Miriam

We have had Miriam since the end of July.

I posted once before regarding her behavior(http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/276696-changing-behavior/). We have been crating her when we are gone, so there have been no more peeing issues.

Miriam has pretty well accepted me, but I am home with her 7 days a week (outside of going to work, etc). Roy has been working for the past year just over 90 miles away and has only been home on weekends, or we went to his apartment on weekends. She almost seemed a hair more (not much more) relaxed away from our home.

Roy now has started a job closer to home, but he will still have to move to an apartment on the city's electric line. Until he finds a pet friendly apartment, he will be staying at home. She is absolutely afraid of Roy! She does not want to be in the same room with him. (This happened after he had an argument with someone on the phone regarding his old apartment)

She is not afraid of Roy's dad and she does well in public. She actually seems to enjoy being in public. Miriam was relatively relaxed the one time we were at my inlaws with her.

When Roy is home, she will not come in the house at all for Roy, and sometimes it is very hard for me to get her to come in. Roy has tried walking her on a leash to no avail. She will not do anything when he has her on a leash. With the snow starting to fall, if it is like last year, she will practically be able to hop over the fence so we will have to leash walk her, but we are afraid she can get out of her collar if she is too afraid. We had a harness from Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers for Rhett, but it slipped too much. Where can we find a harness that will not slide around a greyhound body?

This is all really upsetting for Roy and I am sometimes at my wits end when I have to always be the one to take her out, feed her, etc. Just say my sleep has been lacking.

What can we do? There are no trainers within 100 miles of here that know anything about greyhounds. Will she ever improve?

Thanks,

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I don't think you need a trainer that knows greyhounds, but one that has a good reputation for positive reinforcement. Greyhounds are dogs after all.

Will she take treats from Roy? Have him do all the feedings and stuff. Lots of stinky yummy treats will help too.

If Roy is willing, let him fix her food and feed her her meals. Let him offer all treats and treat and praise the heck out of her when she complies. Have him carry treats in his pocket when he walks her to keep her moving. If need be, walk with them a few times but have him control the lead and the treats.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

we go/went thru this w/ annie and my son-in-law. as soon as she sees him she bolts for our bedroom and hides in a corner. my adoption rep suggested that we don't force anything what so ever. when she is ready to approach him or even come out to the group(in the livingroom/dining room area- our cottage is small) just continue what we are doing and IGNORE her. if and when she finally approached SIL he did have an open hand w/ a treat, it was usually meat or bread from dinner but he never tries to touch her or say something-he just opens his hand next to his body, doesn't extend his arm. as soon as he speaks she freaks and runs, he's from spain and still and always will have an accent.

things are a tad better, but she never really has enough time to adjust even though he will occasionally spend a week here as he does his business in nyc(they live in texas and we see the kids rarely). we just ignore annie, even though it sounds harsh, that's what we do. she will watch ignacio play w/ felix in the yard, but let's see if she decides to join in. we have had her almost 2 years now, as her confidence develops her fears should subside. will know the outcome of this visit this weekend.

if annie is progressing, so will your pup. when your spouse is around on a more regular schedule things will develop and then if meals are made my your DH that will help.it takes time...and lots of patience.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Roy needs to hand-feed her meals when he is there. Roy needs to give all attention, praise and treats while he is there. When Roy is in the house, you dont exist. The hand-feeding meals is essential for her to learn to trust him. He may need to do what I did, sit on the floor with a handfull of food behind his back and not move until she eats the handfull, then repeat. It will take time, but should build a very strong bond... I had to do this with one of my hounds, it took nearly 3 months to get her to be able to trust me.

Chad