Raw Food Suppliers?

JAJ2010

So I'm toying with the idea of committing to a blog (actually paying for a domain and hosting) about the prey model diet and greyhounds. I've been feeding this way for over 3 years now and haven't killed any pets yet. :lol Hopefully I can help make this less of a scary switch for people.

The biggest challenge for me (after getting over the crunch of bones panic) was where to find meat! I had a hard time trying to find a centralized place to bulk buy food from. So I want to include a list of suppliers and which states they provide service to. Would like to be able to ideally cover the entire USA! :blush sooo....

So if your willing to help.... Who do you use or know of? What state are they located in? B)

------

Jessica

Guest KennelMom

http://blueridgebeef.com/ Areas they service: http://blueridgebeef.com/distributors-raw-pet-food.html If there's not a distributor in your area, you can become one. I think they consider an 'area' to be 25 miles.

We buy directly from a local chicken processor: http://www.gentryspoultry.com/ but they'd be local to the Greenville, SC area. Must buy in bulk - 40 lb boxes of chicken and chicken offal.

Guest runner615

We have been using My link for the last few years....we're in NJ but drive the hour and a half once every 6 weeks. The quality of food and their prices are excellent. I did ask them about shipping (a few years ago) and they did,...not sure if they still do. However, if you're a few hours away, it's definitely worth the trip. smile.gif

We have been using My link for the last few years....we're in NJ but drive the hour and a half once every 6 weeks. The quality of food and their prices are excellent. I did ask them about shipping (a few years ago) and they did,...not sure if they still do. However, if you're a few hours away, it's definitely worth the trip. smile.gif

Their beef scrapes got us through some tough financial times! :colgate

------

Jessica

I love "My Pet Carnivore". They are in Indianapolis IN but deliver to surrounding states also for ONLY $10! They have all kinds of meat- I got them some Alpaca meat this last time!

www.mypetcarnivore.com

I have also used raw green tripe form A Place for Paws in Columbiana Ohio but you have to pay shipping there unless you pick it up.

Edited by racindog

So I'm toying with the idea of committing to a blog (actually paying for a domain and hosting) about the prey model diet and greyhounds. I've been feeding this way for over 3 years now and haven't killed any pets yet. :lol Hopefully I can help make this less of a scary switch for people.

The biggest challenge for me (after getting over the crunch of bones panic) was where to find meat! I had a hard time trying to find a centralized place to bulk buy food from. So I want to include a list of suppliers and which states they provide service to. Would like to be able to ideally cover the entire USA! :blush sooo....

So if your willing to help.... Who do you use or know of? What state are they located in? B)

Don't forget local butchers - I can get chicken necks/backs, chicken feet, pigs heads etc for $1 a pound there. Also they sell beef tripe for $5, for the whole thing (approx 20 lbs). Lamb tripe just $2 and you get intestines. Basically anything people don't want they sell cheaply.

Tina

Don't forget local butchers - I can get chicken necks/backs, chicken feet, pigs heads etc for $1 a pound there. Also they sell beef tripe for $5, for the whole thing (approx 20 lbs). Lamb tripe just $2 and you get intestines. Basically anything people don't want they sell cheaply.

Tina

Your lucky! I can't get anything halfway affordable from my local butchers. $1 a lb... Swoon.... :lol

I love "My Pet Carnivore". They are in Indianapolis IN but deliver to surrounding states also for ONLY $10! They have all kinds of meat- I got them some Alpaca meat this last time!

www.mypetcarnivore.com

I have also used raw green tripe form A Place for Paws in Columbiana Ohio but you have to pay shipping there unless you pick it up.

Thanks! I'll add them to the list. I actually just googled and have sooo many! It's going to take forever to organize and see if all these places are still even in business. :o

------

Jessica

Guest greyhound9797

Great idea but you would spend hours upon hours upon hours trying to list suppliers. You could put your local sources but it will be extremely time consuming to do all 50 states. This is what I posted in my Raw Feeding Basics post...

"Do you know any hunters? You will get a gold mines worth of food from hunting that will make me insanely jealous. Check out the supermarket ads, find out when your store reduces their meat for expiration and hit the store then. Try Sam's and WalMart but beware of the enhanced meat, most of theirs is. I found tongue and heart at WalMart tho. There are hundreds of raw food co-ops in the states that offer a large variety of raw food and natural treats. Try http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarnivoreFeed-Supplier/ to see what is in your area or do a google search. Many people post to Craig's List of their local Freecycle board asking for unwanted or freezer burned meat and they are successful in getting hundreds of pounds. "

I would never spend the money to get food from a national business like Hare Today, My Pet Carnivore, etc when I can get the same stuff (actually better stuff) just by taking a bit of time and checking out store ads. No offense to them, but the only thing they offer that most people can't source on their own is perhaps something like elk or pheasant. Even then, if you spend some time and do a bit of research you can find things that you can't get at your local market. I posted an ad on craigslist asking for freezer burned meat. A hunter contacted me and said that he gives away all of the meat in his freezer at the start of each hunting season and I was welcome to it. I scored over 100 pounds of venison for free!

Provide a basis to start (similar to what I have above) and let the reader do the rest of the work. They'll still be grateful to you for getting them on the right path! :)

Sandra in FL

• 2 months later...
Guest greyhound9797
Can anyone recommend a good place for balanced raw food recipes?

There aren't any "recipes" when you feed raw; it's just meat, bone and organs. My "Raw Feeding Basics" thread is a good place to start if you're unfamiliar with raw feeding. There are 13 pages and lots of information but take your time and feel free to ask any questions.

Sandra in FL