Newly Adopted Greyhound... Help!

Guest Arielle

Guest Arielle

Hi everyone! I am a new greyhound owner and new to this forum. Unfortunately, I am having some issues with my new pup. I am a first year veterinary student, and despite the craziness of my schedule, I made a rash and somewhat stupid decision and adopted my grey, Ari, about two months ago. Ari is four and a half years old, and she was being used as a blood donor at the animal hospital at my school. The guy that is in charge of the greyhounds at the school assured me that greyhounds are extremely lazy and this one would make the perfect pet for someone who doesn't have a lot of time.

Well, since I brought her home, the opposite has proved to be true. Ari has a LOT of energy, and when I come home exhausted from eight hours of class she paces through the house and whimpers unless I pet or play with her, despite me taking her for an hour long walk when I first get home. This is seriously cutting into my study time and has already affected my grade on a quiz, and I also feel extremely guilty that I don't have more time to spend with her. I know that she's never been in a house before and this a BIG adjustment for her, but I'm just worried because I was told it would take a max of three week for her to settle in, and it's been two months with no sign that she's calming down.

Another big problem that I'm having is her aggression. I try to take her to the dog park once or twice a week so she can run and get some energy out. She seems to LOVE going. She gets super excited and seems really happy running around with the other dogs. However, as soon as another dog does anything physical to her like jumping (even if it's only playing) or bumping into her, she instantly goes into attack mode. A few days ago this resulted in a fight and I had to take her to the vet to get stitches.

I'm at my wits end. I love this dog, but should I try to find another home for her with someone with more time to devote (this would make me very sad)? Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this novel!

Others will have more insight onto many of the things you address, but as far as other dogs, I have one hound who has no tolerance for any dogs near him other than greys....The breed aggression thing is not uncommon with them.

Good Luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest jbbuzby

It sounds like Ari might need some more structure in her life. Vet school is hard financially, but I'd probably hire a mid-day dog walker for an additional 30 minute walk at lunch time to help curb her energy.

Also, are you in charge, or does she think she is? Dogs that think they are in charge can seem way more active than what they are because they think it's their job to do everything (though admittedly, this isn't usually the case with greyhounds...Ari sounds like a very special one). I'd brush up on some alpha-training by some means, even if you do it The Loved Dog gentle way (by Tamar Geller). Also, can she be entertained with stuffed kongs/bones while you study? You might have to ignore her while you are and do the tough love of the squirt bottle if she gets in your face/is demanding. Remember, "nothing in life is free"! Be very black and white with her as obviously as possible as to what is good and what is bad (good=laying down, chewing on bone, bad=demanding attention, barking at you, getting into things).

Normally for active dogs, dog daycare is wonderful, but she sounds a bit iffy, and a simple playbite or snap can lead to stitches, as you unfortunately know :/.

Lastly, not all greyhounds are the same and as I mentioned, Ari just does sound a bit special. For most that I've met, the sleeping 18+ hours a day has been true!

Arielle -- I am so sorry to hear that you and Ari are having such a difficult adjustment. My first bit of advice would be to try to find a local greyhound adoption group to offer some help and resources. Maybe there is someone in your area who can come and give Ari some time and attention when you are at school. As a Vet student, you may also have access to an Animal Behaviorist who might be able to help you. It sounds to me like Ari is missing you since you are gone for so long each day.

As for the aggression -- she is definitely NOT ready for a dog park at this point. You and she need to bond more and she needs some training in order to be able to attend to and obey you before she starts running loose with other dogs (if she ever is able to).

I don't know much about the life of a greyhound in a blood donor program (mine gave blood as a drop-in at a blood mobile) but it may differ enough from that of a dog on the track that it does not lead to the typical "couch potato" personality. Or, it may just be that Ari is the exception to the "rule".

I wish you much luck -- but I would also suggest connecting with a reputable greyhound adoption group in your area in case you need to rehome your sweet girl.

Arielle -- I am so sorry to hear that you and Ari are having such a difficult adjustment. My first bit of advice would be to try to find a local greyhound adoption group to offer some help and resources. Maybe there is someone in your area who can come and give Ari some time and attention when you are at school. As a Vet student, you may also have access to an Animal Behaviorist who might be able to help you. It sounds to me like Ari is missing you since you are gone for so long each day.

As for the aggression -- she is definitely NOT ready for a dog park at this point. You and she need to bond more and she needs some training in order to be able to attend to and obey you before she starts running loose with other dogs (if she ever is able to).

I don't know much about the life of a greyhound in a blood donor program (mine gave blood as a drop-in at a blood mobile) but it may differ enough from that of a dog on the track that it does not lead to the typical "couch potato" personality. Or, it may just be that Ari is the exception to the "rule".

I wish you much luck -- but I would also suggest connecting with a reputable greyhound adoption group in your area in case you need to rehome your sweet girl.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

I sympathize. I adopted Summit at the beginning of last year when I was in my third year of vet school. I chose a greyhound because I wanted a quiet, low maintenance dog, and that's just what I got. Don't get me wrong, he's got some energy. He'll go for a 3 hour hike with me (you know, in the summer when I actually have time) but if I have to study he just sleeps. Which is great because final year is killer (I write my NAVLE next Tuesday so studying has been top priority).

Summit has some issues playing with non-greyhounds. I don't like to think of it as aggression. Most of the time his "aggressive" outbursts are simply appropriate responses to inappropriate behaviour. There are a lot of "friendly" dogs that are just very rude (innocently so in some cases) and Summit will tell them off for it. But he also doesn't understand that for other breeds the physical contact and bumping when running is perfectly normal, appropriate play. He doesn't often get to run off leash with non-greys for this reason. With the wrong dog he would end up in a fight. Do you have any greyhound groups in your area that could set you up with some other greyhound owners for play dates? We have a group that we meet up with every week.

You can also teach her to fetch. That'll give you an easy, quick way to burn some energy. I had to teach Summit from scratch about toys and fetching because he wouldn't even touch one when I got him. Now I take the Chuck It! out to a fenced ball diamond and we play fetch. If you check out my blog I have a post with videos showing how I taught him to fetch.

Best of luck! I totally sympathize. I don't know where you are but I assume the States. I'm not sure how it is down there but here first year vet school is when you will have the most time to do things and have fun. I remember being pretty stressed about grades and such at this point of first year but I also learned that my entire life didn't have to be studying. After first year all bets are off though! :lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I haven't read all the responses, but wanted to give input on the dog park issues. She isn't attacking dogs that jump on her. She is disciplining them. She is saying that she doesn't like to be jumped on. If there's a fight it's because the other dog doesn't like being disciplined. Honestly, I hate when dogs jump on me too so I can't blame her one bit. Since she doesn't like dogs that behave inappropriately, I would stop bringing her to the dog park. See if there are any fenced ball fields around that you can use instead.

What I'm going to say is going to sound a bit harsh but to me, it doesn't sound like Ari is being all that demanding. Sure, she 'may' sleep for 18 - 20 hours a day. But that leaves 4 - 6 hours. You're away for, say, 9 hours with class (8 hours plus travel time/ shopping/ whatever). You sleep for, say, 7 hours. That's 16 hours minimum there where Ari hasn't had any interaction with you (though sleeping near you is important to them). So when she sees you, she probably wants some stimulation and company, and the 2 - 3 hours a day, split into morning and night that she's currently getting, isn't enough for her. Mine are the same. I need to make sure both of them get their two walks of 30 minutes to an hour, plus other outings, about 45 minutes a day of just 'actively' hanging out (grooming, cuddling, playing, whatever) each, and then they both are within two metres of me the rest of the time I'm home. And when they're left alone, they have each other. Before we got number 2, Brandi was even more demanding.

My point is that it sounds like Ari needs more company and attention, hence the energy and attention-seeking when you get home. They aren't fish, or cats, or horses, who can be left alone. They actively seek out our attention and affection. And they do take up time.

As I said, maybe what I've said sounds harsh, and others can let me know.

Guest Arielle

Thank you for the replies everyone. It sounds like there is a simple fix for her aggression, which is to stop taking her to the dog park. What troubles me is that it seems like many of you are coming to the conclusion that I'm not spending enough time with her. Unfortunately with my demanding schedule, I'm doing all that I can to make her happy, and it seems like it still isn't enough. I really don't want to do this, but does everyone think it would be better for her for me to find her a different home? Thanks again to everyone who replies!

Thank you for the replies everyone. It sounds like there is a simple fix for her aggression, which is to stop taking her to the dog park. What troubles me is that it seems like many of you are coming to the conclusion that I'm not spending enough time with her. Unfortunately with my demanding schedule, I'm doing all that I can to make her happy, and it seems like it still isn't enough. I really don't want to do this, but does everyone think it would be better for her for me to find her a different home? Thanks again to everyone who replies!

It all depends on the dog and your living situation. Do you have roommates? Friends or family who live nearby? I got my dog at one of the worst times. Start of third year. Start of surgical exercises. Start of having to be at school at 7 AM for surgery, stay until 5:30, back to check on surgical animals at 8PM every night before and after surgery (apparently animals have to be fed and walked ;)).

I think you need to take a deep breath, calm yourself for a moment (I know that state of panic... I've been there) and try to reflect on the situation objectively. Is she truly too high energy? Or is it that even with the amount of exercise she is getting she needs some other outlet? Maybe a walk isn't enough for her. Try jogging with her. Trust me when I say that vet school (not so much first and second year) totally obliterates your exercise time. I used to play varsity frisbee, now I'm lucky if I can make it to intramurals once a week. But I HAVE to walk my dog so I'm guaranteed to get that exercise and I make the most of it (very brisk walks, long hikes when I can afford the time). I wish Summit would jog with me but he doesn't particularly enjoy it. My point is that if you HAVE to jog your dog for 20 minutes, you will, and not only does it benefit your dog, it'll also benefit you.

Take an hour out of your week and go to obedience class with her. You will build a better relationship with your dog, enforce that YOU are the leader, and give your dog mental stimulation. An hour a week for obedience class is nothing (trust me... it may not seem like it right now but we did classes all last year and it was the highlight of the week for both myself and my dog). See if one of your classmates has a dog they want to do classes with and go together. You don't really get to talk and socialize during obedience class but it sort of fulfills that social need as well. A friend of mine a year behind me in vet school took obedience and agility classes with us. Then every day use her breakfast or dinner kibble to work for 5 minutes on what you learned in obedience class. I still do this with Summit. It's fun to teach him new tricks... even useless ones!

I don't know of many greyhounds that are so high energy as to be demanding. There are some, but I think they're pretty few and far between. Are you spending enough time with her? That depends on what her needs are. If you devote a bit of time every day and every week to doing an activity that is just about you and her, then I think that's fine. I mean, how much time do I spend with MY dog? I walk him for 45 minutes in the morning, work on tricks for 5 minutes with his breakfast and then go to school and he sleeps all day. I leave him Kongs and other food dispensing toys as well. Even if I'm home like this week (study week!) he just sleeps in the bedroom while I study. He stays there until I tell him it's time for a walk. When I get home from school on a normal day I say hi to him, take him for a quick pee, and then I sit down to study. I feed him dinner at 6PM (5 minutes of tricks again) and then take him for a 30-45 min walk before bed. A few times a week I take him to the ball diamond to play a hard game of fetch or to run with another greyhound we know. Once a week we meet up with a larger group of greyhounds for an hour long run (and about 2 minutes of that are spent actually running).

You made the right choice of breed. You may have just gotten the wrong individual. Or you may just need to make some minor adjustments to channel her energy. It CAN be done. Vet school is not the end all of life... though it sometimes seems like it, and first year is the best year to add a pet and work out the details. Of course, if you really feel like she's too much and you're not spending enough time with her then let the school know and maybe they'll have some suggestions or another home waiting.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Arielle

Thank you Krissy, your post made me feel a lot better. I think the problem is that I tend to over think things way too much. I've just been feeling really guilty about leaving her alone so much, but I guess the truth is that most people work full-time and leave their dogs home. My next door neighbors are at work all day and their labrador just sits in the backyard, even when they are at home. I'm going to give her more time, because I know a lot of other people in my class that have dogs and make it work. Thanks again!

I went through law school with three greyhounds, including a one year-old puppy I adopted my third year. It can definitely be done - you just have to be willing to figure out what works for you both. That might not necessarily involve MORE time, just time spent doing different things (quick training sessions, jogging, a one-weekly obedience class, etc...)

Two months is such a short period of time - you're both still learning, and she's still figuring out what living in a home means. I think you'll find things will get much easier once she's really settled in.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Thank you Krissy, your post made me feel a lot better. I think the problem is that I tend to over think things way too much. I've just been feeling really guilty about leaving her alone so much, but I guess the truth is that most people work full-time and leave their dogs home. My next door neighbors are at work all day and their labrador just sits in the backyard, even when they are at home. I'm going to give her more time, because I know a lot of other people in my class that have dogs and make it work. Thanks again!

We all over think things... I think it's the one commonality among vet students. Of course, thinking too much can be bad... probably the number 1 reason I get questions wrong on exams. It can be tough to juggle everything... you just need to decide what YOU want and what your priorities are. If you want an internship and to become a board certified surgeon and it's all about being the most amazing, well-known vet ever... well social, romantic, and outside of work life are going to suffer. But some people want that and are willing to accept the sacrifices. Personally, I want to be a good vet. It's very important to me. But I also want to enjoy my life. I want to be an all rounded person. I want to spend time with my family and friends, I want to go places with my dog, I want to play sports, I want to read a book that has nothing to do with medicine every once in awhile. So I'll take a tiny hit to my marks by taking time out from studying to do some of the above. An hour a week for dog classes, an hour for hockey, an hour to watch t.v. with my boyfriend... to cook dinner....

I've had people tell me that they won't have a dog until they retire because it's not fair to leave one at home for an 8 hour work day. That's how they feel so they have to do what's right for them. My point of view is that most dogs sleep most of the time and if no one had a dog unless they didn't have to leave it for more than 1 or 2 hours a day... well, we'd have even more dogs in shelters needing homes. Just try to enrich her life as best you can. There are some dogs that are high energy and demanding and may not be the best choice for a working lifestyle. There are also many dogs who are fine with it, and many more that can adapt to it given a bit of work. We're not there to see exactly what she's doing but it sounds like she just needs a bit of structure and a bit of time that is especially devoted to just her. I love training, so I'm a huge proponent of taking classes or even just doing it at home yourself. I think it's the single most important thing for a dog... possibly even more so than exercise.

Bleh... can you tell from my long winded posts that I'm procrastinating? I really can't wait to get this exam over and done with. If only they told you sooner than February whether you passed or not. :blink:

Like us on Facebook!

With one of the jobs I had, my boy Jack spent long days alone.....I would be sure that every night we did something special when I got home. Sometimes I would put him in the car and go out for rides and on errands and stuff.....just to make sure that he felt special. Don't feel guilty about an 8 hour day. Many greyhounds and their parents here on GT have to go to work for a normal length work day. Yes, if she is particularly energetic, then you might want to find a mid-day walker....but don't let guilt for leaving her cloud your judgement on this.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Why not invest in a few of THESE to keep her mentally stimulated. You could trade them out from day to day so they seem new each time she gets them. They should keep her busy during the day, may even tire her out.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest JustGreyt05

As a fellow vet student, with a greyhound, I can definitely offer you some advice. One: if you feel like you can't handle a dog with the workload of first year, just wait until second year. I promise it's a lot tougher and much more time consuming. My advice is if you feel like you can't really commit the time to a new dog now as a first year, return the dog and wait until a better time. Summer may be better for you... get into a routine, save up some cash, make friends with some clinicians in community practice that will treat your dog for cheap if you need it, enroll in some training classes, take advantage of the free feeding programs that vet students get... The list of what you can do with your dog in the summer to have a smooth transition into second year is endless. Or wait till the summer before third year. I got mine at the beginning of third year. He had severe separation anxiety and I ended up taking him to see a boarded vet behaviorist (and talked with Dr. Couto a bunch, or course.) The thing is, I had a pretty easy quarter and had the time to put in the effort. If you don't have the time for a dog, you don't have the time for a dog. Not ideal, of course, but I think you're smart to seriously consider giving the dog back.

If you're at Ohio State, I'd be glad to meet for coffee or something and we can talk more. I'm sorry things may not work out. There's a lot of good info on here. Hang in there!

EDIT: Also, this sounds like the dog may not be the right match for you. I think there is DEFINITELY another dog out there that will be a better fit for your lifestyle. Just my two cents.

Edited by JustGreyt05

If you're at Ohio State, I'd be glad to meet for coffee or something and we can talk more. I'm sorry things may not work out. There's a lot of good info on here. Hang in there!

I'm betting not OSU since she said the dog was a blood donor at her school. All of OSU's blood donors are off-site privately owned dogs now. The cats are also privately owned and brought in.

Actually, I'd be interested in knowing which schools currently still keep dogs on site as blood donors. My school adopted out all the on-site dogs and opted for citizen owned dogs the year I started (so about 3.5-4 years ago). We do still keep cats on site though. Penn State also has a private blood donor program. I don't know anything about any of the other schools.

Enrolling in the blood donor program is another great way to keep costs down. OSU has fantastic benefits for their donors. My school... not quite so much, but it is still helpful. Summit was retired recently though because of his pannus. Yay for $90 eye drops! :unsure We had a lot of cut backs even to our student feeding program in the last 2 years. I can't feed my dog on just the food from school anymore. So it's something to be aware of if cost is an issue.

I almost brought home a broken leg dog from OSU this summer. She turned out not to be so cat safe so I left her behind and she was adopted a few weeks later with another broken leg dog. I was sad because she was so perfect for us in every other way. But when I got home and started final year... well, part of me is glad she wasn't able to come home with us because the constraints on my time are hard enough.

Honestly though, I think in first year the biggest issue is THINKING you don't have enough time. I had way more of a social life in first year than I have ever had. My 2 years of undergrad before vet school were spent in almost complete hermitism studying away. First year vet school was my "party" year. I'm not talking anything crazy (unlike the rest of my class... gawd professional students know how to live it up) but I certainly had enough time to really enjoy myself. I still played varsity sports in first year vet school too. To me first year is the best time to get a dog. I would have if the place I had been living was more pet friendly. The problem is that in first year the schedule is so different from undergrad and you're so stressed out that at first you feel like you're being totally over run. But I agree... if you feel overwhelmed now.... Let's just say that on some of my clinical rotations I get to school before 7AM and can't make it to my 11PM hockey games. And then have to be in 3 times a day on Saturday and Sunday. And have been woken up twice in one night for back to back GDV surgeries. Enjoy first year! 3rd and 4th years were intended to be complete hell! :blink::lol

Like us on Facebook!

I have two hounds and I work full time so I am gone at least 10 hrs a day. (Luckily I do have a dog door so potty time isn't an issue) My dogs get about 5 hours of time when I am home with them and of that 5 hrs I'd say less than an hr of that is devoted solely to them with walks/feeding/playing etc. They seem to be healthy and happy and well adjusted.

I read this as perhaps Ari is just bored and lonely. The obvious first choice would be to adopt a companion, but I realize that is not feasible. The next thing might be to find some 'busy toys' that interest her that she only gets during those times when you need your peace to study etc. Perhaps things like an irresistable chew like a raw bone or rolled rawhide or a treat filled Kong might help.

Guest KennelMom

...not all greyhounds are low energy. Sounds like you have one of those. Your options are to find someone to get her energy out, find a way to work more time in for her to your schedule or find her a new home.

...re the dog park: what you're seeing is probably not aggression, but a proper reaction to another dog being rude. Plus, greyhound don't tend to play like other dogs, so another dog jumping on her back is likely to be perceived by her as unacceptable. I don't like dog parks and I really don't like them for greyhounds. It tends to be a place where people take dogs "to be socialized" and "burn off energy" which creates a lot of problems...dog parks *should* be for dogs who are already properly socialized and don't have pent up energy to burn. this article may give you some insight: http://www.flyingdogpress.com/content/view/42/97/

another negative of dog parks that you learned the hard way - thin greyhound skin doesn't fair well in a disagreement.

What I'm going to say is going to sound a bit harsh but to me, it doesn't sound like Ari is being all that demanding. Sure, she 'may' sleep for 18 - 20 hours a day. But that leaves 4 - 6 hours. You're away for, say, 9 hours with class (8 hours plus travel time/ shopping/ whatever). You sleep for, say, 7 hours. That's 16 hours minimum there where Ari hasn't had any interaction with you (though sleeping near you is important to them). So when she sees you, she probably wants some stimulation and company, and the 2 - 3 hours a day, split into morning and night that she's currently getting, isn't enough for her. Mine are the same. I need to make sure both of them get their two walks of 30 minutes to an hour, plus other outings, about 45 minutes a day of just 'actively' hanging out (grooming, cuddling, playing, whatever) each, and then they both are within two metres of me the rest of the time I'm home. And when they're left alone, they have each other. Before we got number 2, Brandi was even more demanding.

My point is that it sounds like Ari needs more company and attention, hence the energy and attention-seeking when you get home. They aren't fish, or cats, or horses, who can be left alone. They actively seek out our attention and affection. And they do take up time.

As I said, maybe what I've said sounds harsh, and others can let me know.

I agree with pretty much all of this. :nod

Also not wanting to sound harsh, but Ari does need more than basic maintenance, it seems. Yes, there are high-energy greys, and they're not all young - we've just adopted one who is 9 years old and ALWAYS ready for play or a run! I can't imagine we could keep him happy if we were out all day and tired when we came home.

What troubles me is that it seems like many of you are coming to the conclusion that I'm not spending enough time with her. Unfortunately with my demanding schedule, I'm doing all that I can to make her happy, and it seems like it still isn't enough. I really don't want to do this, but does everyone think it would be better for her for me to find her a different home? Thanks again to everyone who replies!

Well, clearly you love animals and want to be a responsible owner, so kudos for that. Sadly, you may be right: she may not be the right dog for you. It sounds as if she'd do much better with a family and a SAH mother, kids to play with, etc.

Best thing to do would be to find your local adoption group and talk it through with them. I know you got her from the school, but an adoption group would certainly be willing to talk and help you decide!

As a fellow vet student, with a greyhound, I can definitely offer you some advice. One: if you feel like you can't handle a dog with the workload of first year, just wait until second year. I promise it's a lot tougher and much more time consuming. My advice is if you feel like you can't really commit the time to a new dog now as a first year, return the dog and wait until a better time.

EDIT: Also, this sounds like the dog may not be the right match for you. I think there is DEFINITELY another dog out there that will be a better fit for your lifestyle. Just my two cents.

Also good advice - and from someone who's been in your situation and knows how things will develop.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but if you are going to have to return her, best do so quickly. For her sake. She'll do so much better if she doesn't have time to get used to your routine and to start to love you to death (as she will!!) before she returns to be adopted out again.

Maybe (as others have suggested) you can find a solution, dogwalkers, time management, whatever. Or an older dog who doesn't need so much attention (but bear in mind that older dogs have their problems too, and there may be incontinence, chronic health problems, separation anxiety etc to deal with) but do think ahead and be prepared for things to get tougher.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Arielle

Sorry to keep beating the same topic to death, but Ari's whining was the worst it's ever been today and I just can't understand why. I had a rare early day today where I was done with classes at noon. I hightailed it home, ate a quick lunch, and then took Ari on a two-mile walk to the baseball field where she ran a few laps. When we got home, she seemed exhausted and passed out on the floor. However, two hours later she was up pacing and crying. Usually I am able to ignore her whining while I am studying, but today was especially loud and both me and my roommate were tarting to get really agitated. I don't think in this case it was caused by boredom or pent-up energy, because she had just been out for more than an hour. Any further insights?

Could she be hungry? After that long of a walk, maybe a snack would help. How often do you feed her?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I know it was mentioned earlier, but is she getting enough mental stimulation? It does sound like she's getting enough physical exercise, but (especially since she's an only dog), it's possible that she could be well-exercised and still bored. Besides doing some obedience work on walks and when you're home with her, you could look into nosework exercises. Nosework is a great mental workout...if she took to it, that would help to burn off a lot of her excess energy. As an added bonus, it's something that requires very little direction from the handler, so you could even hide treats around the home for her to find after you leave for class to give her something to do/think about while you're away.