Growling On Command.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

I've pretty well taught Jayne to growl on command. The signal is for me to tuck her head into my chest, hug her around the shoulders, and growl at her.

It started just as part of our playtime. I roughhouse with her pretty regularly and she play growls at me a lot. Just as a natural part of our playing together we developed a routine where I would tuck her head into my chest and grab her around the shoulders while she growled at me.

Outside of playtime I could grab her in the exact same way and she would just stand there silently.

It took some practice by marking the growl with a "good girl" during playtime and then growling at her to entice her to growl outside of play.

Rewarding with treats did not work at all. She would know I had them then she would do nothing but tricks she already knew to try and get me to give her the treat.

Now that you have the behavior captured, you should try and move her to a growl-on-command too. What a great trick! Just make sure she doesn't try it with someone else! They would probably freak out!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have done something similar with my big boy. I hold my hands up and tell him, "I'm gonna get you!". When I do this, he growls and barks at me, all the while wagging his tail and play-bowing. If you just heard him, you would think he is about to rip someone to shreds. I want to further the behavior to just a single word command, but leave the play-bow out of it, that way when my wife is on walks, if she feels uncomfortable, she can have him growl. It is the suburbs, but there are crazies everywhere!

There was a dog named Teddy that was going to Make Peace with Animals on a haul where we were getting some dogs. Our dogs were dropped first and Kenny, the haul driver, was going on and on about this awesome dog. So he did what haul drivers NEVER do, and pulled this dog off the truck so we could get a look at him. He was without a doubt the ugliest greyhound I'd ever seen :lol But apparently, he had been a kennel favorite (clearly, as he was probably 15 pounds overweight from all the treats he'd get) and they taught him all sorts of fun stuff. Kenny's favorite was if you asked Teddy if he were a "mad dog" he'd lower his head and paw the ground like a bull about to charge :lol He tried to get Teddy to do it for us, but what with all the chaos of a haul, Teddy wasn't up to performing. I think that's one dog that Kenny would have kept if he could. He really loved that dog :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

My last dog was a mix, and smart as could be. I taught him to speak, and then I taught him a hand signal for it. I lived in the city at the time, and it could get scary at night. If I saw someone sketchy, I'd give Kramer his hand signal, and he'd start barking like wild thing. Quite handy!

I also taught him to play dead, and then taught him the command "bang bang" and the old "finger gun." So I could point my finger (like a kid playing cops and robbers) and say "bang bang" and he's fall over dead.

A real crowd pleaser!

My friend had a German Shepherd that she taught the same trick to, but her dog would howl and moan as she fell over dead! It was brilliant!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlueCrab

Sounds cute!

Tom has taught Trixie to play dead, which he's quite pleased with. We're now working on the "bang-bang" aspect. She looks at me like I'm nuts. Wish I could train her to cover herself up with her blankie when she's cold rather than lying there whining and bitc*ing until one of us gets up to fix it.

Many years ago there was an act with a guy and a horse where the guy played drunk, would like down to "sleep it off", the horse would lie down next to him, drink out of the "bottle of booze" and then cover them both up with a blanket. Never thought horses to be that smart, but this one obviously was pretty sharp. ;)

Guest Wasserbuffel
What a great trick! Just make sure she doesn't try it with someone else! They would probably freak out!

Honestly, anyone who grabs a dog they're not familiar with in the way that singnals Jayne to growl is asking for worse from the dog!

I also taught him to play dead, and then taught him the command "bang bang" and the old "finger gun." So I could point my finger (like a kid playing cops and robbers) and say "bang bang" and he's fall over dead.

Jayne knows that trick too. She does, however, take her sweet time "dying". If her pillow is near by, she'll walk over to it so she can "die" in comfort. On top of that, her head is a zombie. When she is laying on her side, her head just keeps popping back up every few seconds.

Ha! Topper does the same thing, but I call it the "Lazarus Trick", as he barely stays dead long enough to be rewarded, before he pops right back up!

tcmud1.jpg
Jen and Topper. Missing Cole
(Kiowa True Topsy)(Cry Kohlton)