Ace's Tumors

I got a phone call today from Dr. Thomsen...the tumor on Ace's belly that was sent out for pathology and had come back as a benign inflammatory thing is actually something bad. Iowa State decided to run some additional tests for learning purposes and discovered it is something called a rhabdomyosarcoma. She now has another one in the same area.

We're going to get an aspirate of it on Thursday morning. If it looks bad, she'll probably have to have ANOTHER surgery to remove it and then we'll explore a chemo route I think.

I don't like not knowing what's going on, and I find out that these things are super rare...they are a skeletal muscle tumor. Just scares me for the future...I'm not sure if any more are lurking inside her body :unsure:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I encourage you to send the slides to Dr Couto for a re-evaluation. You can find out the remission details on the greyhound health and wellness website (consultation form). Please get his opinion before starting a chemo protocol.

I agree.

TONS of positive thoughts for you and Ace. You and your hounds have really been through the wringer lately. :grouphug

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Sending hugs of comfort and healing white light.grouphug.gifgrouphug.gifgrouphug.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I don't think I'd be able to get the slides...they're at Iowa State :unsure

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

I'm a pathologist. You can request Iowa State send the slides to any consultant of your choice for a second opinion. This is common practice and I'm sure they would be happy to do it. It sounds from your description that it is not the most common variant of rhabdo, so a second opinion would be wise.

I'm sorry you and Ace have to go through this :(

siggy2.jpg

Do I need to have my vet request that? I haven't done any looking around yet but I'm not sure I'd know how to call them at Iowa State...

I know...it's crazy but in many ways it's been SO much easier to handle Pinky the osteo pup as opposed to Ace, mystery problem extraordinaire! Which means lots of $$ testing trying to find what's wrong. Aargh. Wishing ever so briefly for a moment that I was not the only person pulling in the money to finance life's adventures :blink:

She has been completely normal except she's back to not wanting to get onto the living room furniture or jump into the car. She'll hop up into bed though <_< It doesn't make any sense. But she is eating, drinking, playing like a madwoman. It snowed about 2" here today and she was BONKERS when I got home - she loves to run in the snow. Pinky had a ball chasing her too.

I am just really scared that she'll act fine and be happy until all of a sudden she won't and it'll be over :cry1 I know that is a really morbid thought, and the second morbid though is that well, there could be worse things than for her to be happy and playing up until the point that our time together is over :dunno We just HAVE to nail this down and figure out what's really happening and what we can do about it. I don't want to put her through a surgery every few weeks every time something new crops up. There has to be something we can do.

Good thoughts Ace and you. I do hope you can get some good information from Dr. C's team as I know it must be very hard not knowing.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Well, this is odd...Ace had her Leukeran on Sunday for her leukemia, and last night I noticed that the new little bump has shrunk to almost nothing! :yay

I'm still going to take her in tomorrow along with Pinky, but I'm not sure there will be anything to do.

I haven't had time to call Iowa State during their hours...it's been nuts at work. I hope I'll get a minute tomorrow morning to call them.

We were going to aspirate it tomorrow but it's so tiny now that we probably can't.