Winter Boots

Guest nd5thyear

Guest nd5thyear

Chicago winter has officially kicked off with the 4-6 inches we got (and will continue to get). It's also gotten very cold.

Fae, even with her coat, can only make it for 10-15 mins on her walks and I think it's mostly due to the snow/ice. She starts to limp/lift her leg at which point I brush it off and she's ok for a little bit longer.

But I'd like to just get her a good quality pair of boots (at least for her front paws). Does anyone have any suggestions on good brands/kinds? Or any other advice relating to the winter snow/ice?

Thanks and stay warm out there!

I used PAWZ booties on my guy when I lived in Madison, WI. They are like thick balloons that slip over their feet and work really well at protecting the feet from salt. We walked a lot on the sidewalks, so the problem was more with salt than snow, but they helped with both. They last a fairly long time. They come 12 to a pack, so when one does get ripped or lost, you have several replacements.

When Davis got into snow that was really deep, he occasionally lost a bootie, and since his were a bright greeen I couled ususally go back and find it. If not me, one of my neighbors would, and I would come home from work to find a green bootie on my doorknob.

I found it easiest to put them on him when he was lying down. He got so that if I grabbed the booties and waved them at him, he would go to his dog bed and lie down and wait for me to put his booties on. Booties meant time to go OUTSIDE!!!

Good luck with your girl. I hope she learns to enjoy the snow; Davis sure did.

Rebecca and Manny

Neo-paws

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest GreyDogsRule

Chicago winter has officially kicked off with the 4-6 inches we got (and will continue to get). It's also gotten very cold.

Fae, even with her coat, can only make it for 10-15 mins on her walks and I think it's mostly due to the snow/ice. She starts to limp/lift her leg at which point I brush it off and she's ok for a little bit longer.

But I'd like to just get her a good quality pair of boots (at least for her front paws). Does anyone have any suggestions on good brands/kinds? Or any other advice relating to the winter snow/ice?

Thanks and stay warm out there!

I am just north of you in Milwaukee and am now trying to find something that will work for my three.

I tried muttlucks a few years ago without success. One of my hounds would try and walk on the top of the booties instead on the soles. The other two would look at me like they were thinking "you expect me to walk in these things or what" I also was not able to get twelve booties on three greys at one time. i would get up to about ten booties on and two or three would get thrown off. I am glad others have had success with them.

I am looking into woodrowear power socks. They appear to go on easy and are much lighter than booties. i will report back it they work well for my three.

http://woodrowwear.com/

• 4 weeks later...

We have had good luck with the Pawz rubber boots. Misty won't tolerate any of the other brands, or they slip off of her skinny feet and get lost in the snow. She actually lay down on the side of the road once in protest of uncomfortable boots! The Pawz stay on and she doesn't mind wearing them. The blue ones look cute...like Smurf boots. I think she enjoys the traction...she likes to skid around on top of the crusty snow in them.