An Unhappy Hound

Guest hplove45

Greyhounds are definitely social beings. They are more truly dogs than any other dogs. They are raised with their mamas and aunties and littlermates and are never "only" dogs 'til they go into adoptive homes. That being said, most do fine by themselves. I think the playdates in fenced areas and carefully supervised dog parks will do the trick.

Regarding the whining--some dogs like to talk. My Daisy (Positive Delta) is a whiner. In Daisy's case, she is very fond of humans; any humans, I don't even get near the top of her list. She cries at nearly every stop light when she sees people in the next vehicle. "Heey youuu, come pet me." Daisy's littermate, MorganDonor (don't ask me how the owner came up with that name) whined the _entire trip_ when the family moved from Cape Cod to Michigan. [i inserted racing names so you can look up genealogy lines of your dogs and mine on Greyhound-data.com.]

You will learn what the whines mean. They may sound different or be paired with different behaviors so you'll know. Or, just go through the list and see what makes Neville happy. Sometimes I just go down the list--potty, water, food, cookie til Daisy calms down.

If whining occurs while you're gone you could practice alone training, where you increase the time spent apart gradually.

If Neville wasn't eating poo outside before, it may just be "poopsicle" season puke.gif where frozen poo seems like the very best thing in the world. My bridge girl Lucky was a poopsicle girl, so she was turned out into the yard with a muzzle. Daisy's tastes lean toward fledgling birds in the Spring, so she wears a muzzle too. You might also consider changing foods, as dogs who eat grass and stools are sometime having problems with their food.

Good luck with Neville. I'm sure he'll settle in fine. Please keep us posted,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

A bedtime snack may stave off the early morning whining and the grass and poop eating. Both of which can cause him to throw up.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest hplove45

Sorry to have kept yall out of the loop. Neville went in for his dental on Tuesday and came out with flying colors. His blood work was normal, and when I asked the vet why he would be whining, the vet said that it was probably just for attention and I should ignore him. That's what I usually do and sometimes he stops, sometimes he doesn't. On Tuesday night, Neville threw up and there was a suspicious looking piece of black plastic in the vomit. I'm assuming that he found something in the yard, ate it, and had an upset stomach. Since then it kind of seems like a crapshoot as to if he'll wake me up or not. He hasn't woken me up in the middle of the night since the crate incident, but this morning he decided to wake me up at 5:30. Usually I don't get up until 7, and he's still in bed when I get up. Also, I thought it was kind of strange because normally after I first let him out in the morning, he comes back in and goes right back to bed. This morning he was following me around and seemed kind of anxious. I don't really know what triggers these random early morning wake-ups and anxiety since our evening schedule (walks, feeding, potty) are pretty regular, but hopefully he will grow out of it!

Glad he made it through his dental OK.

Is it possible that something goes on in your neighborhood on certain days that gets him up and nervous?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

That's twice a week more often than my dog socializes.

Some dogs are just whiners. My father's late dog, Davy, whined all the time. Drove me out of my mind!

Please try to remember he's not a person, and try not to ascribe how you might feel about a situation to him. Sounds to me a little like that's what you're doing.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think you're worrying too much and he may be picking up on it. Treasure whines a lot sometimes. It's just her way of communicating.

Did you put a bed inside your room for him to sleep on at night? Also, the pjs are a great suggestion.

Phoenix used to eat poop. It was disgusting. You can put a muzzle with a poop guard on him when you let him out to keep him from snacking.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.