Tripp's First Week

Guest stacy6344

Guest stacy6344

Well we brought Tripp home a week ago today. I would say all in all it's been pretty successful.

He sleeps by the bed pretty much all night and when he has had to go out he has woken me up. He doesn't pay any attention to the kitties outside (thank GOD!) and he is good with my little kidz.

My only issue is the crate. I know a lot of you are against crating. Tripp is 18 months old and he still has a lot of puppy in him. I'm not comfortable leaving him out in my studio apartment all day long. And there are no "walls" that I could use a gate on. So the crate is his safest option for him and my peace of mind. But really it's not peace of mind because I worry about him ALL day! He goes in the crate fine for me. No problem. My dad comes to let him out at noon. And then he doesn't want to go back in the crate for my dad. And by the time I get home he has shredded his blankets and yesterday a stuffie. And next week my dad and stepmom will be out of town for the week. Which means he will be up for the work day...9 hours. :( I live out in the boonies. Seriously. WAY out. My closest neighbor is 3 miles away. I don't have anyone close that I know that could come and walk him. I called my vet and the kennel I use when boarding and neither of them knew of any dog walkers local. I have put stuffed Kongs in the crate (various mixtures) and other safe chew toys. He shows NO interest in any of them. I have upped our walk in the am to 30-45 minutes and in the evening.

I love this boy. He is everything I could ask for. But I feel guilty for working all day and leaving him. Especially since I know he doesn't like the crate. I did order a DAP diffuser and it came today...maybe that will help. He's not peeing or pooping in the crate or doing anything to harm himself to get out. I know it's only been a week. So he's still adjusting.

Please don't be to hard on me about crating. I just am not comfortable leaving him with run of the apartment until he's been here a little longer. But any and all advice is welcome!

Guest FijiHound

Maybe a test run leaving him the run of the house for 15-20mins??? Hide outside somewhere with a book and hope when you come back in everything is just as you left it :blink: Then extend the time if nothing drastic happens...just a thought!

Nugget gets full run outside with my other two when there is no one at home (which is probably once a week - if that!) I have locked her inside by herself for half a day when she decided she'd rather stay in. Left her on her bed - got home and she's still on her bed :lol. Best thing I can think of is trying leaving Tripp in the house free rein for a while and see how that small amount of time goes???

My boys aren't crated, but they are muzzled. If you are concerned about him getting into stuff...and eating/chewing things he shouldn't, the muzzle isn't a bad option. Just make sure there is NO poopguard - so if he vomits or something, he doesn't choke.

Don't feel guilty about working all day. Many of our hounds on this site are left for several hours....we have to earn their bikkie money after all!!! :rolleyes:

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

My hound is five, I've had her for over three years, and I still crate her when I go out. She has a tendency to chew stuff, and seems much calmer when she's crated, and runs right in there when she knows it's time. She's happy there (happier than she'd be wearing a muzzle), I feel she's safer, and my cats are safer. I feel like people here tend to leap to "no crate" as the solution to everything, and while I'm no expert I wonder if it really is. Plus a crate makes life much easier when you are visiting in new places, if your hound has to stay at the vet, or if he is injured and needs to be on crate rest. I hate how it takes up most of my TV room, but I love the crate and have no real intention of giving it up. I do feel fortunate that I can arrange my schedule or get a pet-sitter so she doesn't have to be in for more than five hours at a stretch.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest stacy6344

My hound is five, I've had her for over three years, and I still crate her when I go out. She has a tendency to chew stuff, and seems much calmer when she's crated, and runs right in there when she knows it's time. She's happy there (happier than she'd be wearing a muzzle), I feel she's safer, and my cats are safer. I feel like people here tend to leap to "no crate" as the solution to everything, and while I'm no expert I wonder if it really is. Plus a crate makes life much easier when you are visiting in new places, if your hound has to stay at the vet, or if he is injured and needs to be on crate rest. I hate how it takes up most of my TV room, but I love the crate and have no real intention of giving it up. I do feel fortunate that I can arrange my schedule or get a pet-sitter so she doesn't have to be in for more than five hours at a stretch.

I just don't feel comfortable leaving him out. And the whole time he's muzzled outside he tries to get it off..he doesn't like it either. I've do the "make the crate fun" thing. I give him treats in there and his food, but he won't eat in there. He will go in, but I think he works himself up the whole time he's in there. And I don't have anyone that could come and let him out...if my parents aren't here. So that means 9 hours in the crate...no break. I'm afraid he'll hurt himself or something...:( I wish he was happy there! My IG loves his crate. No problem. Tripp...not so much. I'm just not sure what to do...

Yeah, he is awfully young to be contained for that long. I would not crate Beth for nine hours without a break even now. Could you put an ad in the paper or something about looking for someone to do regular midday breaks for a set fee -- maybe there's a local retiree or somebody who likes dogs and would appreciate the extra income? Or could even do daytime dog-sitting?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Couldn't you at least try leaving him out of the crate for a while as others have suggested and see how he does - he might be absolutely fine. Leaving a dog alone in a crate for 9 hours is not something my conscience would allow (I do not use crates at all), and you are clearly unhappy about it too. Could you take some time off work when your parents are away, or just work mornings for that week?

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest stacy6344

Well I left him last night for about an hour with his muzzle on and went next door to my dad's. Came back, he had the muzzle off, pooped in the floor and tore up a blanket. That was in one hour. I can't imagine leaving him all day.

Doggie daycare or day boarding? Even if it means a long drive for you to get there & back it might work better than leaving him at home. I had a dog who couldn't be left for long hours due to a medical condition. He absolutely had to go out to potty every few hours. If BF was out of town it worked out cheaper to do daycare or day boarding than to have the critter sitter come in multiple times a day. (8.5 hr wk day + 2.5-3 hr commute) When daycare was not workable I checked around to multiple boarding facilities & found one arrangement I was satisfied with. I paid the standard boarding fee but just dropped my dog off in the AM when they opened & picked him up again before closing.

Guest stacy6344

Ok...what about this idea...

I can take him to daycare Mon-Weds when my dad is at work. That way he can get exercise during the day and still get crate training on Thurs/Fri when my dad is home and can let him out at noon. Then we will start obedience school and can get a little experience under his belt. How does that sound.

That sounds like a reasonable solution. I would also have your dad work on the "make the crate fun" part. I'm not entirely against crates, but do agree that 9 hours is a long time to go without a potty break. You say, if I am not mistaken, that you have an outside exercise pen. Is there some way of making access to that (thinking doggie door), so that you could ex-pen off an area by the access? That way the dog would be confined, but to a larger area with outdoor access.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest stacy6344

We are going with doggy daycare for now. I called today. And she has another Grey that comes three days a week! We start training classes next weekend! I feel much better! And he had his first play date today!! Had a ball!!!

Guest stacy6344

Sounds like you are getting a good plan together. May need to be flexed depending on his reaction to the other dogs but you're getting things sorted out.

Yea! for the play date. That's wonderful.

She said he can either go out to play by himself or with another dog. So we'll just see how he does.

He had so much fun today!!! He ran and ran and played. It was awesome! He's slept since we got home!

Guest gomiesmom

Our little girl (5, had her home for just under 4 years), Lilly has just begun to be NOT crated, within the last 6 mos. She was was too mischevious. She was a 1 y/o puppy when we got her and was just very very "busy", as the adoption group director called her ( Busy) - it fits.

So she's been out of the crate w/ our 6 y/o male, and they do fine, although they are in the large master bedroom w/ the door shut. Gomer would be fine w/ the run of the house, but not Lilly. In fact, I had to take Goms to the vet for his annual yesterday, and left Lilly home & she pee'd right on the floor. I knew by her wailing when I took Goms, she was gonna destroy the bedroom or something. No destruction, but she pee'd a huge spot on the carpet.

(Before Greyhounds) I used to dislike crates , really for no good reason, but now I feel differently. NO, they should not be stuck in their crate ALL & all night, but if the hound needs it & they do not have an aversion to it... Mine actually liked it & the training it provided was great. At one point, i was giving Kongs filled w/ frozen Peanut Butter to get in crate; all I had to do was put one hand on the freezer door and they both went for the crates. I know it was for the PB, but I tried to make positive, with beds, blanket & some toys in there. They got sprung as soon as I got home & they never slept in there.