Strange New Behaviours

Guest arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

I have four greyhounds 3 males and one female. Arlo is almost 12 years old. Janus and Kingfish are 5. Arlo is a very quiet peaceful dog who keeps to himself and moves away from any commotion that may occur. Today my husband who is retired was working outside putting up decorations and heard barking in the house. When he went in Janus and Kingfish were standing in front of Arlo barking at him. He was lying on a dog bed in the bedroom looking up at them like he was scared but not moving. Of course when hubby yelled at them they stopped but each time he went outside it started again. This is very bizarre and has never happened before. He muzzled all in case they decided to jump on him. Are they sensing something wrong with my old boy?

Edited by arlosmom

I also have 3 males and one female. Zoe (aged 10) is the one that does that. She stands in front of the bed that Dante (age 11) is on and barks in his face. At first, he was cowering before her. She wants him to move. If I catch this, I make her stop and leave the room. He has now gotten tired of it and will growl and bark back. Then, she stops.

I don't know if this is what is happening at your house, but that is what does on here!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

My first thought was is it possible Arlo was having a seizure or something? Was he able to get up ok?

This was my thought also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest arlosmom

My first thought was is it possible Arlo was having a seizure or something? Was he able to get up ok?

Since I was not there when it happened I don't really know but I had thought of something like that. My husband sort of came in yelling and didn't really notice. I will mention this to him in case it happens tomorrow.

Without seeing it all in action I think it is impossible to say. One of the "2 yutes" may have started it & the other joined in. Could be one wanted the bed. Could be an attempt to get him to play. The fact that it repeated a few times is disturbing. Do you have an xpen? If so, maybe you could use it to mark of an Arlo only zone. We did that with an elderly foster, the only little dog in the house, and have also done it for other dogs when injured or ill. We fold an end of the xpen back so the one dog can come & go at will when we are there to supervise & we make sure the other dogs are prohibited from going in. When we are not there we close the pen. For dogs we've had a while we just put it up around their favorite sleeping spot. We usually use a 24" xpen so they could jump it. Yet they do not. It's where they want to be anyway. That safe zone may be a good idea for a little while, like a couple weeks. Whatever dynamic is going on needs to be stopped. Sometimes a little time is all that's required.

Guest BrianRke

Diamond(6) will get in Daytona's(10) face every night and start barking at him. She wants him to play with her, which he sometimes does (Frank never plays). Thats a possiblity, but the barking you described seems more demanding/aggressive than a "play with me" bark.

Kudzu had a good point, it could be that one of them wanted his bed.

It was good that your DH muzzled them. I would just keep an eye on them to make sure it doesnt escalate in to something nasty.

Guest arlosmom

Diamond(6) will get in Daytona's(10) face every night and start barking at him. She wants him to play with her, which he sometimes does (Frank never plays). Thats a possiblity, but the barking you described seems more demanding/aggressive than a "play with me" bark.

Kudzu had a good point, it could be that one of them wanted his bed.

It was good that your DH muzzled them. I would just keep an eye on them to make sure it doesnt escalate in to something nasty.

I think it is Kingfish who is the instigator of the behaviour. He is possessive of certain beds with no rhyme or reason and sometimes lays in his bed and growls if the others make movements. I always correct him and tell him to stop. All were good last night while we were all home and in the house. We'll see what happens today. Muzzles on of course.

It happened again this morning when my DH was outside putting up Christmas lights. He heard the barking. Went inside and the two culprits met him at the door. Arlo was in our bedroom on his bed that sits at the foot of our bed with a strange look on his face. However he is not giving up his position.

Edited by arlosmom

I'd be muzzling everyone until this sorts itself out. Better safe than sorry.

edited to add: opps I just went back and saw that you are muzzling.

Edited by june

• 5 weeks later...
Guest arlosmom

I have four greyhounds 3 males and one female. Arlo is almost 12 years old. Janus and Kingfish are 5. Arlo is a very quiet peaceful dog who keeps to himself and moves away from any commotion that may occur. Today my husband who is retired was working outside putting up decorations and heard barking in the house. When he went in Janus and Kingfish were standing in front of Arlo barking at him. He was lying on a dog bed in the bedroom looking up at them like he was scared but not moving. Of course when hubby yelled at them they stopped but each time he went outside it started again. This is very bizarre and has never happened before. He muzzled all in case they decided to jump on him. Are they sensing something wrong with my old boy?

The strangeness continues. I believe my boys do not like each other any more. I made a mistake during the holidays.(Don't rip me apart folks I know I messed up) We had a large family party. Most of our guests do not understand greyhounds and yes there was a toddler there, he was in his mothers arms all the time he was around the dogs but Janus got very overstimulated by his presence. We had the muzzles off because there was little room for running in the yard because it was set up for oyster roasting. However, ... at the end of the party my DH threw a bean bag at the corn hole game. Janus grabbed it and took off. Kingfish in persuit. Of course when Kingfish caught him a fight insued. There were injuries but not severe. We were lucky. Now the boys are afraid of each other. All are afraid of Kingfish and when he comes into a room it clears out and they go somewhere else.

I am not sure what to do about Kingfish's behaviour. I muzzle him and tell him no when he snarls at the others. I am contemplating the lemon juice squirting. I have had him two years and although he has been a bit strange he has really gotten to be a strange little boy. By the way he is a spook also and terrible afraid of thunder, fire crackers and any kind of sudden loud noise.

I am worried with you. Is there a good (I mean REALLY good) behaviorist you can call in? That and a vet visit for Kingfish are the first things I'd do. This sounds like such a tense situation which could blow up that something like NILIF for all the hounds in the house just won't cut it. At least you are getting warning signs before something major happens, but I hope you can find someone to help you.

Guest arlosmom

I am worried with you. Is there a good (I mean REALLY good) behaviorist you can call in? That and a vet visit for Kingfish are the first things I'd do. This sounds like such a tense situation which could blow up that something like NILIF for all the hounds in the house just won't cut it. At least you are getting warning signs before something major happens, but I hope you can find someone to help you.

He has recently had his wellness physical but he does have some pain issues. A bum rear leg from a racing injury in the tendon and lots of corns that we work on constantly. Could it be a brain thing? There seems to be a lot of jealousy between him and Janus who we have had for a year and a half. They are close in age. Although he did have a fight with Orla last New Years Eve that she started over her guarding the food table. (Parties seem to be the worst). I know of no behaviorists in this area. I am just keeping him muzzled always outside and often at night when these bed issues are occurring.

Muzzling is a right move, but I'm sure you want to solve this. Can your vet or adoption group recommend a behaviorist that can come for a home visit? Is it time to talk with your vet about pain or psych meds for Kingfish? I know you know something is really off between the hounds in your house; I wish I had more answers than questions, but someone who can actually observe your hounds is in a better position to help. I really hope you can find this person and that household safety and peace can be restored.

Guest arlosmom

Muzzling is a right move, but I'm sure you want to solve this. Can your vet or adoption group recommend a behaviorist that can come for a home visit? Is it time to talk with your vet about pain or psych meds for Kingfish? I know you know something is really off between the hounds in your house; I wish I had more answers than questions, but someone who can actually observe your hounds is in a better position to help. I really hope you can find this person and that household safety and peace can be restored.

Thanks, Kingfish used to be on fluoxitine because he is an obsessive licker. This drug really helped Arlo my 12 year old for this same issue. However my vet had read some articles about it causing aggression in some dogs and recommended taking him off of it which we did after he started rearing up at the others while he was sleeping. He seems to have gotten worse since taking him off it. I eased him off of this drug a while back. He has prescribed something called anxitane but we have only used it for thunderstorm anxiety which he has severely. The whole thing is a mystery.

Edited by arlosmom

I don't think it's a brain thing with Kingfish but more of a youthful dominance over the other boys. When Roy was putting up the decorations outside, perhaps there was some banging that would have startled Kingfish? I don't know about the other dogs being afraid of him. I'm guessing with each spat and with the party incident that any human yelling to control them might have them confused.

Regarding Kingfish's bed aggression, other GT dogs have had similar issues. Gracie had severe sleep aggression and bed space aggression but eventually grew out of it.

I think Diane at DogTrain will be the closest thing to a behaviorist near you. Maybe she could come over and watch the dogs interact?

Below is the blurb about Anxitane from the Virbac site. It reminds me of all those drugs advertised on TV where the side effect warnings sound worse than the original problem. Even though I haven't been around Kingfish much, I don't think he has true severe aggression. Nor do I see him as a true spook since he's not shy, but is a boy who hates storms and sudden loud noises. Did the wellness panel done include the full thyroid testing or just T-4?

• Pure and neurologically active L-Theanine amino acid helps keep anxious or nervous cats and dogs calm, relaxed, and well-behaved.
  • Clinically proven as a first-line treatment option to reduce clinical signs associated with fear and anxiety. Supported by extensive research and documentation.1
  • Significantly reduces stress-related disruptive behaviors that can interfere with the human-animal bond.1 Helps pets cope with changes in their environment.
  • For optimal results, prescribe ANXITANE® (L-Theanine) Chewable Tablets for at least 60 days for pets experiencing behavior changes in response to stress.
  • Flavored chewable tablets are palatable for dogs and cats and allow for easy administration and better compliance.
  • Natural and non–habit-forming nutritional supplement.
  • Warning: Not intended for use in animals with severe phobias, separation anxiety or in animals with a known history of aggression.

Tell Kingfish if he doesn't straighten up he won't be getting any :blowcandle cake on the 18th.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest arlosmom

I don't think it's a brain thing with Kingfish but more of a youthful dominance over the other boys. When Roy was putting up the decorations outside, perhaps there was some banging that would have startled Kingfish? I don't know about the other dogs being afraid of him. I'm guessing with each spat and with the party incident that any human yelling to control them might have them confused.

Regarding Kingfish's bed aggression, other GT dogs have had similar issues. Gracie had severe sleep aggression and bed space aggression but eventually grew out of it.

I think Diane at DogTrain will be the closest thing to a behaviorist near you. Maybe she could come over and watch the dogs interact?

supplement. [/b][*]Warning: Not intended for use in animals with severe phobias, separation anxiety or in animals with a known history of aggression.

Tell Kingfish if he doesn't straighten up he won't be getting any :blowcandle cake on the 18th.

Ha ha ha !!!!!!!

He went to the holistic vet yesterday. He said that the Anxitane did not do much for dogs. We are thinking more of a frustration or malaise from not being active enough with all his rear leg and foot trouble. Maybe he is in pain. The guy is a licensed vet but also licensed in Chinese medicine. Kingfish had a thorough exam and we gave him a copy of all his treatments so far. He also had accupuncture and laser therapy. Roy and he discussed behavioural issues as well. He spent two hours with him. He says that Kingfish has much discomfort already in his back and hips. He is probably all out of whack from all his leg and foot trouble walking on 3 legs half of the time. I am going to finish that small prescription of anxitane and not get it anymore. Call me and we can discuss in more detail. I may also call Diane if his growling at the others continues. He won't let them lay down anywhere near him.

That must have been Dr Kerr? I wanted to use him once for Niña but he would never answer the phone.

I hope he can help Kingfish. Will he do the accupuncture? How about Dr Galligan, the human chiropractor? She's trained to do dogs as well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest arlosmom

That must have been Dr Kerr? I wanted to use him once for Niña but he would never answer the phone.

I hope he can help Kingfish. Will he do the accupuncture? How about Dr Galligan, the human chiropractor? She's trained to do dogs as well.

He did get accupuncture! I think he was a little sore yesterday but he goes back in a few weeks. I was so impressed because he spent two hours with him.

Kingfish - MadDie heer- Mommy said that yourz Mommy sayz you dontz feel well. Is is sending you good thoughs that youz feel better soon

You 're buddy MadDie

Deb,

I hope Kingfish is doing better and not barking at Arlo. Boys, I tell you. No seriously, hope he gets better soon. His buddy here has been shaking her head for a few days so I made an appt with the vet as I thought it may be an ear infection. I was right, it is a yeast infection, not in 1 ear but in BOTH. Poor Mads and she has lost 4 pounds since she was last there in November when I went on vacation. The vet and I are not really worried about the weight loss as at 9 1/2 Ms. Maddie is still fairly active. Just upping her food intake.

Kingfish, get better buddy

Amy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]