a zombie and is aware of nothing.

Edited by arlosmom

Our Lucky did this the last couple of years before passing at ~16. Feeding more in the AM and less at night might help. Also, just staying out with them at night and first thing in AM to make sure they poop helps. Of course, that assumes that you can get to the door quick enough in the first place.

Also, contact DofSweetPotatoes on GT. He can tell you the type of food they have their disabled non-grey on. It's used to firm up the stool so it's easier to clean up.

Finally, I think your DH might have to suck it up a bit. He's either got to agree to pick up poo, agree to feed dogs to meet their individual needs, or clean a poop-filled furry butt (which you'll get if you use diapers or pants). Or, be the one to make sure your poor pup gets out and poops on a regular schedule.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Finally, I think your DH might have to suck it up a bit. He's either got to agree to pick up poo, agree to feed dogs to meet their individual needs, or clean a poop-filled furry butt (which you'll get if you use diapers or pants). Or, be the one to make sure your poor pup gets out and poops on a regular schedule.

Have to agree with this - it seems your DH is the problem. rolleyes.gif Get.over.it. And don't yell at the dog about it.

Many kiss1.gif to you for taking such good care of your Arlo.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Have to agree with this - it seems your DH is the problem. rolleyes.gif Get.over.it. And don't yell at the dog about it.

From the other side, I just want you to know that I understand how stressful it can be with an unhappy DH. We are currently trying to figure out a peeing issue with our Tori and DH is getting pretty frustrated as he is the one who gets home first and has to deal with any messes. He's pretty good about it, but gets irritated because he doesn't feel like it should be his responsibility as we have Tori because I wanted a second dog, not him (although he wasn't opposed). It's stressful to try to keep a DH happy while trying to figure out the best way to get through it for everyone.

Hang in there!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Arlo is a very special boy, Deb. You remind Roy of that next time he fusses over a poop fairy visit. Sure, I grumbled a bit when some of my seniors had some clean-up issues, but what I wouldn't give to have them back and needing a clean up once again.....

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest arlosmom

From the other side, I just want you to know that I understand how stressful it can be with an unhappy DH. We are currently trying to figure out a peeing issue with our Tori and DH is getting pretty frustrated as he is the one who gets home first and has to deal with any messes. He's pretty good about it, but gets irritated because he doesn't feel like it should be his responsibility as we have Tori because I wanted a second dog, not him (although he wasn't opposed). It's stressful to try to keep a DH happy while trying to figure out the best way to get through it for everyone.

Hang in there!

It is stressful when the DH is wailing about it and I really don't mind picking it up an giving the carpet a shot of Nature's Miracle. I am going to just try to be more watchful, feed him less at night and make sure I see him poop. I will even get up at the regular time on weekends and get him out the door then go back to sleep for a bit. I may even up his pain meds a bit. I value all the comments that have been posted. My DH isn't terrible but I am sure he was not a diaper changer when he had children in his first marriage.

Arlo is a very special boy, Deb. You remind Roy of that next time he fusses over a poop fairy visit. Sure, I grumbled a bit when some of my seniors had some clean-up issues, but what I wouldn't give to have them back and needing a clean up once again.....

I know what you mean.