Weird Illness. Any Insights?

Guest Javitale

Guest Javitale

Hi again all. I am writing to see if anyone can help decipher a problem with our 11 year old greyhound, Buster. He has been in great health until about 3.5 weeks ago when he started to look listless and was panting a little. Just not himself. I took him over to the vet the next morning. Buster has had some kind of mass on his elbow for about 3 years and we have been told it is okay unless it starts to bother him. It's never been aspirated though. I thought it had increased a little in size too, so I thought I'd have the vet check that too.

Anyway. She drew some labs which were all normal except for a low platelet count... I think 39. His temp was 104.3. His lyme and anaplasmosis was positive, so she ordered a course of doxy 300 daily. At first Buster started to get better. A little peppier and more like himself. About 10 days into the course of doxy he seemed to be listless again, and I thought his urine looked kind of dark. I was worried about his liver, so I held the dose on the Friday and Saturday and took him to the vet again on Saturday. It was then 2 weeks to the day after his first vet visit. She did labs again, and his platelet count was better at 112. His liver function tests were horrible though. Alk phos >2000. ALT/AST both elevated and Total Bili 1.8. White count was normal. Hematocrit was about 60. The vet doesn't really know what to make of his condition. Are his livers out of whack now due to the Doxy? They were normal two weeks prior. She wants him to stay off the doxy just in case. Is the elbow mass malignant and this is a liver mets? I thought not, since his liver tests rose so abruptly.

So today is Monday and he has been basically lying in his bed for days. He doesn't pant. He has no vomiting or diarrhea. He seems to be very comfortable. He will drink water if I put it in front of him, and he will eat boiled chicken most of the time if I feed it to him. He had lost 2.5 pounds between vet visits, and he's looking skinnier to me now. He was down to 63 pounds at his last vet visit. A healthy weight for him is usually 68 or 69 pounds. He hasn't been ultrasounded, and I'm not sure if I want to drag him off to the vet again, which is really really tough on him in this condition. If it is a mets, I'm sure the only treatment for him at this point would be comfort measures. I really feel like it's not though, and that it still could be a reaction to the doxy.

Does anyone have any similar experiences or insight into this? Thanks for reading... Joyce

Time for more diagnostic tests--ie images (radiographs, ultrasound). I would definetly get him started on denamarin ASAP! May I ask why he had a known mass for 3 years without investigating it further- did you veterinarian feel it may be a lipoma??

Did your vet switch the antibiotic to a more liver friendly medication-- like amoxicillin??

Edited by tbhounds

Guest Javitale

I think you are right, he really needs an ultrasound. No, two separate vet hospitals thought it was a benign thing, such as a lipoma. I had a St. Bernard years ago who had the exact same kind of thing, and we were told the same thing about that, so I believed it was nothing to worry about. But yes, now I am concerned that maybe it is related to his current illness. The vet did not give him another antibiotic. She is going to be calling another office for advice she says, so I will be talking to her again tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help.

We put our GH on SAM-e while he was taking doxy and for some weeks afterward. His liver numbers got a little wonky but went back to normal. Hope at least the liver problem proves to be that easy for you.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I think you are right, he really needs an ultrasound. No, two separate vet hospitals thought it was a benign thing, such as a lipoma. I had a St. Bernard years ago who had the exact same kind of thing, and we were told the same thing about that, so I believed it was nothing to worry about. But yes, now I am concerned that maybe it is related to his current illness. The vet did not give him another antibiotic. She is going to be calling another office for advice she says, so I will be talking to her again tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help.

Before you get involved with further tests I would definetly get your pup started on the denamarin or as mentioned above SamE and please have your vet check out the possible use of another antibiotic such as amoxicillin- liver friendly and while not the the first med you grab for Lyme it's appropriate for Lyme disease too.

I' would have to assume the mass is an innocent bystander.

Repeat your blood test in a few weeks and then if the liver values haven't improved then schedule your images.

Keep us posted!

If after doing what the others have suggested you're no further forward, I have to say (since I've now lost three dogs after a last-minute dx of something horrible, two of them preventable if we'd known) I would recommend you get a second opinion, perhaps from a vet school.

At eleven, and losing weight fast, you don't want to be 'waiting and seeing' for too long, in my opinion.

Good luck!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest mbfilby

If after doing what the others have suggested you're no further forward, I have to say (since I've now lost three dogs after a last-minute dx of something horrible, two of them preventable if we'd known) I would recommend you get a second opinion, perhaps from a vet school.

At eleven, and losing weight fast, you don't want to be 'waiting and seeing' for too long, in my opinion.

Good luck!

I agree. I would get an ultrasound.

You've gotten excellent advice so far. Different anti-b like amoxicillan or Clavamox, aspirate the mass & send to pathology, ultrasound, & if vet continues to seem uncertain ask for a referral to internal med vet.

When my girl was on doxy my vet also had me give her Country Life Liver Support. http://www.iherb.com/Country-Life-BioChem-Liver-Support-Factors-100-Tablets/1670?at=0 (It's now labeled BioChem.) Have now heard from multiple folks who have used this to good effect. This combined with the Denosyl or other good quality SamE supplement can be a huge help. If you do not want to do this then I would definitely go with Denamarin rather than just SamE alone. Denamarin is a combination of SamE & silybin, from milk thistle. This combe is far superior than one or the other alone.

BTW, did the vet think the mass on the elbow is a hygroma? Is that why they never tested it?

Guest Javitale

I will inquire about a different antibiotic. I didn't even ask about that because I was worried about his liver tests. Also I will look around for the Denamarin today. My vet doesn't have that, but I will check with other local vet hospitals. He looks the same this morning. He got up and peed about 3 am, and has been lying down since. He drank a lot of water, but wouldn't take his chicken or the egg that I made him. So, I'll leave that for him and see if he'll eat it. Thanks again.

Guest Javitale

Thank you all for your help. Buster is much worse today. He's peeing his bed and can't really stand. He won't eat or drink. I called the vet and I am bringing him over there later today. But it really looks grave. Thank you all so much though. We have had Buster for almost nine years. We have four other greyhounds too. When we adopted Buster they thought he was unadoptable because he was terrified of everything and would just hide and tremble. But over the years he has become the nicest funniest greyhound ever... tons of personality and just a dear dear boy. Thank you all for your kind help though. Joyce

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear he's worse. Prayers going with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:candle :candle :candle :candle :candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Javitale

Hi greyhound friends... I am sorry to report bad news about Buster. I brought him to the vet last night. He couldn't stand, eat, or hold his urine any more. He could only lift his head for a few seconds at a time. He still seemed comfortable though. The vet recommended that we let him go, and I agreed. So last night our dear little Buster went to the bridge. We never did find out what caused such a rapid and severe decline like that. The vet feels that it must have been some aggressive cancer. He was such a good boy and I'm sorry to report this news. Thanks again everyone.. Joyce

I'm so sorry for your loss, Joyce.

Run with the wind, Buster.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mbfilby

I'm so sorry about Buster. :(

His illness sounded just like what our Mickey went through which is why I suggested an ultrasound. Mickey had hermangiosarcoma.

Run free Buster.