Neck Sprain

Guest jnovak4

Guest jnovak4

I don't know how Brianna did it, but 6 a.m. this morning she was screaming in pain. Couldn't tell where she was having the pain in the back or the front. She put her head down to go down the stairs and screamed. Took her to the vet and he said she has a neck sprain. Don't know if her and her sister were playing rough or not.

She is on pain meds and anti inflammatory. Is this a common thing in greyhounds? Does anyone know how to keep her comfortable other than the meds, if she turns the wrong way she screams. She is 8 years old, poor thing I don't know how to make her more comfortable so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks so much

Here it sometimes takes @ 48 hours on meds to see a significant difference (less pain, better movement). If no improvement in that time, I'm back on the phone with the vet. Meantime, I keep dog off stairs and quiet -- leash walks only -- until dog is back to 100% + at least a week.

Hugs and best luck to your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I answered you on the GAA board. I hope she is feeling better by the morning.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Ditto on the keeping her quiet. Often with anti inflamitories and pain meds they overdo it as soon as they begin to feel better. If you can, use a harness to further reduce and stress on her neck.

Foxy had a couple of bouts of neck pain and our vet opted to use prednisone rather than pain meds to ensure the inflamation was calmed down and she didn't over work her neck. Jet has had similar issues twice. Since he doesn't play our vet suggested he likely slept on it wrong. Like us they can get a crick in their neck without doing anything strenuous.

Alternating heat and ice can help a lot too.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest jnovak4

Thanks so much for your advice. The poor dog is screeching in pain when she gets up or has to put her head down to eat or going up and down the stairs. Does this sound familiar? She has only had one pain pill so far so I guess I should be patient, but I can't stand to hear my puppy in pain.

Can you elevate her food and water dishes and keep her off the stairs?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jnovak4

Yes. I'm hand feeding her, but the stairs are inevitable only way out of the house to go potty. Is she having the same symptoms that your greys had? I guess I should give the pain meds a chance to work, but every 12 hours seems too much time in between to me. She saw a new vet at the animal hospital so I guess I'm just leary cause he's new and I want to make sure her symptoms are typical of a sprained neck and not something else. Motherhood is just wonderful isn't it, ha ha.

Guest sweetpea

I went through this with Sweetpea last year. (It's AWFUL, I know, just hang in there!)

What medications is she on? And how much?

I ask because we were on prednisone and Tramadol.

The tramadol did not do much for her pain plus it made her wobbly.

The prednisone was great for reducing the inflammation, which helped her pain immensely.

Unfortunately the pred also made her have to pee 18 times a day and gave her the jitters.

We're in a second story condo, so up and down stairs 18 times was not my idea of keeping her quiet.

And, quiet means quiet, just because she feels better doesn't mean she is better, I don't think I

kept Sweetpea quiet long enough the first time around. (Of course the prednisone reaction didn't help that.)

A week later we went back to the vets, took some xrays, negative. She was still squeaking so we

started her on rimadyl. Then her tummy went south, and bad reactions to rimadyl can manifest there.

So I stopped the rimadyl.

Her pain seemed better, but I wanted it gone.

I started massaging Sweetpea's neck every night. Not too vigorous, just a gentle

rub down from behind her ears to the top of her shoulder blades, like you're giving her

a nice shoulder rub after a hard day. I only did about 5 minutes a night, Sweetpea loved it,

but then she'd walk away when she was done. Oh, I also gave her a doggy aspirin.

(Nutri-vet aspirin liver flavor chewables).

So, while you're waiting for the medicines to do their magic, you can rub her neck.

It will probably help both of you!

Good luck!

Buzzy

accidental masseuse

Edited by sweetpea

Thanks so much for your advice. The poor dog is screeching in pain when she gets up or has to put her head down to eat or going up and down the stairs. Does this sound familiar? She has only had one pain pill so far so I guess I should be patient, but I can't stand to hear my puppy in pain.

Very familiar. A sound that rips right through your heart.

Yes. I'm hand feeding her, but the stairs are inevitable only way out of the house to go potty. Is she having the same symptoms that your greys had? I guess I should give the pain meds a chance to work, but every 12 hours seems too much time in between to me. She saw a new vet at the animal hospital so I guess I'm just leary cause he's new and I want to make sure her symptoms are typical of a sprained neck and not something else. Motherhood is just wonderful isn't it, ha ha.

Most pain meds for dogs are dosed once ever 12 or every 24 hours so don't worry about that. My own meds or arthritis and fibromyalgia are ever 24 hours so I don't really think about it anymore.

Sweetpea is right, massage is another good way to help. Although while she is still very painful some moist head and gentle stroking away from her head is all you would want to do. Try not to mess with her too much or you could actually make it worse. The antinflammatory meds need to kick in for a day or so first.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Lou has the same problem, it has been ongoing for years. Xray was performed and slipped disc in neck, probably old racing injury.

I give Lou 2 dexamethasone at first indication of neck starting to hurt-neck hangs down, and yelps when moves in a certain way.

Pain meds and muscle relaxers when needed. Usually dexamethasone works within a couple of hours. Rest is also important until neck feels better.

Lou visits a chiropractor to keep up with his alignment, once every 2 months.

Good luck.

If Briana isn't taking a muscle-relaxer, ask your vet if that would be helpful. When Sam has trouble with his spinal arthritis, he tenses his muscles along his back and that just multiplies the pain. Methocarbamol (he takes it twice a day) has been a huge help.

When Sam's back is starting to bother him, he tries shaking as if he has water in his coat. If he does that often, I might step up the methocarbamol for a day or two. If he tries to shake and then clamps down quickly, I know he's hurting (even if he's not screaming every time he tries to stand up or lie down--or standing there, swaying with exhaustion, but too afraid of the pain to lie down), and I know to break out the pain meds. But I have to be careful with the pain meds; they work so well my 11-year-old is dancing around like a 2-year-old, and he's not coordinated enough for that any more.

Methocarbamol might make your girl a little drowsy, but Sam has had no problem with drowsiness or dizziness. (Honestly, Sam sleeps 20+ hours a day; how would I know if the meds made him drowsy? :P ) I have spiral stairs at my house, and Sam can manage them fine when he's medicated. And because it's not--strictly speaking--a pain medication (and it's not an anti-inflammatory), methocarbamol can be taken in conjunction with other drugs.

I get Sam's meds from a Walgreens (closer than my vet's), and the meds all come with very long drug info sheets (I wish those came with drugs from the vets, too). The meloxicam Sam takes for pain comes with beaucoup fine-print warnings of possible dire complications. The methocarbamol sheet is much less intimidating.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest jnovak4

Everyone has such great advice. Thank you. Brianna has now had her second dose of Rimadyl 100mg and Methocarbamol 500mg. Hopefully it will start to kick in. If not, I will be definitely calling the vet and asking for the prednisone. Just like having a child in pain, you feel totally helpless. Thank you all again, I will keep you posted.

Guest FullMetalFrank

It is so hard to see them in pain. Some of the screaming is fear; while we know why it hurts when they move their head a certain way with a neck strain, all they know is that it hurts and it's not supposed to. My poor little girl, who had an altercation with one of my other greys last weekend, when I was trying to get her from the vet's after surgery and out to the car, would take a step, look behind her at her back where the biggest laceration was, and scream in fear (I do believe at that point it was more fear than pain, as she was still fairly heavily medicated.) It was as if she thought she was being attacked. Pain meds, and a calm, reassuring attitude from you are what will help the most. Also try to stay on top of the pain. Don't let too much time lapse between doses, try to stick to a strict schedule. I hope your girl is feeling better soon.

Guest jnovak4

Brianna Update

She seems to be doing a little better this morning, not as much screaming. Hopefully meds are starting to kick in. Rimadyl is for a 1/2 pill twice a day. My question is do I have to stick to every 12 hours or can I give it earlier? I want this poor puppy out of pain, I'm an impatient mommy I guess. I don't want her hurting, she is such a clumsy lovey girl.

Best every 12 hours as prescribed. Better this morning is good :) . It can take some time for anti-inflammatories to have full effect.

Be aware that if you wanted to give prednisone, you'd have to stop the Rimadyl and wait a couple days before starting pred. Those two drugs don't mix.

I feel your pain. Many years ago my 125 pound Newfie started screaming for no reason - they aren't know for speed or sudden movements, so it wasn't caused by doing zoomies or rough play. Long story short, it took about 3 days for her to stop screaming, with little improvements each day. She was still "stiff" for another 3 or 4 days. Keeping her "quiet" wasn't a problem and luckily we had no stairs to deal with, so between the muscle relaxers and probably Pred, she was back to normal in about 10 days and never had the problem again. I did go and get a raised feeder immediaately and my three current hounds have always eaten out of raised feeders - 16" high. Suze had a neck sprain, same symptoms, treatment and recovery and she now has an 18" high feeder.

I know it is agonizing to watch and hear their discomfort, but as long as you are seeing small improvements each day, I wouldn't be in a hurry to change meds. I sure hope she feels better soon! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest jnovak4

Brianna Update

It is Monday morning and Brianna is no longer screaming in pain. She is returning to her normal self. Thank for all your comments and help. I love greyhound humans.

Thank goodness!

Aaahhh, yes! The sound of silence! So glad she's feeling better!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead