Sleeping All Evening And All Night

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

Am I the only one who has greyhounds who just sleep all evening after dinner, go out before bed to potty, then sleep all night until morning? They sleep SO much. I know this is a characteristic of greyhounds. I try to get them to play in the evening but they just act like big poops, no interest. LOL

Guest mbfilby

Typical greyhound sleep pattern here.

Up, potty, breakfast, sleep til noon

Up, potty, play for 28 seconds, sleep til 3:30..

Up, beg for dinner, get upset that no dinner, run around, play, bark, be a pest, beg for dinner until 5:30 or when my patients runs out.

Dinner, sleep til 8, potty, play for 32 seconds, sleep til bed time, scramble to see who sleeps with the humans

Lather, rinse repeat...

Guest mcsheltie

I have two that go out in the morning and I have to force them to go out again later in the day. Both will sleep till noon if I let them. I think they would be happy if I only made them get up twice a week to pee!

Guest verthib

I feel like a bad doggy mom just letting them sleep all evening and then potty and sleep for 8 more hours. But I guess it seems normal. I've been thinking they are just really bored living with us. We have no kids and have pretty quiet evenings.

Guest mcsheltie

I feel like a bad doggy mom just letting them sleep all evening and then potty and sleep for 8 more hours. But I guess it seems normal. I've been thinking they are just really bored living with us. We have no kids and have pretty quiet evenings.

Mine aren't bored. There are things they could do. They want to sleep!

Mine gets his dinner at 4:00, then right after that a 10-20 minute last walk (he gets a long walk from 11:30 to 12:30), and from 4:30 till next morning at 7:30 he won't get off the sofa. I would describe him as comatose. I don't know how he does it. I'm so envious. And he only turned 5 two days ago.

Edited by christinepi

Guest KsFrets

>I've been thinking they are just really bored living with us.<

Content happy dogs lay around and sleep all day. Bored dogs chew up stuff and cause trouble :unsure

Mine can show signs of life in the hour or two before dinner, and early evening when we have playtime. Joseph usually rouses briefly @ noon to help Grammy read the mail. Otherwise, they're asleep. It's a GOOD thing! :lol

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BrianRke

Perfectly normal. Mine do the same thing Judy's dogs do. They lie around all night, go to bed and sleep all night, wake up with me to eat breakfast, then they all go back to sleep. They are sleeping right now :)

Guest verthib

Mine gets his dinner at 4:00, then right after that a 10-20 minute last walk (he gets a long walk from 11:30 to 12:30), and from 4:30 till next morning at 7:30 he won't get off the sofa. I would describe him as comatose. I don't know how he does it. I'm so envious. And he only turned 5 two days ago.

Wow, I can't imagine having my greys "hold it" for 15 hours! Holy cow! (unless I read that wrong?) :eek We take ours out between 9 and 10 pm, and we get up around 7-7:30 am.

Edited by verthib

Guest Yankeegreyhound

I have 3 kids - a 5 year old and 2 year old twins!!! My house is CRAZY and the dogs just sleep, potty, sleep and play for maybe 5 minutes here and there!!!

Guest verthib

I have 3 kids - a 5 year old and 2 year old twins!!! My house is CRAZY and the dogs just sleep, potty, sleep and play for maybe 5 minutes here and there!!!

Good to know!!!

Wow, I can't imagine having my greys "hold it" for 15 hours! Holy cow! (unless I read that wrong?) :eek We take ours out between 9 and 10 pm, and we get up around 7-7:30 am.

You read that right. But it's actually closer to 16 hours that he goes without peeing/pooping. In the morning, I eat breakfast after I give him his, and then he goes back onto the sofa to sleep some more until I take him for a walk at 8:15. Initially I always offered him the back yard before I ate my own breakfast, but he never wanted it.

Guest verthib

You read that right. But it's actually closer to 16 hours that he goes without peeing/pooping. In the morning, I eat breakfast after I give him his, and then he goes back onto the sofa to sleep some more until I take him for a walk at 8:15. Initially I always offered him the back yard before I ate my own breakfast, but he never wanted it.

It's really none of my business, but I feel compelled to ask.... Why do you not give him an evening potty break before you go to bed? 16 hours is extremely long. I can't imagine holding it for that long.... so I don't make mine wait more than I would want to personally wait.

Edited by verthib

It's really none of my business, but I feel compelled to ask.... Why do you not give him an evening potty break before you go to bed? 16 hours is extremely long. I can't imagine holding it for that long.... so I don't make mine wait more than I would want to personally wait.

I gave up offering that to him after a few nights. I'd open the door to the yard, encourage him to go out, and he wouldn't even look at me. I also tried picking up the leash and putting on my coat to encourage him because I just couldn't believe he wouldn't have to go. Nada. As I said, I offered it to him right after his breakfast, too, and he never takes me up on it. I learned from that that he must be comfortable like this. And he sure knows to ask when he does have to go otherwise, so that's not the issue.

My Annie Bella sleeps a lot during the day and sleeps all evening and all night, from about 6:30 PM to 5:30 AM, without going out (at least this time of year). I too used to encourage her to go out about 8 or 9 PM and got the stinky eye for my trouble and sometimes a turn around in her bed so her back was to me. I can take a hint. :rolleyes:

She always sleeps with her eyes at least half open so honestly, during the day sometimes I don't know if she's napping or just staring into space. :lol I just know she spends all her spare time in her bed.

Annie Bella almost never plays with her stuffies. The only time she does is when she's impatient waiting for me to get going on our walk (and she knows when I put on my hiking boots, it's walk time). If I'm not there with the leash in 20 seconds, she trashes her stuffies, winging them here and there with some whining tossed in just to make sure I get the message.

Guest BrianRke

Um, I was thinking the same thing. Seems like a potty before human bedtime should be mandatory.

I definitely agree. If I dont MAKE my 3 go out and toilet before I go to bed, Im awakened at around 3am.