Removing Stitches

I just found some old stitches on new New-Girlie-Without-A-Name's ankle (rear). The kennel didn't mention them, so they could easily have been there for months. (They're clear, greenish plastic, and not at all noticeable.) Can I take them out myself? Clean the area with some alcohol, clip under the knot and pull steadily? Or since they're probably old, should we do a vet visit to get them out? She doesn't seem at all bothered by them, and the area isn't irritated at all.

She's also got some kind of problem between two front toes. Maybe webbing that split(?). I'm doing Epson salt soaks and antibiotic goop on that right now, but if it doesn't improve/gets worse we'll being going to the vet and stitches could come out then.

I'd really wanted to wait for a vet trip till after she's insured and past the 30-day mark. Dogs know how to spend money, don't they?!? ;)

If the stitches are turnable and kind of loose... you should be able to remove them yourself. But I personally would be reluctant to touch them if they were tight and you could just make it harder then for the vet to remove them. Good luck!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I take out my pup's stitches all the time. I wait until the time the vet tells me they should come out and check to make sure it's healed up.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Used to take stitches out of my horses/dogs all the time.

No problem! If they seem "stuck" you could use a bit of Bag Balm or some neosporine to lube up the holes! You might consider putting her muzzle on in case she's sensitive.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Easy-peasey, all done! The worst part was having my nose aimed toward the gassy end of the dog! She's so calm; I almost think she enjoyed the attention. :blush Btw, the muzzle was already on because she and Joe are still cranking at each other once in a while. And now she's dreaming. God, she's cute!

awww, have you posted pictures?

This thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/280804-we-need-a-name-for-joes-new-sister/page__p__5114713__hl__%2Bsister+%2Bneeds__fromsearch__1#entry5114713

These are cell phone pics; my camera and computer aren't playing nicely right now. She has the prettiest eyes and just wants to be petted all the time. The first two days she was a stuffy maniac, but she's settling in and being a proper greyhound now! She has a tiny bit of SA, which I'm using to my advantage. ;) She's been really afraid of walking upstairs, but when I stayed up there for awhile earlier she decided that going upstairs was better than being alone. No problems when she was crated (Joe in the room and music on) and I left for a few hours. She's a very chilled-out dog.

If you suspect the webbing is split the epsom salt soaks are a great idea. If infections seems possible you can add enough Betadine (or generic 10% povidone idodine) to turn the water the color of tea & then add in the epsom salt. (Because for some reason the epsom salt starts to remove the color from the iodine.) After that try to dry the foot, especially between the toes, as much as possible. On two occasions involving damage to webbing I've had two different vets tell me not to use products that keep the area between the toes moist. One gave me a powdered anti-b & the other suggested the above. Each dog & situation is different so I'm not trying to say what you are doing is wrong. Just sharing what was suggested for our situations.

Also, webbing seems to heal best if exercise is restricted. Leash walking for weeks was the only way I got my girl's webbing to heal. (The other webbing incident was a Lab with a small skin nick.) It was only partially split initially. Someone else decided that since V was limping so badly it was safe to have her off leash since clearly she couldn't run. V saw a bunny & took off resulting in the webbing splitting the rest of the way.

If you suspect the webbing is split the epsom salt soaks are a great idea. If infections seems possible you can add enough Betadine (or generic 10% povidone idodine) to turn the water the color of tea & then add in the epsom salt. (Because for some reason the epsom salt starts to remove the color from the iodine.) After that try to dry the foot, especially between the toes, as much as possible. On two occasions involving damage to webbing I've had two different vets tell me not to use products that keep the area between the toes moist. One gave me a powdered anti-b & the other suggested the above. Each dog & situation is different so I'm not trying to say what you are doing is wrong. Just sharing what was suggested for our situations.

Also, webbing seems to heal best if exercise is restricted. Leash walking for weeks was the only way I got my girl's webbing to heal. (The other webbing incident was a Lab with a small skin nick.) It was only partially split initially. Someone else decided that since V was limping so badly it was safe to have her off leash since clearly she couldn't run. V saw a bunny & took off resulting in the webbing splitting the rest of the way.

I can try leaving off the goop and will get the betadine. It looks like she's had this for a while, so I'm not rushing to the vet. I think the webbing is pretty much gone, and I need to get the sides of the toes to heal where she'd been licking them. She's good about a sock, and I should probably get some of those plastic booties. So I get to have two frustrated dogs with pent-up energy. Joy. :blink:

Yes, my girl's webbing split all the way & I just let it heal like that with no webbing between those toes. Similar to what you've suggested, a cotton toddler sock was my solution & used a PAWZ boot for potty trips. We did short walks but no serious exercise for a while. Oh, the joys (NOT) of leash walking restrictions. BTDT too many times.

ETA: For the split webbing I did a phone consult to make sure I was handling it OK but no vet visit. Stitching it wasn't recommended & it didn't get infected so no vet needed.

Edited by kudzu

Summit stepped on a stick doing zoomies with his previous owners. It is noted in his medical records that they sent me. He has split webbing there. No idea what the owners did for him though (i.e. leash walks for how long, at home treatment), so this post is really not helpful. :blush

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!