New Member / Initial Question

Guest bboozen

Guest bboozen

Hello everyone!

I am a new member to the forum...we just got "Electric" a couple months ago and are really enjoying him as a pet and learning more about this fascinating breed. After a bumpy start things have been going really smoothly and we're settling into a nice routine.

One of those routines involves going to our town's dog park first thing in the morning. We were very apprehensive at first but after scouting it out we tried it and he loved it. I find he exercises more and relieves more waste than a walk alone, so I have been going pretty much every day. We've never really had any problems although I am noticing that if two or more dogs are playing rough or chasing he gets very interested and joins in immediately and usually goes after the dog that is either being chased or is under the dominant dog(s) in the fray. Yesterday he did this and bit a puppy lab pretty good. The owner was cool about it and said "oh he's just putting Buddy in his place" but I saw what was going on. I did some more online research last night and read all about prey drive and dog park concerns, and now I'm really worried.

Electric is good with the muzzle so I don't have a problem putting it on him there if need be, but I wonder how he'll react if he can't nip at Buddy (who has a lot of puppy energy and quite frankly sometimes does just seem to need to understand who's boss.) I am less concerned about Electric getting hurt because I go early enough that it's usually the same two or three dogs and they all generally get along pretty well...but now I am petrified that Electric could really hurt another dog if he gets too caught up in the excitement. If he's muzzled is he any less likely to jump in the fray?

We don't have a fenced yard and would hate to give up the dog park, but obviously I need to make sure we're being safe about it.

I'd really appreciate any input/experience you folks have on this topic, and I look forward to interacting with you more in the future!!

Thanks,

Brian

Guest Wasserbuffel

Others who know more will be able to give better advice, but one way to start is to remove him from play when he starts getting over-excited. That will teach him that he's allowed to play with the other dogs, but he has to keep it at a decent level.

Don't put him out to play with a muzzle on unless ALL the other dogs are muzzled. If play turns to fighting, he won't be able to defend himself.

Welcome and congratulations on your adoption of Electric!

I'm not a dog park supporter, I've heard too many horror stories. But I would like to say DON'T muzzle Electric in the dog park. He can't defend himself if he's the only muzzled dog there. They either all need to be muzzled or none of them should be muzzled.

You don't state where you're located. Perhaps there are other greyhounds around you that you can meet up with?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Congrats on your new Greyhound Electric!!! You will become addicted and may get another Greybaby in a matter of months! It is an epidemic. :)

Welcome to the forum and you will have a greyt time here. Lots of very knowledgeable and caring folks here and are more than willing to help and give support and personal experiences.

I dont have any dog park experience as I have a big fenced in back yard so my Greybaby can run to her hearts content. Where I lived previously, I took my Greyhounds on 30 minute walks twice per day, and they went out for bathroom breaks about 4 times a day/evening (including the 30 minute walks). Lots of people here go to dog parks and will be able to help.

Greyhounds are so adaptable and loving. I think the nipping excitement your Greyhound shows is just playfulness and not meant to be defensive.

Have fun here and welcome to the family.:)

No no no, don't muzzle in the dog park. Not safe unless all dogs are muzzled.

I do use the dog park because I don't have a yard to speak of (and I get frustrated with the anti-dog park people who brag about their big yards -- good for you, but we don't all have those, and our dogs need to run too!), but I am very, very cautious, and you need to be too. Consider going when there is no one else there, or use a separate area that's unoccupied, or if you can work out times with certain regular dogs he does play well with. Greyhound play is very intense, and is focused on chasing and biting, and of course a greyhound will easily catch any dog it chases -- I know my girl is much too much for many dogs when she gets super-excited. Smaller or even many medium dogs aren't OK for her, and puppies of any kind (even teenage puppies) aren't OK -- they tend to be provoking and they get submissive when dogs chase or pack up on them, and that in turn brings out more intensity. And she is NOT a "high prey" dog -- lives with cats, etc.

Again, you have to be really careful, and it's a pain -- you have to give up opportunities to use it you'd like to have. But yes, your dog can hurt another dog, and you and he will be in a world of trouble if he does. If you could find other greys for yours to play with (all muzzled then) that would be ideal, but again, I know that's not realistic for all of us either.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest BrianRke

Dog parks can be VERY dangerous!! Many greyhounds have been seriously injured while playing in dog parks. Personally I dont like them, people bring their ill mannered, untrained dogs there to socialize them, many times at the expense of other peoples dogs.

IF you do continue to take him to a dog park you should NOT muzzle him because he would have no way to protect himself.

There are some people on here that take their dogs to dog parks and they dont have any problems, and thats great. I have to pass the local dog park every day, its in my neighborhood, and I've seen way too many dog fights.

In my opinion, its not worth the risk!

ETA: THere is also a huge risk of your dog injuring another dog, and you DEFINITELY dont want that to happen. People with small dogs are always letting them run with the big dogs...not smart, but it will be your dogs fault(legally) if he goes after one and injures or kills it.

Edited by BrianRke

I occasionally go to a particular dog park. The people and dogs both are nice and well-mannered. The problem that arises is from my quiet, calm, even-tempered Annie Bella. She is so sweet and laid back every other place, but is very competitive in a dog park. She can, of course, outrun every other dog there, but instead, runs with them and then grabs an opportunity to cut them off by running in front of them. I suppose much like on a race track?? Whatever, it can be dangerous to the other dogs -- I've seen more than one trip and fall down. Once she starts that, I leash her and have her settle down.

I've heard many reasons why dog parks are bad from the physical danger to my dog as well as others, and that it's a good place to get fleas and diseases. I can't do much about the fleas (I live in the country so she gets them anyway very easily), but I never go into a dog park without first watching the interaction of the dogs already there. If it doesn't look good, we leave, and if a dog shows up that changes the balance, we leave.

I agree, don't muzzle unless it's a grey specific event.

I took my boys when we first got Ryder to the dog park and I knew that Kasey was a bit of a butthead and I didn't want to risk injury to Ryder from Kasey, and someone pointed out to me that it wouldn't be a good idea because they wouldn't be able to defend themselves from another dog. I thought, I don't want Kasey biting Ryder, but for some reason I didn't really think about anyone going to bite Kasey.....

I'm also not a dog park supporter, I've experienced too much bull whenever we've gone, with people, with other dogs, with sickness, etc. When Ryder really needs to burn off some energy, I will take the chance and go to the dog park very very early one morning and put him in the "small dog" section because I can keep a better eye on him. Usually no one is there early morning, and if they are, they are in the big dog section. I'm not using the small dog section for very long and if I see a small dog wanting to use it we just leave.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

No no no, don't muzzle in the dog park. Not safe unless all dogs are muzzled.

I do use the dog park because I don't have a yard to speak of (and I get frustrated with the anti-dog park people who brag about their big yards -- good for you, but we don't all have those, and our dogs need to run too!), but I am very, very cautious, and you need to be too. Consider going when there is no one else there, or use a separate area that's unoccupied, or if you can work out times with certain regular dogs he does play well with. Greyhound play is very intense, and is focused on chasing and biting, and of course a greyhound will easily catch any dog it chases -- I know my girl is much too much for many dogs when she gets super-excited. Smaller or even many medium dogs aren't OK for her, and puppies of any kind (even teenage puppies) aren't OK -- they tend to be provoking and they get submissive when dogs chase or pack up on them, and that in turn brings out more intensity.

Agree with all this.

Want to add that if Electric is biting a puppy, he shouldn't be in there when there are puppies around. Dogs that are "good with puppies" so to speak, will generally tolerate very wayward behavior that they wouldn't allow from older dogs. They might "correct" a puppy that's getting too boisterous, but they would do so in a way that is not meant to inflict physical harm. It doesn't sound like Electric is treating the puppy any differently than he would an adult dog behaving in the same way–so I would worry about things escalating if they were allowed to play together in the future.

Obviously there is a risk involved in going to the dog park, but you can greatly minimize it by going at off-peak hours, checking out the dogs in there before you enter, making sure Electric has a solid recall so that you can call him off if trouble arises, and being ready to leave if an unsuitable dog shows up. Also...if you don't already, I would walk him right before you go. If he has too much pent-up energy, that can also lead to problems.

Edited by mariah

We have a high prey drive grey and another who is learning the behaviour (and we're working to correct this). However, we are also resigned to the fact that our dogs will never be unmuzzled in public and we only attend dog parks with other greys. It's too hard otherwise. Even as it is, we got a sck when one of our greys (high prey drive) jumped vertically over 6 foot to attempt to get over the dog park fence and play with a sheltie on the other side.

Guest verthib

Hello everyone!

I am a new member to the forum...we just got "Electric" a couple months ago and are really enjoying him as a pet and learning more about this fascinating breed. After a bumpy start things have been going really smoothly and we're settling into a nice routine.

One of those routines involves going to our town's dog park first thing in the morning. We were very apprehensive at first but after scouting it out we tried it and he loved it. I find he exercises more and relieves more waste than a walk alone, so I have been going pretty much every day. We've never really had any problems although I am noticing that if two or more dogs are playing rough or chasing he gets very interested and joins in immediately and usually goes after the dog that is either being chased or is under the dominant dog(s) in the fray. Yesterday he did this and bit a puppy lab pretty good. The owner was cool about it and said "oh he's just putting Buddy in his place" but I saw what was going on. I did some more online research last night and read all about prey drive and dog park concerns, and now I'm really worried.

Electric is good with the muzzle so I don't have a problem putting it on him there if need be, but I wonder how he'll react if he can't nip at Buddy (who has a lot of puppy energy and quite frankly sometimes does just seem to need to understand who's boss.) I am less concerned about Electric getting hurt because I go early enough that it's usually the same two or three dogs and they all generally get along pretty well...but now I am petrified that Electric could really hurt another dog if he gets too caught up in the excitement. If he's muzzled is he any less likely to jump in the fray?

We don't have a fenced yard and would hate to give up the dog park, but obviously I need to make sure we're being safe about it.

I'd really appreciate any input/experience you folks have on this topic, and I look forward to interacting with you more in the future!!

Thanks,

Brian

I cannot say enough how my Angus is just LIKE that! He gets super stimulated if dogs are running or playing rough. We started him in a weekly play group so he could learn some manners and it's helping a little but I truly believe its just his 'make up' to behave this way. He does it at the dog parks too, to the point of getting dangerous. I also don't enjoy myself when he's like that. The simple solution? We muzzle him in groups of dog's. It's safer for everyone. I'm relaxed. I'm not constantly apologizing to other parents. He has more fun too. You will get lots of advice, but my opinion is, we've tried the trainer, play group, commands, water bottle, etc and while it all helped some, nothing was really stopping the behavior. He bit three dog's before we said enough was enough and now we just muzzle him. It's quick and easy and gets the job done. And everyone is calmer and safer. If anyone asks why he has it on just say he's still learning to socialize so you do it as a precaution. No one has ever had an issue when I give that explanation.

ETA: if there are other aggressive dogs at the dog park we don't muzzle. We just go for a walk elsewhere. It wouldn't be fair to have one muzzled and others not. This has only happened to us once though. All the other times we brought him, it has worked beautifully to have him muzzled. I'm in the minority, I know, but it works for us.

Edited by verthib

Personally, I'd never take my hounds to a dog park unless it was empty. The risk is too great that your dog will be hurt (greys have thin skin) or that he'll hurt another dog (for which he could be put to sleep).

However, if you do take him, please don't leave him defenseless by muzzling him when no one else is.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest bboozen

Thanks to all for the great advice. Based on the responses I won't muzzle him so I am really glad I asked. I go pretty early in the morning and often we have it to ourselves or just one other dog (almost always one of three dogs that he plays with a lot) so I would still be ok going in then. If there's already more than one (or if another shows up) I'll just run him in the small dog area...there is never anyone in there that early. It's not ideal, but it certainly sounds like the prudent thing to do. I could never forgive myself if he got hurt, or hurt another dog.

Thanks!

Another option is to get a chuck it or a lure pole and find an enclosed baseball field. I take a bunch cord and tie the gate shut while I play with my dogs. It's our own private dog park :-)

Bunch = bungy.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

bboozen,

You sound like a very good & smart owner. Am so glad you took the initiative to do some reading & decided to be proactive. I take my dogs to dog parks but am very careful where, when & with whom I let them run. One of mine would behave just as you describe. He is fine with all dogs regardless of breed until he starts running & gets amped up. Then he can act like a bully with certain dogs such as the puppy in your situation, even if the dog might outweigh him. It isn't the other dogs breed or size so much as its behavior that makes the difference. So with him I am even more careful now.

You might be able to let him run with others when the more submissive behaving dog is not there. Or playing in the small dog area as long as small dogs were not there would be the best idea. Kamsmom had a great idea with the bungy cord. I use a extra leash, using the clip to hold the gate latch closed & wrapping the leash around the gate & fence posts a few times. Someone else could undo it. It isn't like its really locked. The idea though is to give someone pause allowing me time to gather my dogs & head to the gate. One caution though is that if your dog is not small dog tolerant or is high prey then using the small dog area should be ruled out. Too much risk there of a small dog person not giving you time to get out the gate before they come in.

Kamsmom's suggestion of using a ball field is an excellent one & one I would suggest as far preferable to using the small dog area.

Eh, I use the small dog area all the time at my park and have for ages. I've never had anyone come in before I could get my dog leashed. Of course it has a clear view of the parking area and "vestibule" for both spaces. I think the OP can be trusted to use her judgment with that.

FWIW all ball fields where I live have multiple gaps in the fence by design. I'm pretty envious of all the folks who seem to have these nice enclosed fields!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest BrianRke

Eh, I use the small dog area all the time at my park and have for ages. I've never had anyone come in before I could get my dog leashed. Of course it has a clear view of the parking area and "vestibule" for both spaces. I think the OP can be trusted to use her judgment with that.

FWIW all ball fields where I live have multiple gaps in the fence by design. I'm pretty envious of all the folks who seem to have these nice enclosed fields!

I am envious too, all the ball fields in my area have overlapping gaps in the fence. The only ones that dont are the skate parks, basketball and tennis courts and those really are not an option because they are covered in asphalt :(

Guest verthib

We have great enclosed ball fields where I live but there are strictly no dogs allowed. We took our two once and someone called animal control on us. There was no signage by the way.

Guest bboozen

I will definitely keep my eyes open for ball fields, but like others have said the ones I'm aware of around us are not completely fenced in. Ironically there is a nice field adjacent to the dog park that is completely closed in but it's newly-installed artificial turf...I am guessing that wouldn't go over well with the school ;-)

I noticed some of the respondents to this thread are in Connecticut. If anyone is aware of any greyhound-only "playdates" in the area please keep me posted. Obviously that doesn't take care of my daily need, but it would be fun to see Electric playing with other greys once in a while.

Guest verthib

I will definitely keep my eyes open for ball fields, but like others have said the ones I'm aware of around us are not completely fenced in. Ironically there is a nice field adjacent to the dog park that is completely closed in but it's newly-installed artificial turf...I am guessing that wouldn't go over well with the school ;-)

I noticed some of the respondents to this thread are in Connecticut. If anyone is aware of any greyhound-only "playdates" in the area please keep me posted. Obviously that doesn't take care of my daily need, but it would be fun to see Electric playing with other greys once in a while.

I'm in CT. I've tried to set up a grey play date but it fell apart. It was around the holidays and we all got busy. Where in CT are you?

Guest UESBrindle

I'm in CT. I've tried to set up a grey play date but it fell apart. It was around the holidays and we all got busy. Where in CT are you?

I'm in Darien and have one hound that could do a play-date currently (the other is still recovering from surgery on his paw), and we do have 2 nice dog parks near us - New Caanan and Rowayton but could also be happy with a a nice long walk if either of you guys would be up for it!

Elizabeth

Guest bboozen

I'm in Darien and have one hound that could do a play-date currently (the other is still recovering from surgery on his paw), and we do have 2 nice dog parks near us - New Caanan and Rowayton but could also be happy with a a nice long walk if either of you guys would be up for it!

Elizabeth

I'm in New Fairfield, just north of Danbury. I would be up for a greys-only play date if we could find a good enclosed park or something in the area. I work in Stamford so anywhere in Western Fairfield County would be doable for me.

Guest verthib

Elizabeth

I'm in New Fairfield, just north of Danbury. I would be up for a greys-only play date if we could find a good enclosed park or something in the area. I work in Stamford so anywhere in Western Fairfield County would be doable for me.

I'm going to post a thread in Everything Else Greyhound so all the CT folks can respond. I'm in the Manchester area. I seem to be the outlier.

Regarding the ball diamonds... You can make your own portable gates to close off the dugout entrances, if that's the problem with them. I can put pictures here if anyone is interested.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance