Trouble Getting Up?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest GreyGary91806

Yesterday Gary went tearing out of the house looking for squirells as he always does and I noticed him favoring a leg when he came in. It looks like at some point in his life he may have broken something near or in his foot. So to move on since then he is struggling somewhat to stand up and I dont know what to do???? I have a vets appt set up for monday to get him rabies and for Diago to get an initial exam and check on his Hock injury.. Any advice for Gary?? He is 5 and a monster 80 plus lbs!!

Guest GreyGary91806

Yah im going to have to leash him and take him out. I went out with them just now to try to slow him down.. I was looking at something and he seen a squirrel and zoomed away... Funny how things dont hurt at that point.

Looks like he dropped a muscle. Leash walks and rest for a few weeks and he'll be good as new. I brought home one of mine with a freshly dropped muscle and he recovered in about 4 weeks.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreyGary91806

You would think the squirells would be scared to come around here knowing there are 2 giants things that want to kill them ... :angryfire :angryfire

I don't think the squirrels are very smart. I've had two running along the top of my fence because they think my dogs can't get them. They found out the other day that my three 90lb. boys are quite tall and can jump up and touch the top of the fence. Lesson learned by the squirrels, I haven't seen them since. :lol

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreyGary91806

I don't think the squirrels are very smart. I've had two running along the top of my fence because they think my dogs can't get them. They found out the other day that my three 90lb. boys are quite tall and can jump up and touch the top of the fence. Lesson learned by the squirrels, I haven't seen them since. :lol

:thumbs-up:lol

Just out of curiosity did you(Jillysfullhouse) ever notice the message i sent you on your page?

No I didn't! I'll have to go look. Sorry about that. Some times I notice and some times I get several in a day and lose track of who I have answered and who I haven't. Comes from getting old I guess. :lol

Okay, I saw it and answered. :lol

Guest GreyGary91806

Today is the big day... Find out whats going on with Diago's leg and Gary gets his shot! He is already able to get up a lot better than the other day although his leg is still very bruised.

Guest KennelMom

looks like a gracilus tear...two schools of thought if it's not fully dropped - let them run all out and get it over with or leash walk and heal the current injury knowing you'll probably go through this a few more times until the muscle fully drops.

good luck at the vet!

Hopefully this turns out to be something easily treatable :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks... Why does this happen to there muscles so commonly??

Tears to the gracilis muscle are usually caused by a sudden change of direction when they are running hard.

Pets aren't in the perfect physical condition they are at the track, so it can happen.

When they are racing it's usually the result of a little different movement as they are breaking from the box or pushing themselves a little harder in a race and direction change around another dog. Although it seems fairly common because we see it in the pet community as they come to adoption, it really is a low percentage.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg