Something Is Hurting Somewhere

Guest Fruitloop

Guest Fruitloop

Yesterday after some hard running in the backyard Fruity walked into the house, and flopped onto her dog bed. This is normal. After she was done panting and cooling down she pretty much konked out, which is not normal for her. After about 30 minutes of sleeping she whimpered when she tried to get up off the bed. I did a check of her feet, toes and legs and found no obvious signs of anything wrong. Fruity's also a mad licker so if there was anything thing bothering her with her feet she would have licked the crap out of it by now. I rubbed all of her leg, chest and butt muscles to check for a cramp but didn't find any, in fact she was oddly limp and motionless throughout this inspection.

When she gets up she walks just fine without limping but looks a little stiff and slow. She's sleeping and dreaming peacefully next to me now so there's no panting or signs of distress when she's not moving. It's just when she tries to get up off the bed she whines or yelps and then slowly gets up. She also can't shake vigorously like she normally does after getting up or after we take off her walking collar. She wobbles her head side to side and then decides it's not worth it. She did manage to shake her back end normally this morning.

Appetite, poop and pee are normal, but she's not acting her normal nutty, bouncy self at all. I think she must have strained or sprained something...maybe her neck or shoulder?

Sounds like her neck may be bothering her. Limit her activity for a few days and see if she feels better. For Fruity: :dogcookie

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We too had a neck prob show up this way. She had aquapuncture & chiro adj. All was well the next day. Flared up once more & we just did rest & limited activity. All better in less than a week. No more probs since then.

Feel better Fruity

Guest Fruitloop

It's 2:59am where I am and we just woke up to the GSOD. That was the most frightening thing. Ever.

When she stopped screaming she stretched her back legs and stumbled around a bit and was reluctant to move. We got her to walk slowly to the living room and onto her dog bed there. Screamed once more en route...she's now lying peacefully next to us (we're camping out in the living room). The dog bed is larger here and she was fine on it all day.

Hours earlier she woke herself up without much of a whimper and went to the BF side of the bed to wake him. He petted her back to sleep on the dog bed in the bedroom. Its so weird because after taking it easy and resting all day she was looking a little better. She was even roaching the whole time I read the morning paper yesterday.

I am hoping a leg fell asleep or she moved her neck while dreaming or something really simple that caused all of this screaming. We're going to the vet first thing in the morning.

Guest verthib

It's 2:59am where I am and we just woke up to the GSOD. That was the most frightening thing. Ever.

When she stopped screaming she stretched her back legs and stumbled around a bit and was reluctant to move. We got her to walk slowly to the living room and onto her dog bed there. Screamed once more en route...she's now lying peacefully next to us (we're camping out in the living room). The dog bed is larger here and she was fine on it all day.

Hours earlier she woke herself up without much of a whimper and went to the BF side of the bed to wake him. He petted her back to sleep on the dog bed in the bedroom. Its so weird because after taking it easy and resting all day she was looking a little better. She was even roaching the whole time I read the morning paper yesterday.

I am hoping a leg fell asleep or she moved her neck while dreaming or something really simple that caused all of this screaming. We're going to the vet first thing in the morning.

I'm not convinced it is the neck, it might be, but she also could have pulled a muscle while running hard outside like you said she did before you noticed her in pain. If she isn't improving, it's good you're taking her to the vet.

Poor baby. Hope the vet finds it is something simple like a pulled muscle. I know that after hard exercise I sometimes feel like screaming after sitting still for a while. Maybe she is just stiffening up and sore. Sending good thoughts and prayers.

june

We're going to the vet first thing in the morning.

Yes, that is probably the best thing. Sounds like she is suffering more than mine did. Could still be neck & the GSOD could have been as much from surprise or fear. Still, in your place I would feel much better with a vet check.

Guest Fruitloop

UPDATE:

Just got back from the vet - it's a sprained neck!!

At first I was afraid Fruity would be 100% normal at the vet due to adrenaline and other dogs. Despite screaming all night long like death was upon her she bounced up with little complaint when breakfast was being served. Obviously the right motivation makes her forget she's "dying". :rolleyes:

The vet manipulated all of her parts and pushed on her spine but the only place she squeaked was when her neck was moved. Down is painless, up is a little painful, side to side is VERY painful. Since Fruity sleeps on her side she woke herself up with pain every time she looked up from bed or tried to get out of bed.

She's taking Rimadyl and Tramadol (ya think it would be easy to give a foodmonster dog two little pills...NOPE!) and hopefully she'll be more comfortable and all of us will get some sleep.

Whew!!!!!

Thank you all for your help! I never posted Fruit's first month on GT since I got her before I found you wonderful folks so please go here to see what she looks like:

http://peechierana.weebly.com/fruitys-first-month.html

She knows a lot more tricks now :D

Guest verthib

UPDATE:

Just got back from the vet - it's a sprained neck!!

At first I was afraid Fruity would be 100% normal at the vet due to adrenaline and other dogs. Despite screaming all night long like death was upon her she bounced up with little complaint when breakfast was being served. Obviously the right motivation makes her forget she's "dying". :rolleyes:

The vet manipulated all of her parts and pushed on her spine but the only place she squeaked was when her neck was moved. Down is painless, up is a little painful, side to side is VERY painful. Since Fruity sleeps on her side she woke herself up with pain every time she looked up from bed or tried to get out of bed.

She's taking Rimadyl and Tramadol (ya think it would be easy to give a foodmonster dog two little pills...NOPE!) and hopefully she'll be more comfortable and all of us will get some sleep.

Whew!!!!!

Thank you all for your help! I never posted Fruit's first month on GT since I got her before I found you wonderful folks so please go here to see what she looks like:

http://peechierana.weebly.com/fruitys-first-month.html

She knows a lot more tricks now :D

Glad you found out what it was. Try Greenie's pill poppers. For a food motivated dog, they work wonders.

She is beautiful by the way!