Leg Injury When Jumping

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

History of event:

1) Tuesday morning 4am wife gets up to go to work. I invite my big boy into bed with me. He is standing at the side of the bed hesitating to jump up. I encourage him to jump up. He does, as he jumps up, he screams and stumbles onto the bed. He stands on the bed holding his left rear leg up not putting it down. I manipulate the leg and he screams every time I dorsiflex or caniflex his lower extremity.

2) I was going to give him the day to recover and take him to the vet at the end of Tuesday, but after laying in bed with him for 2 hours listening to him pant and whine, I decided a visit to the vet as soon as they opened was in order.

3) Vet visit, well, the first visit went terrible as my normal vet's x-ray machine broke when they were trying to x-ray Bart. 2nd vet (ER center) x-rays taken of lower leg, upper leg & pelvis. The ER facility that we go to is one of a few places in Chicago that take our group's emergencies so they are very greyhound savvy. Bart was seen by the er vet, as well as an orthopedic surgeon. His x-rays were observed by those two dr's as well as a radiologist. They wanted to be sure there was no evidence of any bone density changes. They saw none. They informed me that they feel he has soft tissue injuries around his "ankle" for lack of a better term, as well as he may have pulled his groin muscle.

4) 50mg of Rimidyl and I cant remember the dose of Tramadol. I called my regular vet Thursday because Bart's pain obviously came back around 5 hours after dosing, my reg vet said the doses were both on the low side and to up the Rymidil to 75mg (Bart is 82.2 lbs- raced 80). I also have been icing his leg down for 2-3 hours each night.

For racing trainers/vets/others with experience in this area:

His entire leg is swollen and very hot to the touch. Even his paw is a bit swollen. Now if he has a soft tissue injury, would the entire leg swell up? The er vet as well as my regular vet have a small concern that he may have torn a ligament or tendon, but not sure without an MRI. It is now Friday am, 3rd day since the injury and even with pain medication Bart still bears NO weight on the leg at all, and will still scream in pain if you move his leg (even on pain med).

1) Is the swelling an indication of something other than soft tissue injury?

2) How long should the swelling be there before it goes down?

3) How long should it be before he starts to use the leg again, assuming its not a blown ligament/tendon?

4) Other than the medication/icing, what else can I do to help out my boy?

5) Ever hear of a hound simply jumping up onto a bed and blowing out a ligament/tendon?

Thanks for any input.

Chad

Holy peanuts. {{{{{{{{{{Bart}}}}}}}}}}

Is there bruising anywhere that you can see?

Still no weight bearing would make me inclined to go for the MRI but there are peeps here with lots more experience of tendon / ligament injuries. Might PM onrushpam if she doesn't weigh in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I don't notice any bruising. He did have some bruising on his good leg (which was the shattered hock leg) after he had x-rays at the vet. I chalked it up to them moving him for the x-rays. Poor Bart has no ability to go up stairs with his bum leg, so I have to carry him. Jen is having problems lifting him, so it is up to me to take him out every time. At least he has an iron constitution and is ok with only going out 3 times a day...

:(

I wish we weren't so far off. We do have stairs as you know but can manage leash walks with only 1-2 steps down.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Holy peanuts. {{{{{{{{{{Bart}}}}}}}}}}

Is there bruising anywhere that you can see?

Still no weight bearing would make me inclined to go for the MRI but there are peeps here with lots more experience of tendon / ligament injuries. Might PM onrushpam if she doesn't weigh in.

or tbhounds

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Energy11

I am sorry your Bart is going through this!

I am thinking a possible infection, due to the swelling and heat in the leg. Maybe he had a small puncture wound or cut that was overlooked, and became infecated? Just a thought. Keflex is usually the antibiotic of choice for skin wounds. Might want the vet to see this leg again, as it has changed significantly since he was seen.

The other possible cause could be under the skin bleeding/bruising, but you'd probably see this throught the skin.

Sending Bart healing thoughts!

Good Luck and do keep us posted.

Dee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

TBD, didnt think of that. I took Bart back to the vets tonight (she actually stayed late to make sure to see me), took a blood test, slight elevation in two types of white blood cell counts, but otherwise nothing noticable. I have a standing appointment Monday. We were given a round of antibiotics so if we dont see any improvement by Monday, we will be back in the vets office. If there is no improvement, a TBD test will be the next idea. Thanks, anyone else?

Harness might help you & Jen manage him with stairs and in/out of the vehicle. Keeping all fingers crossed!

I don't have experience or advice on this, but wanted to pass along my best wishes for you all!

Hopefully, the antibiotics will be the ticket and he will be doing much better by Monday!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

No suggestions. But sending lots of healing prayers for Bart to be better by Monday. That is a long way off, but with the pain meds, and antibiotics we really wish him improvement!

gallery_14635_3193_11799.jpg

Missing our pups at the Bridge--Amandas Kelsey 03-15-1996 to 05-02-2008; Melissa May 07-17-1998 to 11-23-2009; Emily's Maggie 10-05-1995 to 05-20-2010; Flying Kendra 01-13-2003 to 02-28-2011; Izzy (Smile Please) 06-27-2002 to 03-28-2012: Senator (EF Rob Statesman) 04-30-2000 to 12-30-2013: Secret (Seperate Secrets) 04-10-2003 to 08-03-2014: Tugboat (Thugboat) 06-07-2007 to 07-27-2015; Betsy (Bee Better Now) 12-04-2004 to 07-02-2017: Dottie ( Rooftop Spottie) 08-08-2004 to 05-11-2018:Abby (WW's Dear Abby) 11/2008-08/2020: Tiny (Piccadilly Girl) 08/2007-10/2020:  Tiller (Kelsos Tillerson) 10/30/2018: Heart (Lions Heart) 03/08/2014