Caution About Sweet Potato Skins

Hi!

Katie is crazy for most fruits and veggies, so I figured I would let her have the skin from some sweet potatoes I'd baked for a casserole (it's easier and tastier than boiling them). She loved it, but I quickly realized that dog's teeth are not made for chewing plants, and sweet potato skins are pretty big. Long story short, she managed to get it stuck to the roof of her mouth, and yet partially in her throat (like what happens some times when you are chewing gristly meat). It was extremely stressful watching her try to get it off the top of her mouth, but she eventually did. And it doesn't seem to have put her off (skinless) sweet potato any! But I just wanted other people to have a chance to learn from my mistake, and not have to go through it themselves.

Rebecca

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the tip. I can reach in and take food out of our greys mouth. It may be something you might want to aim for in the future in case something happens again. I might have put a glove on and risked getting bit in this case, just to try and ease her discomfort. I'm assuming that's the reason you didn't reach into her mouth.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I thought about it, but at the same time, she was doing a lot of pawing at her mouth and getting her to hold still long enough to even try wasn't too likely. Plus, while stressful, it was sort of the same thing as when peanut butter is on the roof of your mouth... annoying, but not life threatening. And about the time I was going to go for it, she managed to get it loose. But definitely no more of them for her!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Summit got the end bit of a trachea stuck in his mouth. I actually saw it coming. I was watching him eat it and I thought "he's going to get that stuck right... about... now" (just based on what he was doing and how he was trying to chomp down on it). Which he proceeded to do. Then I waited a few seconds to see if he was going to be able to dislodge it himself, but he started to paw at it in a panic and then let out the GSOD, so I reached over into the side of his mouth and literally just tapped it and it popped out. I barely touched it.

At the time I remember thinking "that was pretty stupid, dog", then I reminded myself it was my own stupid fault for watching him do it in the first place. :rolleyes::lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks for the tip!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.