What In The World ?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

I have a brand new granddaughter,Sofia who lives with me along with her mom. Bernard Louis has appointed himself as her guardian/nursemaid! Everytime she cries he's right there to see what all the fuss is about. Lately, he's been stealing her baby bottle and chewing on it. He's chewed up three nipples so far. When I hold Sofia, he is right there watching and making sure everything is ok, however lately he tries to do little "flea bites" on the top of her head.What's that all about?

Either affection, excitement, or a bit of both. I would probably gently discourage him (hand gently over snout, "Aaah-aaah") and praise him for being calm but keeping a little distance.

Congratulations on the new arrival!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyers

I believe you are describing "nitting" and I've read that it can hurt when they pinch hard enough.

I've not heard this term before and tried to look it up but kept getting knitting patterns for dogs!! :lol

What is it? Is it a sign of affection?

I believe you are describing "nitting" and I've read that it can hurt when they pinch hard enough.

I've not heard this term before and tried to look it up but kept getting knitting patterns for dogs!! :lol

What is it? Is it a sign of affection?

Exactly. My grey does it when he's happily excited.

Heisman does this to me sometimes, and yes, it can hurt. I don't discourage it, because he only does it to me and I understand that it is his way of saying, "Mommy, I love you." (grin) At least that is what I have read about this behavior. He sure acts happy when does it, not at all aggressive. And besides, it doesn't hurt THAT much.

If he did this to others, and especially to a child, I would strongly discourage it - without punishment, like Batmom wrote above.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

You might want to discourage it, it can hurt some times. Pat's Gizmo is a world class nitter and he got me pretty good once time. I let out a loud ouch and he looked shocked. :lol From that point on I did as Batmom suggested, a little discouragement helped a little but he's only 2 and still got quite excited at times. :lol Other people might not think it's so cute, especially if he does it to their children.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyers

*raises hand for question! :blink:

So a dogs gentle nibbling of something (be it a persons hand, a baby's head, etc) is a sign of excitement or happiness?

My spooky girl, Prudence started this behavior a year or so ago and sometimes nibbles lightly on her bedding. We always thought it was nervousness, but it's never once happened when she appeared nervous or uncertain. Always when she is calm. Do you think she is "nitting"?

Guest shanesmom

Congratulations on the grandbaby! Ace nips me when I come home if he's been left alone for even a minute and when we first wake up in the morning. He does it because he's so excited. I give him a stern no though because it really hurts sometimes and he rarely does it now.

So a dogs gentle nibbling of something (be it a persons hand, a baby's head, etc) is a sign of excitement or happiness?

My spooky girl, Prudence started this behavior a year or so ago and sometimes nibbles lightly on her bedding. We always thought it was nervousness, but it's never once happened when she appeared nervous or uncertain. Always when she is calm. Do you think she is "nitting"?

I have a couple who like to nibble on their beds, i don't view that as nitting because they are calm and relaxed when they do it. True nitters are usually very excited and happy when they nit.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greyers

I have a couple who like to nibble on their beds, i don't view that as nitting because they are calm and relaxed when they do it. True nitters are usually very excited and happy when they nit.

Thank you Jillys for the clarification. Even if its not nitting, at least I now know that it likely isn't a nervous habit.

Ginger does this when we get home from work sometimes. I wasn't sure what she as doing but she wasn't biting so I just thought it was some weird thing she started to do. She hasn't used her teeth so far, she just sort of nibbles with her gums. We also thought she was growling at first when she's super excited, but she's actually snorting and grunting lol.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest FullMetalFrank

Neon is a world-class "nitter" and yeah, it can hurt! Especially when he gets me right on the boob! :wow I am slowly breaking him of the habit, he only does it to me; the boy has a bad case of Mommy-itis! He mostly does it when I get up in the morning, like he is SO happy that Mommy is awake and it's playtime for him.

I've got a nitter, too, Carl. He only does it when he is VERY excited and feeling real skippy. He nits really hard and I've had some very painful nits that have had very noticable bruising. I hate to discourage him when he is so happy, but I do because it hurts so much. I'm the only one he nits on, he has never tried to nit on Ed.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Chloe is our nitter and I have bruises and black and blues when she gets going. I too would discourage him doing it to the baby.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project