What Am I Going To Do With Her?

Guest hannahmom

Guest hannahmom

For anyone who doesn't know, my Hannah is a real bitch - always has been. Stubborn, bossy with other dogs, so un-cat safe it fails to be amusing, food aggressive and blind. She rule the doggie roost, and always has. The boys don't care, and it has never really been an issue. She is cuddly and affectionate with people - all people - always.

Lately though, she has been getting downright nasty with the other dogs. She bit Ripley quite badly in the face a few weeks ago. He was just looking at her food, and I was, quite literally, standing between them playing guardian. She did an end run around me, and bit his eye, requiring weeks of medical treatment. Today, she and Beaker were walking side by side, and when he sniffed the same spot she was interested in, she went for him. He has a tiny nose boo boo, but there was nothing to set her off.

Hannah is 11, and has been blind for many years. She had a complete medical checkup in April, and the vet said she was in good shape. She has had some back issues which make stairs challenging, but she does them every day.

What on earth is going through her little puppy mind? I am taking her back to the vet tomorrow to see if there is anything the vet can see that might be making her less even tempered than usual. If it is not medical and we deem it to be behavioral, I am at a loss as to what to do. I NEVER leave food around when they are home alone - never have; but if her aggression is becoming more generalized, I may have to segregate her when DH and I are not around. I am worried that this may make things worse as she tries to reassert dominance when they are together. It also doesn't seem like much of a life for her.

I will wait, hoping it is a medical issue that we can fix, but I am open to suggestions on how to keep all of my dogs safe and happy.

Any suggestions??

Tena

What a time to hope for a medical problem, eh? :(

Meanwhile -- and if there is no medical problem -- muzzles are probably your friends. Those and maybe a sharp eye for what behaviors she is finding irritating. If she isn't hearing as well as she was, things that the other dogs do could be startling or frightening to her. It might in some measure be possible to teach her to look to you (you, who have hot dog slivers or cheddar cheese) at those times rather than crabbing at them.

Sending scritchies and hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with a vet visit. I hope there is something that could easily be treated that would cause her to act like this.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I was thinking it might be her hearing also.

I would muzzle them all because she can't protect herself if one of the boys fight back during one of her attacks. It's not punishing the boys per sey, it's safety equipment for all.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Depends on the medical check up of course. Check her thyroid too. Make sure he checks her eye pressure.

In the mean time segregate while you are not there, and muzzle when walking. I'd segregate food stations also & gate her away from the crowd during meal times.

Don't you wish they could talk?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Yeah, gotta muzzle all 3. Boys could still take offense to her snarking at them, and really bad things could happen if they aren't all muzzled. A person feels less guilty about muzzles if she smears a little peanutbutter inside :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest twogreytkids

Has she been tested for tick disease?

One of our adopters had a male who became aggressive towards her female in his later years. Turns out he tested positive for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. After he was treated, all of his aggression disappeared.

Marcy

Tena, do you feed her in the same area as the boys? If so, I might move her food into a different area and have her eat alone (keep the boys away). Hearing was also my first thought and I wonder if she's being startled. I sure hope you find the root cause and it's something easily treatable. Think of the muzzles as a safey precaution for the boys, not punishment. Good Luck. Keep us posted please; it will be interesting to find out if there is a specific cause for the escalation in bitchiness.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest KennelMom

As the owner of a senior (10 y/o) blind dog, also named Hanna, I can sympathize. Our Hanna has never been snarly with other dogs, but she has had some increased anxiety from time to time as she's aged. She is also a tad demanding when she wants something, probably due to us overcompensating for her blindness. If she wants a bed, she'll stand there and bark till she gets it (or we get it for her). I think checking her bloodwork, thyroid (our girl is also hypothyroid), eye pressure and hearing are good suggestions.

If she checks out medically, I'd try some valium...some dogs have a flee response to anxiety, some have a snap response. Our Hanna tends to run away. It might be hard to figure out if she's just being a b*tch or if she's doing the "best defense is a good offense" thing b/c she's blind. We usually crate our Hanna at night and sometimes if we aren't home, it all depends on her, the pack, where we're going, etc...she seems to prefer the crate at night anyway and usually runs in after last turnout to make sure she gets in there first. I will not muzzle her with the other dogs - since she's blind she's already at a disadvantage. But, I know her personality and if she ever bit a dog it would have been for a very good reason. Sounds like a different scenario with your Hannah and you need to protect your other dogs from her, regardless of what her motivations are for the snapping. If it is anxiety related, valium (or whatever your vet prefers) might help. I like valium b/c I can give it as needed. Hanna will go through periods where she needs it for a couple weeks, then settle back in to a normal routine and she won't need it anymore.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest hannahmom

They are fed separately - Ripley only got near her because DH opened the baby gate and R wanted to be with the Momma.

I have accepted the fact that Boo and food can never be around other dogs. My worry is that the aggressive behaviour seems to becoming more generalized.

Just in case this twigs something for someone, Beaker got me up at 2 to go potty, and since Hannah is usually a 4 AM girl, I decided to wake her and empty them all at once. I could NOT get her to respond - I physically shook her and moved her body,but, even though her eyes were open, she was non responsive - to the point where I did the "check if she is breathing" thing.

Does this mean anything to anyone, and do you think it could be related??

We g to the betteranarian in about 20 minutes.

Might be related but might just be "I don't have to pee and I don't want to move right now." Greyhounds are remarkably good at that.

Hoping the betteranarian can shed some light on things.

Hugs meanwhile.

Guest hannahmom

So, $385.00 later we know very little. Dr Penny, who has known Hannah since she came to us 8 years ago agrees that she is not herself. We have taken a gazillion tubes of blood ( says Hannah, Momma says 3) and it is getting shipped out for thyroid testing tomorrow. Penny will review the prelim results tomorrow, and we will go from there.

Miss 'Tude is feeling sorry for herself, but hopefully she will forgive the Momma when we fix her up better than new.

Poor little monkey.