Update On Conan & Chesney

Guest Psycmeistr

Guest Psycmeistr

It's been awhile since I've posted here, but just thought I'd share on how my two hounds are doing after bringing them home early in November.

Chesney (Boc's Chesney) is still a spook, but we've made a lot of progress.. He comes out of his shell totally when we are out in the backyard (very lovey-dovey), so that's a LOT of progress. He also ventures out of his crate once in a while (if Conan comes out) and will accept scritches. He also loves to go for walks, but if ANYTHING touches his hinder (even the leash) he freaks out and wants to bolt. Also, he's just like Bambi on ice when we go to Petco and walk on the tiled floor--even after I had his nails trimmed. (Conan has NO difficulty on the tiled floor) When I take the hounds to the dog park, Chesney is a lost soul. He wanders about the periphery and doesn't know how to engage with unfamiliar humans or dogs-- it seems that he just hasn't been socialized with either.

But, compared to being the total spook when I first adopted him, we HAVE made a LOT of progress. He will only be three years old soon, and there's still a lot of time to work with him.

Conan (Hiltex Conan), well-- he's really turned into my "heart" dog. We've really bonded. When I first got Conan, there was a lot of fear and trepidation since his "Cat Safe" status was a no-go. I needed to keep him on lead for the first few hours at home with his muzzle on-- Conan had a prey drivefixation toward those cats that seemed wouldn't be broken--but the cats wouldn't back down, and after a few swats on Conan's snoot, Conan found that they were indeed a force to be reckoned with. Our cats are now just "part of the pack" and Conan isn't phased by them at all (but he sure wants to go after the squirrels he sees on our walks!). Conan is really turning out to be a "Daddy's boy"-- when we go to the dog park, he will socialize with other dogs and/or humans for a few moments, but will always return to my side.

I think the big difference between Conan and Chesney (my theory) is their race records. Conan raced 80 times, and has had a lot of human and canine contact; whereas Chesney raced only once, and may have missed out on socialization experiences during critical developmental moments.

At any rate, I love them both, and have absolutely no regrets about taking the plunge. :)

Edited by Psycmeistr

Enjoyed reading such a nice update. Chesney may very well surprise you as he continues to grow and get older. Sometimes it is unbelievable how much they change after they've soaked up so much love over the years. My Goldie's bark even changed! When he was young and scared and spooky he barked like a little girl if at all. Couple of years later he acted like a different dog and barked a deep manly bark! I think one of the things that helped Goldie change so much was Slim-who was exteremely outgoing(actually aggressive). So I can guarantee you Chesney is probably watching Conan very carefully and learning that he doesn't have to fear. Give them a scritch for me!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I know the "Boc" farm and can guarantee you that the hound did not suffer from mistreatment or lack of human contact in any way shape or form. Greyhounds have almost never been socialized with other dogs, no need, they just need to learn to interact with humans, and run really fast. Some hounds have anxiety and nervousness, just because they have these traits, it doesnt mean they were abused or negleted. As you said though, it doesnt really matter you love them. If you are ever in the Iowa/Chicago area and would like to visit the farm where your Boc hound was raised, I think I can help you get in contact with the owner, just so you can see for yourself where Chesney came from.

Chad

Guest Psycmeistr

I'll take your word for it, Chad-like I said, it was just a theory.- I've just been trying to figure out why Chesney has been such a nervous wreck-and so inept at socializing, even with other hounds- guess it's just in his constitution-

I do make it to Chicago once or twice a year (although Iowa is only a few hours south of where I live here in Minnesota).

One thing I like about *both* hounds, is that they *never* void (pee or poop) while on lead and going for a walk. They always wait til we get back home and they get off-lead in the back yard-

Guest PhillyPups

Sounds like they both are doing well. I have found that the hounds are very much like humans, some are more comfortable in their own skin and more outgoing than others. This is probably what it is. Some figure homelife quickly, some take longer. AnnnaBanana, now a very outgoing Mama dawg was very withdrawn the first few months she was with me. She never lived in a home before. She had been handled and well taken care of continually. I learned she does not give her trust quickly, BUT when she does, it is there forever. She rules the house most times. Now she sleeps with me all the time, big change from her first 3 months home. DonnieDude on the other hand walked into out home like he has always been in one, and he came right from the race kennel. Each dog is different, but they sound like they compliment each other well. It is awesome to see the shyer, reserved ones open up and blossom, it is like watching a beautiful rosebud bloom.

Enjoy!!

Guest elisemg

I have a "Boc" girl! I love her so much! She is fantastic...wish I were closer because I would love to visit their farm. We stayed in contact for a short bit after I adopted "Boc's Sweet Suzy (now Tora)

• 2 months later...
Guest Psycmeistr

Well.. they're still doing good--

Oddly enough, however, I do continue to have housebreaking problems with them, though. It all started, I think, when our son was house-sitting the dogs, and did not return to let them out in a timely manner. Since then, I believe that they think the area in front of the fireplace is their personal toileting area when it suits them. Just This morning, they had been outside for much of the morning, and had been indoors for around an hour. I was busy shampooing the carpet; I looked up and noticed that Chesney was peeing on the ceramic-tiled floor in the entryway! For this reason, they are now crated when we are away. I'm hoping that this is not necessary in the future, but if crating continues to be necessary, so be it. (they spend time in their open crates when we're home, too--and they are supplied with comfy beds; it doesn't seem to bother them to be there).

Chesney, however, continues to come out of his shell. He comes out of his crate a lot more often now and loves individual attention; however, he's still very skiddish around strangers and/or lesser-known acquaintances Conan continues to be his old genteel self.

Many people, including me, believe spook dogs are BORN, not made. Nervous dogs exist in every breed. Your spooky boy probably would have been that way no matter HOW he was handled. While his disposition might have been why he didn't race, it's highly unlikely his disposition has anything to do with how he was treated. And all the track dogs are "socialized" in the exact same manner.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Psycmeistr

Like I said, Chesney is coming out of his shell more and more. He'll venture out of his crate regularly now and will come to me for hugs & skritches.. He's really turning into a lovey dovey with me, though he's still relatively petrified of strangers. We're going to attempt to socialize him a lot this summer-- hopefully he'll be more OK with strangers by the end of summer.

I am glad to hear that he is improving! I have one, who is not what I would consider spooky, but was very very shy and withdrawn. It took over two years, but he now pushes to the front for pets and is so much more out-going then he was when we dragged him home. Lots of time and patience to let him develop at his own pace made all the difference for him. The effort I put into him has created a very strong bond between us. I just love my scaredy boy!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow