Treats

Guest Bikeman

Mine get small cookies when they go in their crates at night just before bed. They usually get raw meaty bones once every week or every two weeks.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:lol :lol I am the wrong one to ask!

- going potty

- looking cute

- not begging while we eat

- any other exceptionally well behaved decision they make

- sitting/targeting (if your Rainy, just looking cute) Rainy is not put on this earth to do tricks :rolleyes:

- to clean teeth

- we have 'special treats' that are for only after ear cleaning, baths, nails, etc

- because the kid wants to feed them

- to get Sunshine to some near company

- did I mention for being cute?

- jumping through a hula hoop and any other training we are working on

- If Sunshine is in a scary situation sometimes play easter egg hunt helps her. just toss a handful of something all over the ground B)

:blush We treat a lot over here! They also get table scraps and fast food when we are out and about

Edited by JAJ2010

------

Jessica

Guest BlueCrab

When do we not give treats?! :lol

Ours love fruits and veggies, so whenever we're making salad or carving up fruit we have an audience. Trixie gets the lettuce stumps, asparagus stumps, green beans, just about anything in the fruit or vegetable family she'll eat. Leyland (non-grey) is a bit more picky, but if he doesn't want it, then Trixie will clean it up.

They don't get people food other than fruits and veggies (they do get Canidae dry for meals), but they also get good quality biscuits or dried sweet potato treats. They always have to do *something* to get a treat, whether it's a simple lay-down or gimme-paw. We seldom give a treat without asking for something small in return.

And they always get bickies when we leave. Everyone has to "go crate" which for Trixie means she goes and lays in her open crate; for Leyland he has to go lay on his bed. Once the command has been given and everyone's in their place we spend a few moments closing things up, giving the cats crunchies, turning on the radio, then we give the dogs their bickies.

Guest Wasserbuffel

The only times I'm absolutely sure to give Jayne a treat is when she goes into her crate before I leave for the day and when I train with her. She also had a bullystick available to chew on at all times, I give a new one whenever the old one is gone.

Beyond that she'll get treats whenever we feel like giving them to her. Most often we're actually just giving her a few pieces of kibble, but I also have some soft training treats and jerky treats for her too.

Guest BrianRke

When they come in after a potty break in the back yard, when we go to bed, when I need them to come in the kitchen, to distract them from something else, or when they are barking for food and its not time to eat yet (yes I know this is rewarding bad behavior :) )

Guest KennelMom

After getting their nails done (you should see the line of dogs waiting for their turn when the dremel comes out). During training times, as I use reward/clicker-based training techniques. If they do something that really deserves it...that's pretty much it. Treats have meaning here and aren't just given out willy-nilly. It's really helpful when you have this many dogs for rewards to be powerful and treats are a very powerful reward for our crew.

Ours get a generous handful of tiny treats, mainly during our daily dog training/playtime. Those treats are partly rewards for doing something they've been asked and partly game-oriented ("find the treat"). They might get a "just because" treat if grammy is chopping fruits or vegetables -- small sliver of whatever she's chopping up that is safe for dogs.

Currently we don't do serious teeth-cleaning/time-occupying/special occasion chews. In the past, how often I gave those depended on what they were; something like a bully stick, maybe once a week. Small dried tripe stick or pig ear, couple times a week.

Keep in mind that if you give bones, they should be raw, not cooked. Also keep in mind that you'll want to separate / closely supervise if you have multiple dogs getting high value treats.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Some days close to half of Summit's diet is treats. I do a lot of training with him so he gets a tonne of treats during those sessions. Any time I take him to greyhound runs or play dates with non-greyhound pals I always have a pouch full of treats to give him for recall practice. I always carry treats on walks so we can work on things outside of the home, especially ignoring other dogs. Any time there's a loud noise or something else that potentially startles him briefly I give a treat.

Big treats like bones and bully sticks tend to be on a "just because" basis a few times a week, but I always ask him to go to his bed and lay down before I hand it over.

Every night he gets his teeth brushed and his eye drops put in, then he gets a dehydrated duck or chicken foot.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

- going potty

- looking cute

- sitting/targeting (if your Rainy, just looking cute) Rainy is not put on this earth to do tricks :rolleyes:

- to clean teeth

- we have 'special treats' that are for only after ear cleaning, baths, nails, etc

- If Sunshine is in a scary situation sometimes play easter egg hunt helps her. just toss a handful of something all over the ground B)

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Loved this :lol

Mine get half a tiny treat when I put their muzzles on and leave for work, a bigger cookie at lunchtime to keep them going until dinner (they get it while I eat my lunch), and a bigger cookie just before bed. I also sometimes give them a treat if they are asked to do something and they comply, and I definitely treat them right away if we're trying new games/commands and they "get it". Sagan in particular redefined the expression "food motivated" (read: desperate :lol), and he is very receptive to new games and picks things up very quickly if food is involved (or if he suspects that food may be involved :lol:)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Wasserbuffel
Sagan in particular redefined the expression "food motivated" (read: desperate :lol), and he is very receptive to new games and picks things up very quickly if food is involved (or if he suspects that food may be involved :lol:)

I often say that Jayne would learn algebra for a single bite of kibble, she's that food motivated.

Beth gets a biscuit or two or some other treat around midday as a snack. Sometimes I give her a dried sweet potato chew at another time (like late afternoon or after dinner) if she seems restless. She gets higher-values training treats when we're training. She mugs me for the bits of kibble I keep in my pocket while we're out on walks. :rolleyes:

I also sometimes use treats to bribe her to get up when it's time for a walk! She's that lazy, though she has plenty of energy once outside. As part of this routine she gets a spoonful of cottage cheese in her bowl first thing when she gets up every morning, and a couple of spoonfuls of plain yogurt in her bowl before our "last call" outing at night.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Wasserbuffel
I also sometimes use treats to bribe her to get up when it's time for a walk!

Yeah, we bribe too. Not to get her to go for a walk, just saying anything that ends with a hard K sound gets us attacked. We usually bribe her to get off the couch when we want her spot.

Guest greytgrandma

- going potty

- looking cute

- to clean teeth

:blush We treat a lot over here! They also get table scraps and fast food when we are out and about

:nod same here :D