Drug Shortages? Novartis Closes Plant

I don't know if this is old news, but it seems that it's being kept fairly quiet. Novartis have suspended production and closed their plant in Nebraska. They make Interceptor Flavor Tabs, Sentinel Flavor Tabs, Clomicalm, Program Tablets and Suspension and Milbemite. Deramaxx is also being affected.

How this will affect supplies, I have no idea, but I thought I'd repost it here.

Here's the first story I read.

And here's another. I thought I'd better check that it was a genuine news story, not a scaremongerer.

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I live close to the city in Nebraska where the closed Novartis plant is and it's been big news around here. It was discovered that their have been numerous complaints dating back to 2009 of OTC products that had mixed products in the same bottle and broken pills etc. The biggest problem seems to be that none of the issues were ever investigated or dealt with in any way by plant management.

This thread reminded me today that I needed to call my vet for a new supply of Interceptor. I asked them about shortages, and they told me they haven't noticed it yet, however that may change once Spring comes around and more people administer it to their dogs for only part of the year. They also said the patent is due to expire which will mean cheaper meds...woo hoo!

Guest madredhare

Lots of luck getting the Interceptor. I tried to get mine for the hounds about a month ago and they were out. No one in our area has any heartworm meds. Seriously, how can this happen? Is there only one manufacturer?

No one in our area has any heartworm meds.

There are a lot of other heartworm preventatives beside Interceptor/Sentinel. None of the other ones are affected by the shortage. You shouldn't have any problems getting products like Heartgard (or any of the generic equivalents), Trifexis, Advantage Multi, or Revolution.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg