Peeing In The House

Guest MistysDad

Guest MistysDad

Niko is our 2nd Grey, we still have Misty. When we first got him, he had an "Accident" in the house but then seemed to be housebroken. He would wait to go outside. When we let him out, he goes. A little while later, he'll pee in the house. He can hold it through the night and even when we're gone for a couple of hours. He has no other overt symptoms. Any thoughts?

We're in the same boat, except Nori hasn't had any outright accidents. There's been some pee on the couch which is either because our other grey takes his favorite spot and he's trying to get her away from his turf, OR he just dribbles pee when he sleeps and it gets spread around during the night.

We took him to the vet so they could test his urine for signs of a urinary tract infection, but no such luck (not that it would be a good thing). So, the vet suggested it could be related to a weak sphincter issue. She prescribed Proin for incontinence, but it made him vomit all his dinner in the most powerful display of hurling I've ever seen. :(

Waiting til Monday to find out what other options we have.

My first thought was marking too, but I would have thought your vet would mention it.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We're in the same boat, except Nori hasn't had any outright accidents. There's been some pee on the couch which is either because our other grey takes his favorite spot and he's trying to get her away from his turf, OR he just dribbles pee when he sleeps and it gets spread around during the night.

We took him to the vet so they could test his urine for signs of a urinary tract infection, but no such luck (not that it would be a good thing). So, the vet suggested it could be related to a weak sphincter issue. She prescribed Proin for incontinence, but it made him vomit all his dinner in the most powerful display of hurling I've ever seen. :(

Waiting til Monday to find out what other options we have.

One of my puppers is 11 now.. we have had him for 9 fabulous years.

Just prior to us adopting him he was dx with a 'pelvic bladder'..

His foster home had noticed leaking and indirect incontenance, meaning dribbling when he up up from naps, or wet bedding. He wasn't marking.

He was treated for UTI's initially but it wasn't the cause.

Further tests showed the pelvic bladder and he needed reconstructive surgery and bladder support.

He has worn a belly band with 'poise' pad ever since.

He does still have a dribble that the pad contains but can 'hold it' mostly until he is outside and the band comes off and he pees like the big boys.

Yes, Niko seems to pee in the same spot each time. Is this considered marking or not?

MistysDad

Probably, specially if it's not a lot of urine.

You need to 1) make sure there isn't a TRACE of urine left in that spot--you'll need special cleaning stuff to get rid of the smell so he can't smell it, and 2) I'd personally make it impossible for him to GET to that spot, and 3) consider as a temporary measure a belly band.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Now we're trying Prion at half the dosage - which he can tolerate, but it might be too little to have any effect. I asked about using a belly band and the vet said that was for dogs who don't completely empty their bladders when they pee. She said they can test for it by cathetering the dog and seeing how much pee is left after going outside. The vet also said they sometimes use injections of testosterone with male dogs, but that can lead to more aggression behaviors, like marking, so that's not ideal. She said she would do imaging (x-rays?) first before considering testosterone.

How about an ultrasound? Fenway had one a year ago after a pattern of peeing inside. Turns out he has "minor kidney damage of an unspecified origin".

Basically, he sometimes just has to pee when no one is home. He's an angel though, and picked his spot on the tile rather than the carpet.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Now we're trying Prion at half the dosage - which he can tolerate, but it might be too little to have any effect. I asked about using a belly band and the vet said that was for dogs who don't completely empty their bladders when they pee. She said they can test for it by cathetering the dog and seeing how much pee is left after going outside. The vet also said they sometimes use injections of testosterone with male dogs, but that can lead to more aggression behaviors, like marking, so that's not ideal. She said she would do imaging (x-rays?) first before considering testosterone.

Not sure why a vet would say that--a belly band can be a very useful tool for a newly adopted dog who isn't aware that peeing in the HOUSE is unacceptable. The OP has a newly adopted dog who is marking in the house.

Ultrasound seems a bit extreme at this point before working on housebreaking!

The OP doesn't give any information that leads ME to believe this dog has a thing wrong with it other than being a newly adopted dog who hasn't full learned the rules of pet life.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Is your vet a "greyhound" vet, or just a regular dog vet? Sounds like your vet doesnt really know the breed. Testosterone and worrying about a greyhound becoming too agressive, thats funny. Yes I know there are a few greyhounds out there that are agressive, but what 1 in 10,000? Personally I would try to find a vet that specifically sees greyhounds. I see you are in Wyoming, and you may not have that option. If that is the case, then I would have him/her read up on the breed, say with Dr. Suzanne Stack, she has posted a lot of information online written for vets. And for the record, a belly band is used for any time that you do not want the hound to pee on things, it has nothing to do with the amount of pee that a hound discharges. I use a belly band with my boy Bart whenever we go to outside events as he will raise his leg on tables outside, not inside, but outside.

Interesting comment about testosterone... we think Nori was the runt of the litter or something because he gets nervous/aggressive around other dogs that are bigger than him/bark him from their yards. As far as Wyoming vets go... most of them spend more time working with cows and horses than dogs!!!

I vote, marking,,, our old non-grey(age 13) started to have accidents,, during the night,, she sleeps upstairs,, lots of stairs,,,, she has arthritis, and had been on supplements and an A.S.A. everyday,, it was evident this was no longer working,, she is now on Metecam,, and we have had no more accidents,,,apparent,, she just couldn't go up and down the steps once she would bed down for the night, this was not leakage,, she would find the same spot and go there, even though I had cleaned it very well, just food for thought for others