Beyond Frustrated

Guest BrianRke

I didnt read all of the responses so this may be a repeat. Diarrhea is usually coupled with gas. Gas in the intestines can press on the bladder producing a strong and urgent need to urinate.

The two things are not seperate issues.

Guest BorzoiMom

No room for crates? Stack them. I had 3 crates in my 450 sq foot apartment, 2 beside each other and one on top. The lightest dog went on top. I covered the edge with a bath mat to prevent toes from getting caught. I have Borzoi.

First of all, I'm very sorry for you to have to deal with waking up to a mess, or a mess in the making. We've woken up countless times to Ryder puking, and I know how disruptive it can be to your sleep and really, your lives.

If he seems to get into everything to no avail to you locking it up, I would suggest booby trapping the area. The cans that knock over if he is doing something he shouldn't, or to fall out if he gets into a cupboard, duck tape areas his paws shouldn't touch.....etc. Leaving food out for the cats 24/7 is too big of a temptation for him to resist, and frankly, I can't blame him for wanting to eat it. It's RIGHT THERE! It's too bad you can't put it out for them at a scheduled feeding or in a room he just can't access but they can (like a cat door in a door to a laundry room).

Regarding training to tell you when they should go out.....as mentioned, when they have D, it's really hard to tell you they have to go because of how fast it can onset - you know how you feel when you gotta go...happens quick. I am also a believer in schedule, and it was really out of necessity when Ryder came around, because he would pee, and I'd scold him to stop because it's such a mess and then realize, well, I didn't know you had to go....sorry :blush

Kasey developed really good signals to tell us he had to go, and it seems to have occurred on it's own, although perhaps somewhere down the road we had a hand in it. At the old house where we had a yard, there was only one way to go out, through a door with a handle. He would hear the handle getting jiggled before going out, and that was how we would call him to go out. He eventually realized he just had to touch the handle to make a "tink" and we would get up to let him out. (Kasey is not very bright - not like his brother, but if he figured this out, seemingly on his own.....well...I do think it is trainable). His other signal is to pick up his favorite stuffy and pace with it in his mouth, his tail held high. If it gets to this, it usually means "I REALLY HAVE TO GO MOM". He does this now, because we do not have a handle to tink. He will also stand at the door with stuffy in his mouth and we just have to notice, since the handle doesn't tink.

Ryder paces the house in general when it's time to go, so that's the signal we have learned for him. If it's been a couple hours and he hasn't been out, he will pace and we just have to put 2 and 2 together and get him to go. I meant to train him with bells (he's very bright) but I haven't been able to get a set to teach him with. Perhaps at Christmas time.

Good luck. I can feel the frustration in your words. Let us know how it progresses.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sailor is a great dog most of the time. When I'm not home, hes loose and muzzled. He tries to get any food possible. He kicks unopened bags of food until they explode and knocks down baby gates to get to cat food. Whenever he does this he ends up with bad diarrhea.

I skimmed the repsonses, but have you given any thought to why he does this? Could it be that something is bothering him so he's trying to get to any food he can? Is it behavioral or physical? I think your question is how to manage him when he's sick, but I'd want to know why he does this manic eating in the first place.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

We didn't have the tummy problems with our hounds when they got into the cat food, but they did go for the cat food until we made it completely inaccessible to them. We ended up putting the food on top of 7' bookshelf, then putting a cat tree next to it. Worked great! Even the iggy couldn't climb the tree to get to the food, but the cats had no problem. In fact, the cats really liked it. They could crouch on top of the cat tree or the bookshelf and beam evil laser beam eyes at the dogs all day long :P .

We put cat food in the master bathroom and a litter box in our bedroom. When we're not home we leave the bedroom door shut. Scott put a cat door in the bedroom door so the dogs can't get in and the cats have their own room and go in and out as desired. Scott did remove the flap so it's very easy for the cats.

Alice (missing 12/7/05), Wonder and Ben

Alice%20Sig.jpgWonder%20Prof%20Sig.JPGBen%20Sig.jpg

And our beloved Bridge Kids... Inky, Maui, Murphy, Ragamuffin, Della and Natalie

Sailor is a great dog most of the time. When I'm not home, hes loose and muzzled. He tries to get any food possible. He kicks unopened bags of food until they explode and knocks down baby gates to get to cat food. Whenever he does this he ends up with bad diarrhea.

I skimmed the repsonses, but have you given any thought to why he does this? Could it be that something is bothering him so he's trying to get to any food he can? Is it behavioral or physical? I think your question is how to manage him when he's sick, but I'd want to know why he does this manic eating in the first place.

Deirdre makes an excellent point. It's tempting to think it's just a dogs-will-be-dogs thing. But having a greyhound with malabsorption/diarrhea issues myself, I know it can be an intestinal problem. My dog was chewing wood (window sill, rocking chair) since there was no food to get into! If keeping cat food away from him doesn't solve the problem immediately, you should probably go to the H&M forum here and to the vet.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

His diarrhea is gone and his poop is nice and firm. His poop is normally great except when he gets into things. He gets about 3.5 cups of Natures Domain a day and his weight is great and so is his health, so I really don't think there's a malabsorbtion issue. He just seems to be a food obsessed dog. He has never chewed or eaten anything that is not a food product. He doesn't even play with toys. His life is about me and food and he doesn't care about much else. If I am around he is very respectful (yet hopeful) when I eat and doesn't get into trouble, but does get up every so often to see if food has suddenly appeared in different places. He reminds me of a lab when it comes to food. I can even hand him a glucosamine pill and he will eat it plain.

Seconding the possibility of changing the door to whatever your "cat room" is to a door you don't mind having cut a hole into for a cat passage. We have old, really nice wood doors in our house, but a cheap hollow core door from Home Depot/Menards/Lowes/building supply store of your choice, could be a savior for your sanity. Close it when you aren't going through it, and the cats can make it through their own passage. And since it's a scrubby door to begin with, dog scratches wouldn't be such a big deal either.

That said, feeding cats meals would give you a better ability to see how *they* are doing. If anyone goes off their feed for some reason, or has difficulties with chewing or something. Going off food can be a serious issue (some cats can have severe reactions after 24 hours of no food, so missed meal can be a huge warning sign for you!).