Peeing On Everything.

Guest amyblue

Guest amyblue

We adopted Thor about 6 months ago and have never had a problem with him until about a month ago. He now pees on everything. He pees infront of you. He pees on rugs. He pees! He is not crated as I am usually home so he is left unsupervised occasionally in the house with our Dobie and until a month ago all was well. Two nights ago he stood up and peed in his bed. I took him to the vet and had his urine checked for infection and had a full check up and he is totally healthy. He has also decided to chew up anything he finds on the floor. Pens, toys,you name uit have been chewed to bits by him. So we put thing up and he now will steal off the counters. His latest today is raiding the bathroom trash can for really YUCKY things. The dog is making me crazy. I don't know what could of suddenly triggered this behavior. He was so sweet and well mannered for 5 months. We have not introduced any new animals or changed anything in his routine. HELP! Any ideas out there? Thanks Amy

Guest Melissa516

Put your bathroom garbage can under the sink if you can (behind a closed door). I know that's where I keep mine, or the dog and 3 cats would be into it constantly.

How often is he taken outside for potty?

How old is he? And, how much exercise does he get?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest amyblue

I stay at home so he goes in and out all day long. With two girls they are constantly throwing the ball with him and playing so he is well exercised. He is three and a total sweetheart. I have of course moved the garbage can the same as we did with all the stuff on the floor. I am thinking about trying him at coursing just for fun to see if he would enjoy it, but have not tried it yet.

@ Grey pup I will talk to the vet about a course of antibiotics or are these the type I can pick up at a feed store?

I don't know anything about buying antibiotics at a feed store; I'm in a fairly urban area. I'd call the vet, and say you wanted to try them "just in case". I thought Joe was just being a spaz at first, he was pacing and poking at things and generally just being a pain in the neck. Then I came home from work one day, and he just wasn't right. Not happy to see me, blood shot eyes, etc. We'd been to the vet before that, but nothing had shown up. Decided on the AB's that day as a first step. He got better, then worse after a few days off them. Then we gave him more time on the drugs, and added a second -- maybe two weeks worth (?). He's been fine since.

I have to say that Joe is fantastic about not pottying in the house. He bonks the bedroom door or sticks a cold nose in my face EVERY time he needs to "go". I'm a proud Mommy! :blush

Good luck!

I would make sure he goes to the bathroom when he goes outside, and keep an eye on him inside -- keep him in the same room with you so if he starts looking for a place to go, you can "Aah, let's go out!" and whisk him outside. Not sure where you are located, but if you are having crisp fall weather, that can bring on more energy. Something of his own to chew on and making sure he gets a good workout 2-3 times a day might help, as will (alas!) dogproofing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Very unusual for a dog to just start peeing like that, especially when he previously did well with housetraining. Some UTIs don't show up on tests, so I would definitely run a course of antibiotics to be on the safe side. If it persists, think about trying a belly band. Sometimes when male dogs start becoming more confident in their surroundings, they will mark. Some greys hate going outside in the cold weather, so depending on where you live, he may be uncomfortable outside. Either way, you want to discourage this behavior by interrupting him when he tries to pee (a sharp "uh uh!") and immediately take him outside. Wait for him to pee, then praise and treat him.

If it is not medical, I was thinking he may just be settling in and thinking he's the king of the castle. That, combined with perhaps being bored (chewing, counter surfing) but it seems he gets a lot of activity already. Perhaps he needs a different kind of stimulation, like to accompany you on trips to the pet store, other outings, etc. Leash walks and fenced in large space running, etc. He may be one of those super active hounds that needs more variety than most. I know when we need to zonk our dogs out the occasional time, they come with us to the pet store...works every time! Good luck.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest BrianRke

Is he peeing? or marking? By this I mean, does he go a lot when he pees in the house, or does he lift his leg on things and just pee a little?

Welcome to GreyTalk :welcome

Guest amyblue

We live in Texas so up until last week or so it was not that cold. This week he has protested about going outside but with his sweater he begrudgingly makes the trek. This is peeing, not marking as there is always a lot of urine.He rarely lifts his leg to pee. He as my kids say pees like a girl. LOL. He came with a belly band so when this started we immediately went to that and he will pee through it. We put him in a kennel at nights to try and start potty training over and he started to pee in the kennel. I know most dogs will not pee where they sleep but I wonder if at the tracks they are use to peeing where they sleep. I know nothing about racing or where they are kept so this is just a thought that crossed my mind. A thought that may have no validity at all. He is definitely the top dog here and has been since he arrived. It is really funny to see him totally dominate our Dobie. When we play ball with the two Thor will let you throw the ball and the wait to go after it until the Dobie (Sarge) is half way to the ball then BOOM, Thor charges easily passing the Dobie and claiming the ball. If Sarge should be luck enough to get the ball first Thor will run up to him and without growling or anything take the ball from Sarge. As far as taking him in the car we are doing little trips with him but he really does not care for the car. He really is not that energetic and truly is the laziest dog I have ever had. We do go for walks but have slacked off the past couple of weeks as it is getting colder. We have now dog proofed but I am just really confused as to why the sudden crazy behavior. He was awesome the first few months. Maybe this is him coming into the King of the Castle. I really don't know but I really appreciate you all are being so helpful.

Guest BrianRke

I wish I had some advice to give you. The only thing I can answer is: No, the dogs on the track dont normally toilet in their crates. I would get a second opinion from another veterinarian or have him run some more tests. Somehow I think this is a medical issue and not behavioral. Peeing in the crate is not normal. Its also not normal to all of a sudden become "un-house trained".

He may just need a longer course of antibiotics.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

What did your vet say when you took him in? Or have you taken him in yet? If not, I would do so now. The crate & belly band are good ideas for limiting the damage & containing things in an effort to restart potty training. However, those won't solve the problem if he has a UTI.

BTW, belly bands only seem to work if you use an incontinence pad or diaper as a liner.

Guest amyblue

I took him to the Vet yesterday and he got a clean bill of health. We captured a sample at the vets and they did a urinalysis. He gave him a full exam and blood work up and nothing. I am going to call him back and see if we can run antibiotics just in case.

Good! I have to stress that the vet didn't see anything wrong with Joe's blood or urine when he had his (presumed) UTI. He got better on antibiotics, worse off them, and all-the-way-better on more antibiotics for a longer duration. Can't hurt, might help, not too expensive! If not the vet you use, then try the rescue's vet. This sounds wrong. I bet he's hurting.