Aladdin Has Spirometra! Also Low Thyroid. Update Post 56

Depending on the dog and symptoms, a free T4 is a good indicator of the thyroid function. I've done both -- full panel and just the T4. If yyou are going to do a full panel, send it to Michigan. You can do a full panel on thyroid meds. Trying to remember the paperwork from Michigan, I think there is somewhere on there where you indicate they are on thyroid and the dose.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can do a full panel while the dog is on meds but it won't tell you whether the dog's native (unmedicated) thyroid function is adequate.

If you were to draw new blood and the dog has had some meds, you'll want to tell the lab that. Those meds will affect his thyroid levels but they won't be stabilized yet. For this reason, it would certainly be an advantage to have the lab that did the other day's tests use the blood they already have for a thyroid panel. Unless it was a very short draw, they should have plenty left to run those couple of thyroid tests.

I don't recommend using just a T4 for diagnosis. It isn't an accurate measure. It fluctuates a lot in a normal animal and can be high one day, zero the next; high in the morning, low in the evening. I've had occasion to see this firsthand. It's a normal feature of the hormone.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Darlene, Just checking in to see how Aladdin is doing. Is he eating? Feeling any better? Keeping the prayers and high beams on for him.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

I too have been wondering about Aladdin. Probably too soon to tell if the Panacur is helping. Just hope he isn't any worse. It sounds like both vets you have consulted are now working together or at least discussing Aladdin's case. That certainly sounds like a good thing. Your plan to finish out the Panacur dosing, retest & go from there may be the best idea right now. Am glad you stopped the Soloxine. Much better to do more complete testing before trying it. I can't imagine a vet turning you down on that request even if they feel it unnecessary.

Feel better Aladdin. We want you up & flying again soon.

Aladdin-aladdin-270653_435_360.gif