Alternatives To Dental

Guest madredhare

Guest madredhare

I am looking for ideas on alternatives to a dental under anesthesia. My Tom will be 12 in March. He suffered malignant hyperthermia when they tried to do his last dental in the spring. They were able to get the teeth that were bad at the time out before he suffered his episode. His teeth are horrible as well as his breath. I am looking for suggestions for products that might help. Thanks in advance.

Guest wmlcml6

I used to use a water pik on our Curly Sue, who came to us with the most awful teeth (holes between tooth and gumline that collected food - very gross). When one of her teeth cracked and was dangling in her mouth, my vet gave her a valium cocktail and then cleaned as best he could while I held Curly Sue and tried to keep her calm. It wasn't as thorough as the under anesthesia cleaning, but at her age we wouldn't risk putting her under anymore. I highly recommend a water pik as I think it gave us an extra year with our girl.

Did you have his surgical history from when he was neutered?? The reason I ask is if he didn't have a problem with MH at his neuter then the last episode was most likely non-MH. Try to gather all of his records-- there might be a safer protocol.

Anesthesia free dentistrys are not recommended as they do not address the true oral disease. What you end up with is clean crowns and possible decaying roots and mobile teeth-- you are not doing your hound justtce

Guest madredhare

Did you have his surgical history from when he was neutered?? The reason I ask is if he didn't have a problem with MH at his neuter then the last episode was most likely non-MH. Try to gather all of his records-- there might be a safer protocol.

Anesthesia free dentistrys are not recommended as they do not address the true oral disease. What you end up with is clean crowns and possible decaying roots and mobile teeth-- you are not doing your hound justtce

I have had Tom for almost 9 years now. So I doubt I would be able to get his records from then. He has had dentals before, just this last time he had the episode.

I have had Tom for almost 9 years now. So I doubt I would be able to get his records from then. He has had dentals before, just this last time he had the episode.

Then it was a non-MH event.

I understand your concern. My angel Liath had a non-malignant hyperthermia episode after a dental (actually happened more than once). Vet at the time was unconcerned that she was peeing blood (indicating possible rhabdomyolysis). angryfire.gif I thought it was MH but as I was told, she wouldn't have made it if it was. Still scary for humans, & painful for the hound. But she did need anesthesia after that so I had a long talk with her new vet & as tbhounds said, the protocol was tweaked. Different drugs can be given but they have to be watched for rising stress levels (that was my Liath's trigger).

If Tom needs dental work badly enough, he can go under safely but you have to have a vet practice that will will work closely with you. Having a dirty mouth is a terrible stressor on a senior houndie. I'd really try to find a way to get him a proper cleaning because I don't think there's anything topical that will do the job. They can help with maintenance after but unfortunately there's no substitute for a real dental. sad.gif My best wishes to you & Tom.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest madredhare

I understand your concern. My angel Liath had a non-malignant hyperthermia episode after a dental (actually happened more than once). Vet at the time was unconcerned that she was peeing blood (indicating possible rhabdomyolysis). angryfire.gif I thought it was MH but as I was told, she wouldn't have made it if it was. Still scary for humans, & painful for the hound. But she did need anesthesia after that so I had a long talk with her new vet & as tbhounds said, the protocol was tweaked. Different drugs can be given but they have to be watched for rising stress levels (that was my Liath's trigger).

If Tom needs dental work badly enough, he can go under safely but you have to have a vet practice that will will work closely with you. Having a dirty mouth is a terrible stressor on a senior houndie. I'd really try to find a way to get him a proper cleaning because I don't think there's anything topical that will do the job. They can help with maintenance after but unfortunately there's no substitute for a real dental. sad.gif My best wishes to you & Tom.

My Tom is super nervous whenever he is out of his element. Going to the vet is such a stress on him. I am just trying to gather facts so I can talk to the vet about this.

So was my Liath. She would shake so much, her nails would drum on the floor. Not to mention panting hard enough to suck all the air out of the room. blush.gif

Funny little story though: my angel Faolin was getting a series of allergy shots & I would bring her along for the ride. So they'd both be standing, waiting for the tech to come get him, him panting from excitement, her from fear. The tech comes out & takes his leash & Liath follows him!!! She would rather have been with him having god knows what done than with me in the waiting room! rolleyes.gif She was even more nervous until he returned & we could get the heck out of there.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

You could try raw meaty bones a few times a week in place of a meal along with daily brushing and regular treatment with Petzlife and see where you get, but if you've got dental disease going on rather than just some plaque or tarter buildup then I think you may need to see if you can work out a better anesthesia protocol. But maybe at least the bones and dental cleanings will help so he'll need to spend less time under.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Non-anaesthesia dentals: We have done them for my angel Zema and now for Gidget. The technician does exactly what she does when the dog is under anaesthesia -- under the gumline, polishing, the works. This requires a dog who will hold still. I have always taken the dogs in before the teeth got really gross. If they were really gunked up, might require a couple of sessions instead of just one.

Anaesthesia dentals: For Joseph's last dental, I arranged with the vet and technician to take him in right when they were ready for him (I live 5 minutes' drive away). I dropped him off, they took him straight back and put him under. They used Propofol for induction, no other induction meds, and standard gas anaesthesia. An hour later he was done and ready to come home. He was awake, ambulatory, and in fine form.

So, maybe sit down with your vet and technician and see what suggestions they have for you. Best luck!

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sorry Batmom- gotta disagree here. Coming from someone that performs prophys almost daily- got to say the anesthetic free dentals are just that- dentals- not a proper dentistry. What the op needs is a proper anesthetic protocol To the OP please talk with your veterinarian to discuss your concerns. .

Edited by tbhounds

Sorry Batmom- gotta disagree here. Coming from someone that performs prophys almost daily- got to say the anesthetic free dentals are just that- dentals- not a proper dentistry.

My vet and technician have verified that what they do while the dog is awake is exactly what they do when the dog is asleep. I think they would know that. They too perform dentals on a daily basis and have for many years.

Angel Zema and Gidget are the only two dogs they've done this for -- it isn't a service they advertise or offer regularly. However, it has been very successful for us. Thus I feel it's worth asking about when an owner has concerns about putting a dog under.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

One of our sighthounds has a heart murmur so we do not do a dental putting him under. Our holistic vet does a teeth cleaning while he is awake. Of course if he needed to have a tooth pulled we would not put him under as there is the chance he would not come out of it. Perhaps check into a vet that will do a cleaning without putting your pup under. Wish you and your pup the very best.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Sorry Batmom- gotta disagree here. Coming from someone that performs prophys almost daily- got to say the anesthetic free dentals are just that- dentals- not a proper dentistry.

My vet and technician have verified that what they do while the dog is awake is exactly what they do when the dog is asleep. I think they would know that. They too perform dentals on a daily basis and have for many years.

Angel Zema and Gidget are the only two dogs they've done this for -- it isn't a service they advertise or offer regularly. However, it has been very successful for us. Thus I feel it's worth asking about when an owner has concerns about putting a dog under.

Sorry- not to butt heads here but, no its not the same- you can't clean the lingual side of the teeth nor, perform extractions or clean deep gingival pockets or perform oral nerve blocks...... What you can do w/o anesthesia is groom the teeth making pretty crowns.

I'm assuming a 12 yr old hound needs more than a "grooming".

you can't clean the lingual side of the teeth nor, perform extractions or clean deep gingival pockets or perform oral nerve blocks...... What you can do w/o anesthesia is groom the teeth making pretty crowns.

I'm assuming a 12 yr old hound needs more than a "grooming".

The lingual sides of the teeth are cleaned. My dogs don't have deep gingival pockets -- the gums are thoroughly checked during the dental -- and have not needed nerve blocks or extractions.

I'm sure these two dogs of mine, past and present, are exceptional, but I don't think they're unique in their response to veterinary handling.

Edited by Batmom

I have alternated between an anesthesia dental and a non-anesthesia dental. She gets both, Dali has a vet with her when she is doing the dental and if she feels a surgical dental is needed, she is clear about it. I also brush, use the enzyme gel and give her Dentastix which have done more than the lamb necks or marrow bones ever did. Just what works for my girl. For the surgical, I am lucky in that the local denist is board certified and the anesthetist is from OSU. I still worry.