Vomiting?

Hi All,

I know this is probably dog ownership 101, but I can never think clearly when it's my own hounds!

JJ threw up for no apparent reason about two days ago. He had eaten a very hard crust from a piece of calzone that he grabbed from the fridge. When he threw up - it was about 10 minutes after dinner and those hard pieces were in it though he had eaten them a few hours earlier.

Tonight he threw up and I saw a few pieces of hard plastic from a chew toy he had eaten.

Could those "hard" things that he might have trouble passing have caused the vomiting? He is not a hound who usually gets sick, so he has me a bit worried. I also don't know if that first time he had a few pieces of the chew toy in him as well because by the time I heard him getting sick he was .....well...cleaning up his little mess - so he might have eaten some of it back up.

He did run a little in the yard after he ate.....I let him out and they started doing zoomies...I stopped him quickly as I worry about him running after he eats....but I don't think that's the problem as he had not been running the other day before he got sick.

His appetite is fine....immediately after throwing up, I let him out for a minute and when he came back in, he wanted a treat.

Thoughts on the fact that he has thrown up twice in two or three days? I looked around for places where he might have thrown up when I wasn't home - but I don't see any mysterious spots anywhere.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

The only time Myka ever threw up was after she'd chewed the fabric and hard plastic of one of my baseball caps. :blink: But certainly call your vet and ask what else you should look for.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest verthib

Hi All,

I know this is probably dog ownership 101, but I can never think clearly when it's my own hounds!

JJ threw up for no apparent reason about two days ago. He had eaten a very hard crust from a piece of calzone that he grabbed from the fridge. When he threw up - it was about 10 minutes after dinner and those hard pieces were in it though he had eaten them a few hours earlier.

Tonight he threw up and I saw a few pieces of hard plastic from a chew toy he had eaten.

Could those "hard" things that he might have trouble passing have caused the vomiting? He is not a hound who usually gets sick, so he has me a bit worried. I also don't know if that first time he had a few pieces of the chew toy in him as well because by the time I heard him getting sick he was .....well...cleaning up his little mess - so he might have eaten some of it back up.

He did run a little in the yard after he ate.....I let him out and they started doing zoomies...I stopped him quickly as I worry about him running after he eats....but I don't think that's the problem as he had not been running the other day before he got sick.

His appetite is fine....immediately after throwing up, I let him out for a minute and when he came back in, he wanted a treat.

Thoughts on the fact that he has thrown up twice in two or three days? I looked around for places where he might have thrown up when I wasn't home - but I don't see any mysterious spots anywhere.

I think it's because he's been eating things he shouldn't have.

Guest BrianRke

Frank has eaten lots of things he shouldnt have. I have gone through what you described many times. Objects that wont digest will usually stay in the stomach and be thrown up at some later point. Its much better that they do this because if it makes its way to the intestines, there is a real possibility of a blockage occuring. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is pooping ok.

Frank has eaten lots of things he shouldnt have. I have gone through what you described many times. Objects that wont digest will usually stay in the stomach and be thrown up at some later point. Its much better that they do this because if it makes its way to the intestines, there is a real possibility of a blockage occuring. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is pooping ok.

That is just what I am hoping....and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that it is just coincidence that it happened twice within a few days. That stale calzone piece was actually as hard as the platic from the toy....Since the vomiting two days ago, his poo has been perfectly normal.

Thanks!

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Is he pooping ok? If there is a blockage then he wouldn't be able to poop much (or at all)

Pooping fine...nice healthy bouncy poos for the past few days! When Jack ate the scrunchies, he had some diarreah along with the vomiting. JJ's poo patterns seem OK. Though..he didn't go tonight yet - but he did have a healthy poo at 12:00 this afternoon. I would expect another one when they get their late night dinner in an hour (though I think he will only get a tiny bit).

Edited by mychip1