Medical Supplies

I adopted Annie Bella in July of this year. I have nothing in the house to take care of medical situations that could be addressed before going to a vet, if necessary. What supplies would you recommend? Thanks for the suggestions!

Vet Wrap

Non stick gauze pads

Neosporin

Bag Balm

Hydrogen Peroxide

Gauze wrap

Benedryl

Scissors

Rubber gloves

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Vet Wrap

Non stick gauze pads

Neosporin

Bag Balm

Hydrogen Peroxide

Gauze wrap

Benedryl

Scissors

Rubber gloves

Thanks. I've got half of these things in the house already, including Bag Balm (country folk tend to keep that around). Will get the rest on my next shopping trip.

Guest snowmo18

adding to that...

tweezers

bulb syringe/turkey baster (flushing out wounds of dirt)

thermometer

large towel (stop severe bleeding)

There is also a topical spray out there that is easier to apply than peroxide if need be. I have used it a few times on our dogs if they get scrapped up just to kill any germs

All of the above except I'd skip the hydrogen peroxide as it can actually damage tissue. You can use saline solution to flush wounds. For antiseptic qualities you can use a dilute Betadine solution, 1 part Betadine to 9 parts water. That solution is mild enough that you don't need to rinse it off.

To the list I would add:

toddler socks

Pawz dog boots http://pawzdogboots.com/ (Large, purple size works well over bandaged feet.)

Epsom salts

muzzle

Guest KennelMom

All of the above except I'd skip the hydrogen peroxide as it can actually damage tissue.

keep the hydrogen peroxide, not for wounds, but in case you need to induce vomiting.

Other than the basic first aid stuff already listed, I'd add styptic powder for small wounds (ie, on ears) that seem to want to bleed like there's no tomorrow.

I swear by Johnson and Johnson Elastikon tape. It sticks to their fur, but not when you pull it off. Perfect for taping gauze bandaging.

Also, I didn't notice any styptic powder for bleeding or cut quick. Also, EMT Gel, covers the wound with a plastic type coating. When using EMT Gel, you need to use a non-stick telfa pad.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I put in the hydrogen peroxide, not for wounds but for using to make a pup vomit if it's gotten into something it shouldn't.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest KennelMom

I like sanitary napkins better than a towel for stopping blood.

oh yes, that's a really good tip.

I also pretty much use the tefla bandages on anything I'm going to leave wrapped so it doesn't stick.

Guest Energy11

I like to keep Pepcid AC 10 mg, or it' generic, and Gas X around for stomach related problems. It is handy to have a rectal thermomter, too. Good Luck!

I like to keep Pepcid AC 10 mg, or it' generic, and Gas X around for stomach related problems. It is handy to have a rectal thermomter, too. Good Luck!

Uhmm... good luck with accumulating the supplies or.. ahh.. errr. using a rectal thermometer? :P:lol

hydrogen peroxide is also great for taking blood stains out of carpet and furniture. Once while taking a nap I woke up to spots of blood all over the LR carpet. One hound had a cut in the webbing of his foot. A capful of peroxide on each spot took it right out.

Vet Wrap

Non stick gauze pads

Neosporin

Bag Balm

Hydrogen Peroxide

Gauze wrap

Benedryl

Scissors

Rubber gloves

i keep all of the above in a sturdy tote bag in the same place all the time, so i don't have to "locate" my kit.

i also have cotton wrap, found it at an excellent old fashioned drug store. it's the type that goes under a cast, i wrap w/ gauze wrap, then a layer of cotton wrap(same texture as cotton balls), a thin layer of gauze and then vet wrap. make sure you can put a finger in between the bandage and the dog's limb, other wise the bandage will be too tight.saline eye solution so you don't have to make your own. and DUCT TAPE, excellent for making booties! rubber gloves???- i can't handle anything w/ those on!

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest FullMetalFrank

I have all of the stuff mentioned (including the sanitary pads, and I had a complete hysterectomy in 2009 AND my DF stood there in the grocery store with me, looking for just the right ones! :P ) I also have a stethoscope and the rectal thermometer and I keep molasses and arnica pellets in our coursing bag.

I have all of the stuff mentioned (including the sanitary pads, and I had a complete hysterectomy in 2009 AND my DF stood there in the grocery store with me, looking for just the right ones! :P ) I also have a stethoscope and the rectal thermometer and I keep molasses and arnica pellets in our coursing bag.

Please explain the reason molasses and arnica pellets. I have most of the other things listed, but have never heard of arnica pellets or of a use for molasses for greys. :blush